Author Topic: COVID-19 (aka "coronavirus") and the WW&F...  (Read 7623 times)

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Trainmaster
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
Re: COVID-19 (aka "coronavirus") and the WW&F...
« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2020, 07:04:10 PM »
FWIW, I was just reviewing Maine's COVID guidelines. All out of state individuals remain subject to a 14-day quarantine upon their arrival in Maine. And, said quarantine is currently "envisioned" to be in effect through August.

No information/clarification/exception is given regarding visitors who have quarantined in a neighboring home state for 14-days (or longer,) and wish to enter Maine for a day-trip or vacation.  Note that this is subject to a penalty of up to six months in jail and a $1,000 fine.

A 10-person limit to all gatherings is also still a part of the order currently in effect. It currently appears that will be increased to 50 people on June 1.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 10:03:39 PM by Ed Lecuyer »
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2020, 09:57:01 PM »
According to their original guidelines, anyone who enters the state must quarantine for 14 days. It does not matter if you have quarantined in another state, you still have to do it here.

But, with no way to track who is where, it is on the honor system. But someone can come from a hot spot within the state and have no limitations.

If you are sick, stay home. If you have been around someone who has been sick, stay home. If you have or are around someone with a compromized immune system, stay home. Simple.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Trainmaster
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2020, 10:08:40 PM »
with no way to track who is where, it is on the honor system.

I wouldn't call the executive order that includes a penalty of a $1000 fine and up to 6 months in jail something of an "honor system." I only saw that clause later today, and it is giving me consideration to pause my personal plans for interstate travel.

Meanwhile, my wife travels into Maine nearly daily for her work.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2020, 10:18:31 PM »
I wonder how, as an outa-statah (from toxic Massachusetts no less), I can obey this. Evidently quarantining in Maine is the only place that counts, and how do I get there? I think the only thing I can do is to drive to my camp with a cooler full of food and stay there for 14 days, periodically visiting take-out places when I have emptied my cooler. Receipts from those places plus the Fast Lane records might possibly be records of my virtuous behavior. Then I could visit the museum and avoid any group of more a few people.

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2020, 10:21:28 PM »
Ed, Thanks for the update on the Maine rules.  It will be interesting to see the clarification on the 14 day rule.  Speculation now for late July/August is somewhat irrelevant at this time as changes are difficult to foresee.  In my case, living in a senior living community, we have been required to be self quarantined on campus for the past 28 days.  As of yesterday we are requested to still stay on campus and limit our outside activities and always wear our mask and maintain social distancing both and off campus.  There are additional requirements should we travel out of town/state.  This is a very unusual time for all of us.  My earlier comment was simply to express my longing for being with my Maine friends and help with my favorite railroad.  I live for the forum and Face Book posts.
~ B2 ~ Wascally Wabbit & Gofer ~

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 14, 2020, 06:46:09 AM »
John, the 14-day quarantine allows you to go to the store to get supplies, but you shouldn't go out for a Sunday drive or a hike on a trail during it, just stay on your property.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 14, 2020, 07:11:42 AM »
with no way to track who is where, it is on the honor system.

I wouldn't call the executive order that includes a penalty of a $1000 fine and up to 6 months in jail something of an "honor system." I only saw that clause later today, and it is giving me consideration to pause my personal plans for interstate travel.

Meanwhile, my wife travels into Maine nearly daily for her work.
It is what I call the honor system. There is no way to track anyone coming and going in the state. The only way I can see to get that fine is to tell them when you arrived. So if you self quarantine, you have honored the guidelines.

I see daily license plates that are not locals, and hope they, if here to stay, have followed the guidelines. Short day trips for essentials (work, shopping) do not require quarantine. No b&b, hotels, campgrounds, etc..

Here is an article on it that explains it fairly well.

https://bangordailynews.com/2020/05/14/news/state/questions-about-the-14-day-travel-quarantine-answered/
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 07:14:57 AM by Mike Fox »
Mike

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Trainmaster
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #52 on: May 14, 2020, 09:25:31 AM »
Thanks Mike for that link. It does clear up a few things.

