Author Topic: 1910 Days/Old Steamshovels  (Read 41195 times)

Dale Reynolds

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
Re: 1910 Days/Old Steamshovels
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2008, 10:25:57 AM »
Along with a '1910 days' event, a program of teaching 1910 science/technology to teachers/students of the local middle and high schools could result in funding by exxonmobil and probably others. exxonmobil is very interested in math and science education and not much else. but as long as it goes thru a school system, it could work. money granted by corporation foundations would improve the overall museum if volunteers did the teaching. just a thot to keep in mind. dale reynolds, exxon retiree, pendleton sc

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2008, 06:03:12 PM »
Not a problem Dale - there's one Science teacher already on board  ;)
Moxie Bootlegger

Mike the Choochoo Nix

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2008, 08:59:04 PM »

The biggest is probably at Mount Pleasant Iowa

Or Rollag Minnesota

http://www.rollag.com/

Mike Nix
Mike Nix

Pete "Cosmo" Barrington

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2008, 09:53:20 PM »
Wow!
Now I saw a lot of great stuff down here at the Woodstock (CT) Fair this past weekend. With a bit of effort, I could easily see a multistate antique car show/exhibition happening.
I would not suggest it as part of "1910 days" as most antique autos postdate that time.
There's  a lot that can be done! We shouldn't limit ourselves... TOO much.  ;)

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2008, 12:54:37 PM »
Lots of great ideas being posted here ... having a WW&F steam show is top notch.  Here's another idea that goes with our mission to educate folks on the railroad.  We can put our new flatbed truck in the local parades.  It will look good with the doors lettered WW&F RAILWAY and a handcar in the back.  That will be a nice display that we can get out into the community.  I think it will bring more of the community to the museum.   

Dave Buczkowski

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2008, 03:32:50 PM »
Stewart;
That's what Steve Hussar and I proposed a while ago in support of obtaining the AA Dump Truck. There are many parades in the area during the summer such as Bristol, Round Pond, Somerville, etc. that we could participate in. I think it's a great idea as their are many "from away" people that atttend those parades.
Dave

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2008, 05:06:26 PM »
Hey - take the truck one step further, how about towing a trailer with a "modified" antique car with 2ft guage wheels on the back. (hint hint)

Of course when it's finished................... ;)
Moxie Bootlegger

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2008, 07:09:31 PM »
Dave,  Great minds think alike!   John,  Good thought.  That idea has been kicked around.  Since you brought it up, yes the AA truck could pull a trailer.  There is an old clevis hitch on the frame that could be updated.  The model T railcar would look great riding behind the Model AA.  One thing to consider - The flatbed has mechanical brakes so I don't know how to brake the trailer. 

I'm looking forward to seeing the Model T out on the line ... also, picture both old Fords nose to nose in the shop.  That will be something to see.

Stewart 
« Last Edit: September 20, 2008, 10:22:06 AM by Stewart Rhine »

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2008, 06:04:49 AM »
Stu -  There's always more than one way to "skin a cat".  The AA of course has an electric system - have a trailer with electric brakes and one can manually actuate them using a brake controller from the cab.  In fact as I'm thinking about it, I believe I have an old one in my shed.  I'll have to bring it up with me - 7 pin connection.   :D
Moxie Bootlegger

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2008, 07:41:12 AM »
John,  Here's more info on the truck.  It still has the original 6 volt positive ground electrical system.  The generator was just rebuilt.  There's only one tail light on the drivers side (which doesn't work right now).  I'm bringing some 6v bulbs up next month to see if I can get the tail light working. 

Since the truck is museum property the Board may have to approve any changes above what Henry Ford did. 

Stewart

jockellis

« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2008, 09:03:51 AM »
I doubt very seriously that during the parade you would be driving at more than a couple of miles per hour. Brakes would be pretty much irrelevant. You might have to get the trailer to the parade by a different method, however.
But also have an information booth. Maybe you could borrow some school desks and have a volunteer teach "school" about fin d'ciecle Maine and the industrial base it had and the 2-footers which moved the goods. Take lots of pictures! Film, pixels, etc, too. This would look good to ExxonMobil when applying for a grant.
Jock Ellis
Cumming, GA

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2008, 12:32:37 PM »
Jock,  I was thinking about the AA safely making the drive to a parade.  The AA goes 30-35 tops so it takes a while to get somewhere.  First gear is a granny gear so that will work for parade driving.   It may be better to use a modern truck / trailer if we exhibit the Model T in a parade.   There is a member who has spent many hours building the T in his home shop.  He should be involved in the decision if the T goes on a trip.   I'd like to see it go to Albion for a day once their mainline is fixed up. 

The more I think about it ... the AA truck and handcar can be transported more easily so they could be the primary parade display.     Well - we have all Winter to think about how to promote the WW&F with these artifacts.  I'm sure the Board will have a policy for equipment visits.  It's great that we have these old Fords to make plans with.

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2008, 03:58:08 PM »
Wouldn't it be nice to have a Chevy or even an AB Mack to contrast with those Fords?

And I do agree with you, Stewart, that driving the truck very far will be time-consuming. I do like the idea of the handcar on the back, though. And maybe a couple of volunteers to hand out brochures and/or discount coupons.

As for the Model T, let's get it finished and in service before we make any more plans for it.

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2008, 08:33:50 AM »
Wayne,  I like the old A/B model Macks. I trained on a 1954 B model pumper when I joined my local fire company in the 1970's.  My comment on old Fords is because of their extensive use by the Maine two-footers.  Harry got me interested in their history.  Four of the five operations had Ford track cars and/or railcars.  Here's a short recap -

The Monson had a Model T powered track car.  The B&SR had a Model T 4 door sedan track car (the one with the freight car front wheels).  They also had a Model AA stake body truck for express deliveries.  The SR&RL had the most Ford cars.  They were built in the Phillips shop and used heavy channel stock for the frames.   Car 3 was the large four seat car, Superintendent Vose's car was the open touring car, it survives at MNG.  Track car 2, an open car survives at Owls Head (it's the model for our new track car),  the second SR&RL car 3 was an open frame Model A track car, there's an operating replica at Phillips.  The WW&F had the most original looking Model T.  The open touring car retained it's frame, doors and soft top into the late 1920's.  Our Model T was even more unusual in that it was rebuilt with a closed body.  It sported a rare center door body for it's last few years of service.   

As the Galloping Goose was perfect for the RGS, the Model T fits well on the Maine two-footers.  They were used on other lines but I like the way they look on two foot rails.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 08:56:03 AM by Stewart Rhine »

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2008, 03:51:12 PM »
The small body style of the T does make it a perfect fit.

While on the subject, Jason has started turning the centers for the wheels of Leon's Model T. They are cast from the mold for the pilot wheels of the future #11. Jason said he will turn these smaller and put a smaller tire on them, to keep the weight down.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...