Author Topic: August 2020 Work Reports  (Read 9320 times)

Bob Holmes

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
Re: August 2020 Work Reports - Legacy Honorees 2020
« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2020, 07:31:02 PM »
This post is probably not totally on track for this thread, but I wanted everyone to know that the deadline for submitting nominations for the 2020 Legacy Honorees has passed.  The Committee - me, John McNamara and James Patten -- will review all the nominees (there were MANY!) and recommendations to the BOD for their September meeting.  Thank you to all who submitted nominations.

Bob

Joe Fox

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
Re: August 2020 Work Reports
« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2020, 06:30:53 AM »
Special thank you to TJ, Logan (Freds Grandson), Ed L, Emily L, and J. B for helping change out the rail and hand tamping in the morning. J. B. and Emily were unable to help in the afternoon but we still managed to getanother significant dip out.

I can not stress enough how important track maintenance is on our 3.25 mile railroad.

Alan Downey

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
    • Preservation Pattern
« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2020, 07:48:51 AM »
I spent Saturday going over the new radial arm drill. The machine was working until we unplugged it for the move, but I wanted to "wipe the slate clean" so to speak, before putting it in-service. That means a general cleaning, getting chips out of the T-slots, making some adjustments, and re-oiling the machine. I'm about 50% finished now. I'd also like to install a coolant pump soon. Overall the drill is in nice condition considering it's age, and how we intend to use it. For large workpieces, one can fixture directly to the base of the machine and work from there. For day-to-day use on more moderately sized pieces, there is a table that bolts to the base and raises the work up to a more comfortable level. All of the drilling and feeds are run off the 7.5 HP motor, and the various levers change drill RPM, feed rates, direction, and move the head up/down and in/out. I'll be working with Josh Recave to get our electrical system prepped for the changeover.

To answer Keith, I meant it when I said that all of us in the shop are very fond of the old drill press for what it is, even if it's not up-to-snuff anymore. We are actively discussing what's next in store for it, but scrapping is 100% off the list. Everything else is being discussed.

So this is the new radial arm drill:

Another angle:

For grins, I put our largest drill bit in the spindle (2-3/8"). It looks right at home! Note the 17" of spindle stroke.

In addition to mounting morse-taper bits in the spindle, you can of course us a drill chuck. It came with a Jacobs 20N chuck, which can comfortably hold a 3/8"-1" shank. Side by side with my favorite drill bit... moral of the story with this machine is that it's big, can drill big holes, and hold big stuff.

This is the table, and vise that came with it as well.
Head of Jason Bothering Department
Owner of Preservation Pattern

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2020, 10:40:10 AM »
Is there an antique machinery association or museum we can donate the drill press to?  I don't think it would be wise to have it take up space in the shop if its not being used.  I also would not want to see it scrapped but it needs to find a good home.
Moxie Bootlegger

Stephen Lennox

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2020, 05:01:29 PM »
Anticipated work for Tuesday 18 and Wednesday 19 August 2020.

Tuesday:

*  Picking up/organizing TOM. This will include tie organizing, scrap and the likes
    in preparation for mowing.
*  Switch inspection and review TOM.
*  Locomotive # 9 brake stand installation.

Wednesday:

*  Preparation for TOM switch replacement.
*  Locomotive # 9 brake stand installation.
*  Coach # 9 assembly.
*  Final joint bar tightening (pending)

Keith Taylor

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 16, 2020, 06:23:32 PM »
Is there an antique machinery association or museum we can donate the drill press to?  I don't think it would be wise to have it take up space in the shop if its not being used.  I also would not want to see it scrapped but it needs to find a good home.
It never hurts to have more than one drill press, or lathe, or milling machine.
And those old drill presses are designed to be rebuilt. Back then there wasn’t a throw away mind set.

Keith
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 08:01:13 PM by Keith Taylor »

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 16, 2020, 07:27:41 PM »
I think the old drill press would be right at home in the next large building project..
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Dave Buczkowski

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 16, 2020, 08:28:03 PM »
John,
We are hanging on to the old drill press. It just needs a bit of fluffing up. Interestingly, Alan has been helping me get a 1948-49 Walker Turner 15” drill press I inherited into operating condition. I found a place in Connecticut that can supply virtually all parts needed for it. They even responded to my emails yesterday and today (Sunday). My point is that we should be able to find what we need for the old drill press. Gotta love Google.
Dave

Mike the Choochoo Nix

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 16, 2020, 09:16:39 PM »
You definitely need different size drill presses. A small one for holes 1/2 inch and under and smaller parts, a medium size one for larger parts that one man can lift onto its table and bigger holes. The radial is for big parts and large holes but it's also useful for small holes in big parts that are hard to reposition for drilling.
M. Nix
Mike Nix

Graham Buxton

• Museum Member
  • Brakeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 16, 2020, 09:58:12 PM »
Perhaps the sawmill/shingle mill planned for Top of the Mountain needs an under-roof space for 'mill maintenance' tooling like that drill press.  8)

The steam engine powering the mill might then also need an alternator to run the drill press. :o
Graham

Carl G. Soderstrom

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 16, 2020, 10:48:01 PM »
Or line shaft?

Paul Uhland

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 17, 2020, 11:16:14 AM »
Last thing I'd do is part with that latest drill press.
You never know what it will be useful for...
Paul Uhland

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 19, 2020, 05:48:17 AM »
Anticipated work for Saturday, Aug 22:

* Ice Cream Eggspress - combining the missed Easter trains with Ice Cream, at Alna Center.
* Pavilion construction
* Vehicle repairs
* Machine shop

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #58 on: August 19, 2020, 08:30:14 AM »
Anticipated Operations for Saturday, August 22nd:
9:00am: Handcar Hop on Mainline (if not annulled due to lack of ticket sales.)
11:00am: Handcar Hop on Mainline (if not annulled due to lack of ticket sales.)
1:00pm: Ice Cream Eggspress to ToM and return. Ice Cream and Egg Hunt at AC. Tickets Available.
3:00pm: Ice Cream Eggspress to ToM and return. Ice Cream and Egg Hunt at AC. Tickets Available.
5:00pm: Picnic Dinner Train to AC with Author Bill Kenny discussing "A History of Maine Railroads". Tickets Available.

Assistance always needed crewing trains - contact crewcaller@traincrew.wwfry.org to sign up, or learn how to be qualified.
All trains in 2020 are limited to 40 passengers and all tickets must be purchased in advance.
Visit www.wwfry.org/tickets to buy tickets.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 19, 2020, 10:01:44 AM »
Pavilion work will possibly only be in the morning. I don't want to disturb our guests in the afternoon..
Mike
Doing way too much to list...