Author Topic: Who Am I? or, Let's Introduce Ourselves  (Read 200247 times)

Ira Schreiber

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
Re: Who Am I? or, Let's Introduce Ourselves
« Reply #135 on: December 03, 2017, 02:43:58 PM »
Welcome to our family. Your story is very inspiring.
Keep on steaming.

Bob Holmes

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 03, 2017, 06:39:47 PM »
Alain, I thoroughly enjoyed your website.  Please tell us more about Musée des transports de Pithiviers!

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 03, 2017, 07:53:27 PM »
Alain,

Bob is correct, it is an excellent web site and shows a wonderful collection of railroad equipment in terrific shape.  I know you are as proud of Musee des transports de Pithiviers as we are of the Wiscasset, Waterville and Famington Railway Museum.

I suspect your Museum is now going on a lot of folks 'want to visit' list.

Bill
~ B2 ~ Wascally Wabbit & Gofer ~

ALAIN DELASSUS

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 05, 2017, 12:23:01 AM »
Alain,

First, as a strong Francophile, my having taken my wife to be married in Notre Dame Cathedral de Paris, there by earning an almost unlimited number of romantic points which allow me to leave her several times a year to come and volunteer at the WW&F Ry Museum.  This also allows us to visit France every five years on our anniversary.

Therefore, I am pleased to welcome you and your interest and support for our railroad to our family.  The thoughts you shared in the second paragraph of your introduction on your impressions on how our Railroad Museum is operated for the historical significance and enjoyment of our visitors is why most of us put in the many hours of hard dedication and work to rebuild, maintain and operate our small part of Maine Railroading History.

Thanks for being a part of our Museum and for sharing your love of, and history with, the trains of France and Maine.

Bill
Bill,

Thank you for those kind words. I do like Paris too where I  go there every now and again since I live in the  Orleans outskirts. It's 75 miles away from Paris(only an hour's ride by train) . By the way Pithiviers is located between Orleans and Paris so as you get to Paris every five years why not to go down to Pithiviers visit the museum and ride the train I'll be happy to show you around.

Picsous Alain Delassus

ALAIN DELASSUS

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 05, 2017, 12:31:50 AM »
Welcome to our family. Your story is very inspiring.
Keep on steaming.
Ira,

Thank you so much. The stories of you all in the family is very inspiring as well. I'll keep on steaming you can bank on it.

Picsous Alain Delassus

ALAIN DELASSUS

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 05, 2017, 12:45:49 AM »
Alain, I thoroughly enjoyed your website.  Please tell us more about Musée des transports de Pithiviers!
Bob,
Thank you so much for loggin on the AMTP website  Have a look at the fb. Website and fb are recent tools  for the association. I'll tell you more about our Loiret two footer soon.
Picsous Alain Delassus

ALAIN DELASSUS

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 05, 2017, 01:00:31 AM »
Alain,

Bob is correct, it is an excellent web site and shows a wonderful collection of railroad equipment in terrific shape.  I know you are as proud of Musee des transports de Pithiviers as we are of the Wiscasset, Waterville and Famington Railway Museum.

I suspect your Museum is now going on a lot of folks 'want to visit' list.

Bill
Bill,
Thank you so much. Sure we have a great collection  and the new and young leadership of the association is still improving things. You guys will be welcome in Pithiviers I'll enjoy to show you around.
Picsous Alain Delassus

Benjamin Richards

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: February 02, 2018, 10:20:23 AM »
About 4 years ago, I stumbled upon the WW&F completely by accident, by way of my wife, who lovingly refers to the museum as "the little train". She is the granddaughter of Ken Chaney, of Golden Ridge (which, for those who are not local, is just across Rte. 218 from the museum.) Whenever we visit her family, we are able to hear the whistle from the living room when the windows are open. I try to stop in and ride when I can; my only regret is that my visits cannot be more regular.

I grew up in Western PA, and now live in Eastern PA, where I work in the semiconductor industry. I have been a railfan my whole life: the constant refrain of my early Christmases with Lionel trains under the tree was, "Someday play choo-choo train." I don't "play choo-choo trains" so much anymore, being in the throes of Toddler-dom with our first child and another on the way. Perhaps in a few more years I will hear the same hopeful lament from my own children.

I want to offer these words of encouragement: It is refreshing to see a group with both the skills and the humble dedication to make something like this "work"; who, when asked, "How is it that you have built something so excellent?" would answer, "We could not imagine it another way." To that end I have decided to become a Life member; it's the least I can do given the 400 miles that separate Easton and Alna. Perhaps someday I will make it for a Work Weekend and offer my two hands as well.

Best Regards,
Ben Richards

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 02, 2018, 11:56:22 AM »
Ben,

Congratulations on becoming a life member.  We are looking forward to that future work weekend when we can welcome you to the gang of gandy dancers, or what other work group you choose to share your talents with.  Be sure and remind us of your Introduction note so we can put a face to your history.

Bill

Keith Taylor

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 03, 2018, 08:32:51 PM »
" To that end I have decided to become a Life member; it's the least I can do given the 400 miles that separate Easton and Alna. Perhaps someday I will make it for a Work Weekend and offer my two hands as well.

Best Regards,
Ben Richards

Ben, just as information we have several Pennsylvania members. Wayne L. comes here from Lancaster and Bernie P. from White Haven. My wife and I used to live in Salisbury Twp. (just south of Allentown) as I was an engineer on the Lehigh Valley Railroad and later Conrail. To cut down on the drive...we moved here to Maine.

Keith Taylor

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 03, 2018, 10:27:15 PM »
To that end I have decided to become a Life member; it's the least I can do given the 400 miles that separate Easton and Alna. Perhaps someday I will make it for a Work Weekend and offer my two hands as well.

Best Regards,
Ben Richards

Ben,

We each have our travel difficulties.  I live in Virginia and can only make it up three times a year.  I learned about the work weekends from Jeff Schumaker, who lives in Ohio, and I have been coming up ever since.  Of course the Downeys lived in Texas until Alan moved to Maine.  The true long distance volunteer was Ira Schreiber, who until his recent passing lived in Colorado.

Of course, we all also have to contend with our professional, family and personal issues.  The bottom line is everyone contributes what they can as they and when they can.  Every little piece adds up to create our Museum family.

What remains to be said is the unbelievable contribution that so very many make who live in Maine or in the North Eastern states.  We see their names in the forum posts all winter long, and throughout the year.  They are truly dedicated and it is they who truly keep the doors open, the fires burning, the boiler pressure up, the railroad always moving forward.

Bill

Mike the Choochoo Nix

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 14, 2018, 07:59:49 PM »
Fred, there's at least two members here in Minnesota, where are you from?
Mike Nix

Fred M. Cain

• Museum Member
  • Flagman
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 15, 2018, 06:11:05 AM »

I live in a semi-rural area of northeastern Indiana.

Regards,
Fred M. Cain

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 15, 2018, 08:37:52 AM »

I live in a semi-rural area of northeastern Indiana.

Regards,
Fred M. Cain

Fred,

Whereabouts in NE Indiana? I live in NW Ohio and try to get to the museum 2-3 times a year.

Jeff S.
Hey Rocky, watch me pull a moose trout out of my hat.

Fred M. Cain

• Museum Member
  • Flagman
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 15, 2018, 09:40:29 AM »
Jeff,

Oh really?  What do you do when you're there?  Are you helping work on track?

I live about 15-20 miles southwest from Sturgis, MI, if you know where that is.  I am about 5 miles from U.S. 20.

Regards,
Fred M. Cain