Author Topic: Rescheduling the SWW? Speculation Thread  (Read 13236 times)

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
Re: Rescheduling the SWW? Speculation Thread
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2020, 09:21:13 PM »
Sounds like we may have a viable option with Wayne's idea.
~ B2 ~ Wascally Wabbit & Gofer ~

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2020, 07:06:00 PM »
Due to the COVID-19 (coronavirus) outbreak, Wiscasset Woods Lodge will be CLOSED during the Spring Work Weekend. All extra activities have been cancelled. Those with reservations will be contacted by the Lodge for a refund.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Duncan Mackiewicz

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2020, 01:45:39 PM »
Ed, thank you for the update on the Lodge. Those of us who have either already made reservations or were still planning to do so really appreciate this info.

Russ Nelson

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2020, 08:24:57 AM »
We shouldn't reschedule yet, given that the SWW is a month from now. Conditions are rapidly changing, and if the outbreak has peaked by then, there will be relatively little risk. Remember that 40,000 people die from the ordinary flu each year, 30,000 people die in automobile crashes, 20,000 people shoot themselves, 10,000 people get shot by others. A life free of risk doesn't exist. People who are at greater risk, e.g. with existing respiratory problems, smokers, and the aged (which is anybody older than me :) may wish to stay away. We shouldn't force that decision on them by cancelling or rescheduling, though.

Gordon Cook

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Board Member 2009-2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2020, 09:22:48 AM »
Please, let's listen to the doctors and experts who do understand and know how this disease works and spreads. Citing meaningless numbers out of context can only encourage behavior that puts more people in danger and lengthens the outbreak.
I, for one, do not want to ever think that I may have passed this on to another person, and from what I read you really don't want to take the chance of getting a serious case.
The one thing we do know for sure is that all the projects and plans we have at the WW&F can and will wait, and we want all of our loved ones, friends, neighbors, and fellow WW&F members to be here and healthy when it is safe to come together again.
Gawdon

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2020, 10:25:43 AM »
Gordon has a good grasp of the best way forward. 

Additionally, we must abide by the state guidelines in place at the time of the SWW. 

Even if I wanted to go now, my current understanding is that I couldn't get to the WW&F by driving, my usual mode of getting there, since I have to drive thru NY, which is under lock down.

I have faith in our leadership who have taken, and will continue to take proper steps to protect our volunteers and our visitors during these uncertain and trying times.

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2020, 10:39:02 AM »
Yes indeed. Gordon has the right idea. But I have no faith whatever in our political leadership. I'll listen to the doctors.

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2020, 10:46:33 AM »
In my other life I'm a church musician.

Two weeks ago the pastor and I were deciding what to do in New Hampshire, as the guidelines had not been so strict. (No groups of 50 or more, No groups of 10 or more "at risk" individuals.) We decided to move forward with the service, (we have a very small congregation) but sending a notice out asking (nicely) that if you were elderly or (potentially) sick, to stay at home and watch the service on line.

~30 people showed up for the service (slightly below average attendance.)
Many were age 60 and up.
At least one person was visibly sniffling (seasonal allergies, but none-the-less.)

The following week the guidelines had not changed, but it was clear that we could not trust everyone to do the "right thing." So we cancelled service and had it all online instead. (We still had ~30 people tune in "live", countless others have watched it since.)

I give this example as to remind us that "social distancing" is not about the individual - but the whole population. Those responsible for managing group gatherings are in a pickle, but need to conscious of the fact that not everyone is voluntarily going to adhere to the guidelines set forth.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Mike the Choochoo Nix

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2020, 09:07:35 PM »
I agree with Gordon, everything can wait. If we lose the whole season it's not the end of the world. Our current completion dates are only what we wanted to do, not what we needed to do.
M. Nix
Mike Nix

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2020, 08:17:13 AM »
When we had our last board meeting, the virus was just beginning here in the US. We made a plan, based on CDC guidelines and Bob H., who as some may not know, is a retired Dr. Our April Board meeting is coming up, but not sure how it will be handled because of the virus. Open space would be best. Pavilion?? Plenty of air there.. This is still developing and we will not jeopardize anyones health or safety. We can't trust the honor system because someone might not know they are sick..
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2020, 11:56:16 AM »
Pavilion?? Plenty of air there.. This is still developing and we will not jeopardize anyones health or safety.
For your convenience, the picnic tables are 6 feet long, so two people at opposite corners should be fine. Place the picnic tables in the Pavilion a bit more than 6 feet apart and you should be safe. Since there is only natural light, the meeting will automatically end when you are all in the dark...

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2020, 04:54:02 PM »
... Since there is only natural light, the meeting will automatically end when you are all in the dark...
That should really keep meetings short, at least in the winter months.

Joe Fox

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2020, 05:24:06 PM »
The Governor has just issued a stay at home order April 2nd through the 30th unless going to work at an essential business or doing an essential activity. Guessing Spring Work Weekend will be cancelled. Insteas of mini work weekend through out the year, what if we plan a work weekend in November? Its the off season, and yes I know it is close to FWW, but I am thinking folks are more likely to come for a 3 day weekend then select days through out the summer. Just my thoughts.

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2020, 06:18:15 PM »
Safe to say even before the stay at home order that the SWW was going to be canceled.  At the April 11 board meeting (online) we'll be discussing all this.

Graham Buxton

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2020, 06:48:38 PM »
Instead of mini work weekend through out the year, what if we plan a work weekend in November?
What would work better for me, and possibly others driving a long distance, would be an extended FWW.  Obviously, many people have real jobs ;D and need to get back to work, but perhaps there may be some tasks set up for either pre-WWF or post-WWF that those of us with flexible time on our hands 8) could do.

Left to my own devices, I'd prefer a pre-FWW, but I am willing to do a post-FWW if that works better for others.

For instance,  what is the status of the sanding/painting of the big flatbed trailer?

« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 06:56:41 PM by Graham Buxton »
Graham