Author Topic: May 2020 Work reports  (Read 20693 times)

Fred Morse

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
Re: May 2020 Work reports
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2020, 01:47:27 PM »
Today at the museum a number of people were working at many locations. Stewart was painting on the car barn, Llnda was doing archives, Phil was has been working on car wheel bearings. the Rest were doing track work at Mikes culvert repair lead by Jason. Seems like old times. We are all keeping our distance from One another.

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2020, 09:10:32 PM »
[Moderator's Note]
A discussion regarding personal interpretations of the currently enacted Executive orders within the state of Maine in regards to the COVID-19 Pandemic has been split from this topic.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2020, 07:11:13 PM »
During the week, due to the lifting of some restrictions related to Covid-19, several volunteers arrived looking for something to do. On Wednesday, they installed the 4 new ties (the ones James and I removed were kind of punky) and dropped some ballast. They will jack and tamp when they can, and bring in more ballast.

This shot shows the gradual dip to the culvert, about 60 feet long.

Working by myself, I unbolted and unspiked the 2 lengths of rail I needed to remove to work on the second repair.

A view of the dip over this culvert

I used the Kubota to move the rail

Then out come the ties. These seem ok for the most part.

Ties removed I then moved the ballast.

Looking in the pipe from the outlet. Another puncture in the top. The light before the puncture is where the 2 pipes had come apart by 6 inches or more.

Started digging after lunch, approx 12:15.

Water flowing out from under the pipe.

We got (I was joined by James and Brendan at this point) the first piece installed on some very firm gravel that the Marine Corps installed in 2001. Time was 3:15..

Looking North from Sheepscot Mills North whistle post, end of the day..

Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Carl G. Soderstrom

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Looking for 2' NG knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2020, 12:20:59 AM »
Thanks for the hard work Mike and James & Brendan.
and thanks for the pix.

Jason M Lamontagne

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2020, 07:25:09 AM »
Thanks for the report, Mike, but I want to clarify your first statement.

The volunteers who performed the track repair last week were asked to join us for this specific purpose (as opposed to just showing up).  Our goal is to keep the railroad passable (keeping up with Mike’s repairs), for unexpected circumstances that may pop up.  That has already happened: on the Mountain we have some severe sun kinks on unballasted track which will require treatment ASAP in June. 

We’re working on developing a protocol for open volunteering to resume in June- as were going to need it to get work done.  As of now the railroads policy basically an extension of Dave’s statement in April, as far as I know.

Thanks,
Jason

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2020, 06:19:43 PM »
Could someone please clarify/qualify the term "Open Volunteering".  As far as I am aware anyone from out of state will have to "quarantine" themselves for 14 days before moving about Maine.   To my understanding that is still in effect until 30 June.  I would gladly be corrected to a shorter time frame........
Moxie Bootlegger

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2020, 08:52:53 PM »
With fingers crossed, I hope the governor lifts the 14 day quarantine in her next revamp of the Covid-19 response. She has been under increasing pressure from the camp grounds, hotel industry, and lots of other tourist dependent organizations that are dependant on the all mighty tourist buck. Only time will tell.
Mike

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2020, 10:55:53 AM »
I had taken these pictures a few weeks ago of the seperated pipes at the repair we are doing currently.

Looking in at the pipes.

Looking at the track. The timbers running up the bank are from an old make shift set of stairs an abutter had built for a trail to go up the bank. The trail followed the tracks from here north to Humason Trestle, where it went to the west just prior to the trestle. The timbers above them are from a failed retaining wall, which is what started this whole project to begin with..

Mike

ALAIN DELASSUS

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2020, 11:21:53 AM »
 Good job of work Mike and thank your for the photos and report .

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2020, 03:42:39 PM »
Hmmm.  I wonder where the phone line is in that section.  Must be beyond the end of the culvert.
What–me worry?

Paul Uhland

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2020, 04:21:56 PM »
Thanks, Mike, for your thorough, competent, track maintenance and repairs.
Sun kink stretching should be fun.

Not.
Paul Uhland

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2020, 05:28:24 PM »
Hmmm.  I wonder where the phone line is in that section.  Must be beyond the end of the culvert.
I haven't found it yet, I think.. The last pipe I did I found some caution tape that was buried as fill. That made me stop for a second and look for the wire.
Mike

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2020, 06:32:11 PM »
Pretty certain the phone line is at the woods line, although I didn't see (wasn't looking for it) when I dove into the woods to check out Humason Brook.

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2020, 07:11:13 PM »
I think that in some cases the phone line passes over the culvert about a foot from the end. Other times it is at the woods line.

Bill Piche

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2020, 07:57:59 PM »
I think that in some cases the phone line passes over the culvert about a foot from the end. Other times it is at the woods line.

If the line is in roughly the same place north of that crossing\switch as it is on the south side then it's right at the woods line. I remember that because there was a repair I was told of that was in that area a few years ago.
Engineer/Fireman, MNGRR/WW&F/Essex
"Any day with steam is a good day." - me