Author Topic: Outside the box idea for revenue  (Read 3269 times)

Roger Cole

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
Outside the box idea for revenue
« on: July 09, 2020, 10:09:58 AM »
This probably would go against the authenticity aspect of the WW&F, but I'll toss it out there anyway.  How about outfitting a caboose with RV-type amenities and rent it out for nightly stays at TOM.  Instead of destroying the historic fabric of an old car, a new one could be built with modern conveniences.  I'm sure lots of people would like to spend a night and it could bring in a steady source of income when the railroad is running. 

Back in 2015, my wife and 2 adult children spent a night on the Castaway Caboose which operated on the Durbin Rocket line in Durbin, WV.  We had a great time and would love to do it again, but my health condition prevents that.  I'm including a link to the Castaway Caboose as well as a couple of photos from our adventure.

https://mountainrailwv.com/tour/castaway-caboose-overnights/

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
Re: Outside the box idea for revenue
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2020, 11:27:01 AM »
Roger, you are not too far off. This has been talked about for years, even before we laid the side track at TOM. You would have to like the wilderness, because there is definately nothing there, including good cell service.
Right after we laid that track, the bridge happened. So everything was dropped for now. Maybe, someday, we will get back to it and start thinking again.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Roger Cole

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2020, 12:06:46 PM »
A lot of people must like the wilderness as they are sold out this year @ $330 for the 1st night.  The siding where the caboose is set off is 5.5 miles south of Durbin, WV and is very remote with no cell service.  You can fish or wade/splash in the Greenbrier River which runs alongside the line.  They provide everything you could need including firewood and a snakebite kit.  The Durbin Rocket only runs Thu-Sun.  The morning run picks up the caboose(s) where guests are leaving and brings them into the Durbin Depot where a cleaning crew attends to the caboose before picking up new guest for the afternoon run back down the river to the siding.  Back in 2015 when I made reservations in early January, all that was left for that year was a couple of dates for a Thursday.  Great memories that I will treasure forever.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 02:46:53 PM by Roger Cole »

Dave Crow

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2020, 12:07:55 PM »
Well, there is historical precedent in that some of the Sandy River equipment became hunting camps.  A replica caboose or boxcar could be turned into a camp, although we have plenty of other things on the burner now.

Joseph Lupinski

• Gandy Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2020, 01:04:50 PM »
If this is spot for outside box thinking personally felt that the organization should rework it's youtube channel and start doing a series of videos and talks discussing history and ongoing projects.  These types of videos are very popular and some great examples are the Tank Museum of Bovington in England and Lawrie's Mechanical Marvels:

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheTankMuseum

https://www.youtube.com/c/LawriesMechanicalMarvels

With all media people that come to shoot think some might help in creating these types of video's which would serve purpose of some revenue from ad's as well as getting word out on the railroad to others around the world.

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2020, 01:14:55 PM »
A couple of thoughts...

We've been in active discussions with one of our partners to develop a railroad-based B&B similar to what is being proposed. The COVID situation has put that all on (temporary) hold.

If anyone would like to become involved with the management of our YouTube channel (or any of our less-loved social media platforms) - please feel free to shoot me a message. This could include creating content, etc.

-Ed
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2020, 11:02:45 PM »
I stayed in the Durban Rocket caboose the first year it was offered. At that time it was a nicely restored wooden crummy outfitted like an RV.  They parked it at the then end of track as the track beyond that point was washed out. There was a nearby stream that was hooked up to provide water for the shower and toilet. There were potable water and wastewater holding tanks. They provided a picnic table and grill. There was no cell service at all and the nearest house was 5 miles back up the track. After sunset it was really, really dark.  We loved it.
~ B2 ~ Wascally Wabbit & Gofer ~

Al Michelis

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2020, 07:19:39 AM »
Both the YouTube and caboose ideas are workable, definitely worth considering, but would require a great deal of dedication.  A YouTube channel can be monetized and provide income.  However, it would be a huge effort as videos would need to be produced regularly.  Adele and I follow several people who make a significant portion of their income doing this.

Stephen Piwowarski

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2020, 12:07:59 PM »
If this is spot for outside box thinking personally felt that the organization should rework it's youtube channel and start doing a series of videos and talks discussing history and ongoing projects.  These types of videos are very popular and some great examples are the Tank Museum of Bovington in England and Lawrie's Mechanical Marvels:

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheTankMuseum

https://www.youtube.com/c/LawriesMechanicalMarvels

With all media people that come to shoot think some might help in creating these types of video's which would serve purpose of some revenue from ad's as well as getting word out on the railroad to others around the world.

That's quite clever Joseph. I did one sort of informative-educational video for the railway on the flanging machine we built a few years back and that was well received and generated some followers. I think something like this needs to be pretty well planned out, curated, and would need a champion to dedicate themselves (and the volunteer time) to making it happen. I think it is a great idea, but I know, given the other plates that I balance in terms of marketing and interaction, I could not add it to my personal stack right now. If someone else was interested in taking this on , I'd be interested in hearing from them!

Steve

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2020, 02:58:38 PM »
One would need new content about once a week. Several that I follow have a set dat of the week they release a new video. It is usually something that was recorded recently, but could be several months old. One of the channels said he spends several hours a couple days a week to put together a video, not to mention the time recording..
Mike
Doing way too much to list...