Also reference the official documents:
https://www.maine.gov/governor/mills/sites/maine.gov.governor.mills/files/inline-files/EO%2034.pdf
https://www.maine.gov/dhhs/mecdc/infectious-disease/epi/airborne/documents/Public-COVID19-FAQ-8May2020.pdf

I wonder how, as an outa-statah (from toxic Massachusetts no less), I can obey this. Evidently quarantining in Maine is the only place that counts, and how do I get there? I think the only thing I can do is to drive to my camp with a cooler full of food and stay there for 14 days, periodically visiting take-out places when I have emptied my cooler.
No, that is not allowed. Someone from out-of-state who is quarantining (in Maine) must not leave the house.

From the official FAQ:
It is mandated that all out-of-state travelers coming into Maine, as well as Maine residents returning to Maine,
complete a 14-day quarantine upon arrival.
This means:
• You need to arrive with enough food for 14 days or arrange to have food delivered to you. You cannot go out to grocery stores.
• Stay at home. You cannot go out to public places.
• Avoid contact with others, especially those who are at high risk of severe COVID-19 illness.
• Keep a distance of at least 6 feet from other people.
• If you are sick, wear a mask that covers your nose and mouth.

Short day trips for essentials (work, shopping) do not require quarantine.
To clarify, this applies only to Maine residents or visitors who have completed the quarantine (and stay within the state of Maine.)

Also, here is another section of the FAQ:
I live in Maine but must cross the state border for work. Do I have to quarantine?
There is no order to quarantine for people who make short trips back and forth across the border for work. Travel should be limited to essential trips.
This is not the same as travel to visit Maine or return from a long-term winter stay in another state, which does require a quarantine upon arrival.

I have to go to a medical appointment out of state. Do I have to quarantine upon return?
If you go directly to the medical appointment and back to Maine, you are not required to quarantine under the Executive Order.
If you go anywhere else while out of state you will need to quarantine upon your return to Maine for 14 days.

That all said, I am not advocating one way or the other how an individual should interpret these orders. I also am not commenting on the enforceablity of these orders. I am simply stating what the orders actually say (along with official clarification statements) so that WW&F Volunteers can make informed decisions.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Al Michelis

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 14, 2020, 10:59:54 AM »
If you are sick, stay home. If you have been around someone who has been sick, stay home. If you have or are around someone with a compromised immune system, stay home. Simple.

Damn it, I was looking forward to getting away from here other than to a store.

Does the gathering of 10 people include the entire campus or just groups on the campus?

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Trainmaster
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #54 on: May 14, 2020, 11:06:26 AM »
Does the gathering of 10 people include the entire campus or just groups on the campus?

I can not find any official information in the Maine COVID-19 web site that explicitly determines this one way or the other.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Benjamin Richards

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 14, 2020, 11:28:48 AM »
Maybe things are deliberately vague for a reason. "The letter of the law" is not what keeps people safe.  There's nothing magical about state borders, or 14 days, or 10 people, or 50 people, or 6 feet. But they have to pick a number.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 14, 2020, 12:12:52 PM »
I'd like to see all our volunteers again some day, so hoping everyone pulls through this fine. We don't need to take chances and infect anyone, or get infected ourself. As one of our regular volunteers said, the museum will be there when this mess is over.
Mike

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 14, 2020, 12:25:30 PM »
Thanks to all for their various clarifications.  I, like Mike, wish everyone to stay safe, and plan on doing my part.  Now I am trying to adjust my expectations and control my mourning for a late July/August Sheepscot reunion and work sessions.  I suspect things will remain in continual flux for a much long time than most of us hoped for and desired.

Everyone stay safe.....
~ B2 ~ Wascally Wabbit & Gofer ~

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Trainmaster
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #58 on: May 29, 2020, 03:03:34 PM »

Official WW&F Face masks are now available for purchase through our gift shop. Cindy has been keeping the shop open for online/mail-order purchases.

Get your mask (and other supplies) at:
https://giftshop.wwfry.org/product/black-face-masks/388?cs=true
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 06:55:30 PM by Ed Lecuyer »
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Al Michelis

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 29, 2020, 04:16:04 PM »
I just ordered mine.  Perfect, as the ones I use now don't fit right (or is that left?) uh, correctly.