Author Topic: Rescheduling the SWW? Speculation Thread  (Read 13064 times)

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
Re: Rescheduling the SWW? Speculation Thread
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2020, 07:25:44 PM »
While I suggested a Work Week leading up to the annual picnic in August, that may be too early in the recovery from this pandemic. So perhaps some though could be given to a Fall Work Week leading up the previously scheduled Fall Work Weekend. But at this point, even that may be optimistic. I don't know that any plans should be cast in concrete at this time.

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2020, 07:57:31 PM »
Well, I was planning to be in Italy for a couple of weeks before FWW but that is now scrubbed, so what Wayne suggests is beginning to sound much more doable.  Although with the working folks it may be more flexible if we have a big "general" to-do list that we could attack early for those who can come up early and just continue the list for those who can only schedule for the week following.  That way we can accommodate as many folks from afar as possible.
Moxie Bootlegger

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2020, 10:07:06 AM »
My thinking on a "Fall Work Week" is as follows.

If it starts on Saturday, Oct. 3 and continues daily through Monday, Oct. 12, it includes the traditional days of the Fall Work Weekend, Friday, Oct. 9 through Monday, Oct. 12. If even a small contingent of volunteers is on hand between Monday the 5th and  Thursday the 8th, more can be accomplished. Even arriving a day or two earlier for the FWW would add to the pool of volunteers.

Or, if the Fall Work Week begins on Friday Oct. 9 and continues through the following weekend (Oct. 16-17), some folks may be able to take an extra day off after the traditional Columbus Day holiday on Monday, Oct. 12.

On the other hand, with so many people furloughed or laid off during the current COVIS-19 pandemic, many folks may be unable to afford vacation days or time off from work, assuming they actually have work to get back to. We have a lot to think about, and fortunately we have a lot of time to think about it.

Al Michelis

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2020, 10:52:26 AM »

On the other hand, with so many people furloughed or laid off during the current COVIS-19 pandemic, many folks may be unable to afford vacation days or time off from work, assuming they actually have work to get back to. We have a lot to think about, and fortunately we have a lot of time to think about it.

I think Wayne is correct.  I suspect that most of the working-age folks will not be able to participate in any workweek/weekend.  SSW is usually used for ballasting.  Perhaps we could do a little each weekend once we are open again.  A couple of flat cars each day wouldn't tax us older folks too much.

Russ Nelson

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2020, 11:33:08 AM »
Please, let's listen to the doctors and experts who do understand and know how this disease works and spreads. Citing meaningless numbers out of context can only encourage behavior that puts more people in danger and lengthens the outbreak.

We accept other risks all the time. This panicdemic isn't helping us. People need to work. Locking down an entire state for a month is going to produce havoc far beyond the predicted illness. Remember that people suffer and die from bad economic conditions, and we are INTENTIONALLY creating these bad conditions. I mean, geezums, we don't even know what the denominator is! We have no idea how many people have already contracted it, coughed a little, stayed in bed a few days, and are all better and immune now. NO IDEA.

Doctors and politicians are consultants. They'll give you advice, but you don't have to take it.

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2020, 03:18:42 PM »
IF we do a work week, I was thinking that whatever folks are available could do smaller jobs around the campus, such as painting, clean up, organizing, etc. until enough people are on hand to tackle spreading ballast, surfacing or building track. I don't know if anyone will have had time before that for track maintenance, but that is something that a crew of four or five could work at, now that we have the tie changing machine. That same size crew could also do spot surfacing or changing out defective rails.

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2020, 04:18:18 PM »
IF we do a work week, I was thinking that whatever folks are available could do smaller jobs around the campus, such as painting, clean up, organizing, etc. until enough people are on hand to tackle spreading ballast, surfacing or building track. I don't know if anyone will have had time before that for track maintenance, but that is something that a crew of four or five could work at, now that we have the tie changing machine. That same size crew could also do spot surfacing or changing out defective rails.
With Airbnb relaxing their cancellation policy after this weeks extension of travel bans I have read the tea leaves and, regretfully, canceled my SWW lodging. 

By the time this current unpleasantness is over, I, for one, will be ready to smell some coal smoke and steam and get my Sheepscot railroad fix.  I suspect that sometime in late summer or this fall our leadership will come up with a suitable plan and a lot of us will find, or make, the time to convene at our favorite railroad. 

I also know from experience that there is always something to do at the WW&F.  There are plenty local folks, and those who come from afar, who can get a little direction from the local leaders and come up with a plan and a work team to improve and expand our railroad.  I know I plan to make up as much of my missed time as I can, when the opportunity becomes available.

Stay Safe!
~ B2 ~ Wascally Wabbit & Gofer ~

Joe Fox

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2020, 12:40:49 PM »
Graham, typically there is lots of volunteers to help prep for SWW or FWW. Amd we are very fortunate because each work weekend literally requires HUNDREDS of hours of prep work.

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2020, 01:59:01 PM »
Graham, typically there is lots of volunteers to help prep for SWW or FWW. Amd we are very fortunate because each work weekend literally requires HUNDREDS of hours of prep work.
Joe is correct.  I know I have started arriving for the WW's a day early because there are always last minute preparation things that still need to be done.  It is also clear to me that there were weeks of preparation work that had already been completed ahead of the day before.  Everyone does their part to the best of their abilities and availability.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 06:20:52 PM by Bill Baskerville »
~ B2 ~ Wascally Wabbit & Gofer ~

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2020, 05:39:52 PM »
To no-one's surprise, and since it is mandated by the statewide stay-at-home order, the 2020 Spring Work Weekend has been cancelled. A formal rescheduling was not discussed at today's BOD meeting, but it was suggested that Labor Day Weekend may be appropriate.  At the very least, targeted work sessions will resume as soon as it is possible to do so - taking advantage of the railroad's shut down until the Annual Picnic - August 8, 2020. This will continue to be discussed and announced when details are ready.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum