Author Topic: Maine Loco & Machine Works Diesel  (Read 2191 times)

Ted Miles

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
Maine Loco & Machine Works Diesel
« on: April 18, 2020, 04:15:47 PM »
Recently i saw a small Diesel belonging to the Maine Loco & Machine Works. the caption said it came from the Pine Creek Railroad in New Jersey. Their roster contains three Plymouth Diesels from US Steel in 24" gauge. They are #10 and #11 and one Number Unknown.  One was leased or sold to Maine Narrow Gauge in 1998; does anyone know which is which?

The move to Maine is a good thing, as the Pine Creek track gauge is 36" not 24". So it means that these sales will make some dollars for Pine Creek Museum and put the little guys to work.

The other  24" gauge Diesel at Pine Creek is the Haws Refractories No Number; it is a Plymouth gas Model JLA/2 built in 1942 which was converted to Diesel in about 1979.

Thanks for your help.

Ted Miles, narrow gauge fan

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
Re: Maine Loco & Machine Works Diesel
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2020, 07:11:31 PM »
Ted,

Saw the same picture; as a former Pine Creek person my best recollection is that unit is #11.  I seem to remember that #10 had a major engine issue.  Now don't quote me as it was a long time ago and we all know what happens with age....
Moxie Bootlegger

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2020, 07:23:19 PM »
Recently i saw a small Diesel belonging to the Maine Loco & Machine Works. the caption said it came from the Pine Creek Railroad in New Jersey. Their roster contains three Plymouth Diesels from US Steel in 24" gauge. They are #10 and #11 and one Number Unknown.  One was leased or sold to Maine Narrow Gauge in 1998; does anyone know which is which?

The move to Maine is a good thing, as the Pine Creek track gauge is 36" not 24". So it means that these sales will make some dollars for Pine Creek Museum and put the little guys to work.

The other  24" gauge Diesel at Pine Creek is the Haws Refractories No Number; it is a Plymouth gas Model JLA/2 built in 1942 which was converted to Diesel in about 1979.

I was looking in my Plymouth book and found a JLA/2 built 7/15/1942 with a Climax R41 engine, 97 HP, 12 Ton, Gasoline Mechanical. This was built (#4438) for Haws Refractories Co in Hawstone PA, went to Acme Brick in Tulsa, and ended up at NJ Museum of Transportation, Pine Creek RR #1, Alliare, NJ, but is 36". I wonder how it fits into this picture.....

Ted Miles

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2020, 12:22:17 PM »
John,
        Thank you for mentioning the Haws Refactory loco; I had it on my Pine Creek roster but did not have the construction number.

The question about US Steel #10 and #11 still stands.

Ted Miles, WW&F Member, narrow gauge fan