Author Topic: J&L Narrow Gauge Snowplow  (Read 2354 times)

Rick Rowlands

• Museum Member
  • Brakeman
    • View Profile
    • Youngstown Steel Heritage Website
J&L Narrow Gauge Snowplow
« on: December 24, 2020, 09:12:20 AM »
Several years ago I bought this snowplow that had been listed on Discover Live Steam.  It was moved to Davenport, Iowa to a friend's farm, and last week it was moved again to a different location for storage.  My plan is to eventually get it back to Youngstown, however since we do not get massive amounts of snow here, it really wouldn't be used for much beyond inhabiting the end of a spur track. 

The story I was told is that it was originally used at a tie treating plant somewhere in Wisconsin or Minnesota. The wheelsets are much older than the car with dates cast into the wheels of the 1880s, cast by a foundry located in Minneapolis (of which I cannot remember the name right now). 

I am not sure how the various Maine NG operations are set up for snow removal, but if one of them may be interested in a well built HEAVY two foot gauge plow with full width wheels and an adjustable height plow blade, I am the guy to talk to.  Otherwise, it will eventually get moved to Youngstown, painted and set out to pasture to wait for that freak blizzard that dumps enough snow on the railroad to make it worth our while to run a plow extra. 
Rick Rowlands
Chief Engineer
J&L Narrow Gauge Railroad
Youngstown, OH

Rick Rowlands

• Museum Member
  • Brakeman
    • View Profile
Re: J&L Narrow Gauge Snowplow
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2020, 09:12:52 AM »
Another pic of the plow.

Rick Rowlands
Chief Engineer
J&L Narrow Gauge Railroad
Youngstown, OH

Mike the Choochoo Nix

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2020, 11:38:12 PM »
It was from a tie plant in Minneapolis if it's the one Valish had.
If I understand the plant location it was near the Mississippi and was a superfund clean up site.
M. Nix
Mike Nix

Rick Rowlands

• Museum Member
  • Brakeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2020, 09:46:10 AM »
Yeah that sounds like it. 

Thanks
Rick Rowlands