W.W.&F. Discussion Forum
July 25, 2017, 11:39:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Notice: Work Planning: July.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Kennebec Central Passenger Stations  (Read 5449 times)
Allan Fisher
Museum Member
Brakeman

View Profile
« on: August 23, 2008, 02:47:48 AM »

The Kennebec Central had passenger station buildings at Randolph, Chelsea, and Togus. Anyone care to hazard a guess as to how many different station buildings there were at each location over the 36 years of the road's existence.  (Birmingham Road and Pottsville Flag Stops did not have railroad buildings)

Allan Fisher
Bill Sample
Museum Member
Hostler

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 05:37:26 PM »

Allan, I'll guess just one per location.
Keith Taylor
Museum Member
Engineer

Life Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 10:05:18 PM »

I'm betting that over the years there were more than one! Replacing depots that are too small is a common thing to do! Also.....you need to be clear on just what is a "station." A station is NOT a building, it is any location listed in the employee's timetable by name. At a "station" you can have a station building or depot. But not always.
Keith
Mike Fox
Museum Member
Superintendent

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 11:01:57 PM »

I think there were atleast two in Randolph and one building in Togus. I remember reading they had to walk to get from the building to the train. I believe it was a Military building, non-railroad owned.

Mike
Membership Secretary, Life Member, President of ROWMOW 1 Manufacturing, Inc. CMO of off rail equipment
Allan Fisher
Museum Member
Brakeman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 02:53:14 AM »

According to Fourtin Powell's extensive research, there was only one depot building at Randolph and Togus for the entire period the railroad was in operation, and two station buildings at Chelsea - the first built in Sept 1890 and burned by vandals on May 1, 1911, the second was built in 1925.

Allan Fisher
Bill Sample
Museum Member
Hostler

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2008, 04:14:50 AM »

Well, guess I got two out of three - I had better "study" for the next quiz! Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: