Author Topic: What are the benefits of Membership?  (Read 5573 times)

Benjamin Maggi

• Museum Member
  • Flagman
    • View Profile
What are the benefits of Membership?
« on: May 26, 2020, 10:31:44 AM »
This is a real question. I joined the forum nearly 10 years ago but rarely am on (I only have 13 posts!). I live in eastern NY and the chances of visiting here regularly are nil. But, I love what you guys are doing, and my wife and I had a blast in 2017 when we visited.
https://dandhcoloniemain.blogspot.com/2017/06/maine-trip-pt-1-ww-f.html

As someone who is a minority shareholder of a small freight and tourist railroad with a steam engine, I know the trials and tribulations you guys face. Well, partly... our parts are bigger and easier to source than 2' gauge parts.

I am looking at membership, and even life membership, and wondered if you got anything besides the newsletter and the satisfaction of helping the railroad continue. I am not discounting the later, but the website doesn't mention anything like train tickets, museum vouchers, etc. Other railroads with memberships sometimes offer these and I wasn't sure if the WW&F did it as well. Or if it was just the newsletter.

Again, not trying to sound cynical... just wondering. Thanks!

Ben

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
Re: What are the benefits of Membership?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2020, 10:54:09 AM »
Someone that becomes a member gets the following:
* A newsletter every 2 months.
* Access on the forum to all WW&F newsletters ever.
* A dollar off of your train ticket.
* The satisfaction of helping the railroad continue  :D

And if you become a life member, half of your life membership goes into the endowment, plus you never get bugged again for membership renewal (we'll still ask you for money, however).

Benjamin Richards

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2020, 11:44:38 AM »
And if you become a life member, half of your life membership goes into the endowment, plus you never get bugged again for membership renewal (we'll still ask you for money, however).

I know right now we are focused on meeting the immediate needs for 2020, which is understandable. But in general, I don't think the endowment gets the attention it deserves. I chose life membership to make a statement about the importance of the endowment.

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2020, 12:00:13 PM »
In addition to the benefits mentioned earlier, if you can manage a trip or two to the museum each year for the annual work weekends, you will meet an incredible array of people from all over this country and beyond, and they will become your friends. They will teach you, if you are interested, any number of skills necessary to build and maintain a great piece of living history, and you will become part of that history. There is also great food.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 02:59:23 PM by Wayne Laepple »

Benjamin Maggi

• Museum Member
  • Flagman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2020, 12:19:28 PM »
Well I'm sold. My birthday is in a couple of days and I didn't know what to get me. I just signed up for membership, and bought a couple of the Narrow Gauge in the Sheepscot Valley books, Volumes IV and V. Oddly, I was just talking with Chris McChesney's dad this morning about something in the books. Perhaps that pushed me over the edge.

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2020, 12:31:30 PM »
I just signed up for membership

Yay! Welcome aboard, Ben!
In turn, I have added membership privileges to your forum account. Now you have access to "Members Only" discussions, all back issues of the Newsletter, and can even see the notes and reports of Board of Director's meetings.

If you (yes YOU) are reading this and are NOT a member - be like Ben! Please join today.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Benjamin Maggi

• Museum Member
  • Flagman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2020, 12:51:32 PM »
Thank you Ed and all.

Since my wife's favorite lobster place (Red's) is just around the corner, perhaps in the future when this pandemic gets itself sorted out we can come up for a visit. I wouldn't mind coming up for a workday weekend either.

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2020, 01:29:55 PM »

I know right now we are focused on meeting the immediate needs for 2020, which is understandable. But in general, I don't think the endowment gets the attention it deserves. I chose life membership to make a statement about the importance of the endowment.

I should point out that it was only last year that we did this.  Prior to that, until May 2019, all Life membership receipts went into the general fund to pay the bills.  I agree, the Endowment does need additional attention.

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2020, 03:02:15 PM »
I'll let you in on a little secret, Ben. Sprague's, just across Route 1 on the Creamery dock, is just as good as Red's -- and no long lines. YMMV
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 03:32:21 PM by Wayne Laepple »

Benjamin Maggi

• Museum Member
  • Flagman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2020, 03:39:36 PM »
I don't eat lobster, and she loves Reds, so...

Bob Holmes

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2020, 06:35:53 PM »
Believe me, Life Membership is a bargain!!  I made that decision several years ago, and have continued to support the museum each year in the annual fund drive.

Dave Buczkowski

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2020, 07:41:49 PM »
Ben,
Welcome aboard! To echo and amplify Wayne, not only will you find life long friends but you will become family. You’ll wonder how you ever lived without the Spring and Fall Work Weekends. Of course, family includes weird uncles and crazy cousins. Our family is one you look forward to seeing.
Thanks for joining us.
Dave

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2020, 09:29:47 PM »
Ben,
Welcome aboard! ... Of course, family includes weird uncles and crazy cousins. ...
Ben,

As one of the weird uncle and sometimes crazy cuzz'n, welcome aboard.  We are all looking to seeing you at a work weekend, perhaps in the fall if this current unpleasantness resolves.

Bill
~ B2 ~ Wascally Wabbit & Gofer ~

Benjamin Maggi

• Museum Member
  • Flagman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2020, 07:18:23 AM »
I don't mind coming up for a work weekend, though being an 11-hour round trip I will need to find someplace cheap to crash for the night.

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2020, 07:56:42 AM »
You might be surprised to know, Ben, that work weekend volunteers come from as far away as Pennsylvania, Virginia, Ohio, Florida, and even occasionally from overseas.