Author Topic: COVID-19 (aka "coronavirus") and the WW&F...  (Read 8139 times)

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
Re: COVID-19 (aka "coronavirus") and the WW&F...
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2020, 06:20:57 AM »
It sounds like today Governor Mills will be extending the stay at home order for Maine to some degree.. Stay tuned..
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2020, 09:35:12 AM »
Well, as long as they keep extending the isolation orders, I'll just keep on sending donations from all the gas I'm saving by not driving.
Moxie Bootlegger

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Trainmaster
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2020, 03:49:38 PM »
The "Stay Safer At Home" order is in effect until May 31st. In short, it is basically an extension of the existing order, with some relaxations.
- Gatherings of more than 10 people are prohibited.
- Those travelling to Maine from other states are to self-quarantine for 14 days.
- At risk individuals should take special precautions.
- Businesses may open not based on whether or not they are essential, but if they can do so within the guidelines.
- Most State parks are open and other outdoor recreation is permitted.

Copied from a news site:
Beginning May 1st, Stage 1 continues the prohibition on gatherings of more than 10 people, the quarantine of all people entering or returning to Maine for a period of 14 days, and the special precautions for older Mainers and others at risk of COVID-19. It calls for people who are able to work from home to continue to do so, including State employees. It will also newly require that Maine people wear cloth face coverings in public settings where physical distancing measures are difficult to maintain, and continue strict requirements for long-term care facilities. Guidance on cloth face coverings will be issued in the coming days. Stage 1 also allows for the limited expansion of certain business, religious, and quality of life activities, with appropriate safety precautions.

These include:
  • Health care from Maine-licensed providers, with recommendations that they prioritize care for patients with time-sensitive conditions; assure the safety of patients, staff, and communities; manage the use of essential resources such as personal protective equipment and testing supplies; and pace re-opening services to the level of community COVID-19 activity, maintaining capacity in our hospitals for potential outbreaks
  • Personal services: Barber shops, hair salons, and pet grooming
  • Limited drive-in, stay-in-your-vehicle religious services
  • Drive-in movie theaters
  • Outdoor recreation: guided outdoor activities (hunting & fishing) and restricted use of golf and disc golf courses
  • State parks, state-owned public land trails, and historic sites; although certain coastal state parks will remain closed
  • Auto dealerships and car washes

Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Bob Holmes

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2020, 07:32:13 PM »
Equally important to us are her Stage 2 and Stage 3 relaxation guidelines.  Please study them and let's discuss the implications.

I applaud her careful, measured approach for Maine, as compared to (in my view) reckless steps being taken in other states.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2020, 07:51:18 PM »
I agree Bob. Open things up too quickly and it may enable the spread of the virus again.
Mike

Rick Rowlands

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2020, 11:56:40 PM »
According to the data that I have been following, currently 0.073% of Maine residents have Covid-19 (972).  0.0038% of Maine residents have died (51).   The number of new cases per day is on a downward trajectory.

In comparison, 155 people died in auto accidents in Maine in 2019, three times the death toll of Covid-19.

I am getting similar numbers for Ohio, although Maine overall has a lower chance of dying than we do in Ohio (1 in 26,000 chance vs. our 1 in 16,000 chance). 

At some point someone has to start counting the economic effects, the increased suicides, increased domestic violence, child molestation etc. and realize that in their zeal to save a few more lives at the front end, we will be losing far more at the back end.   Unfortunately our modern society and media does not reward people for making rational risk/benefit analyses any more.  At this point I am far more concerned with those unseen back end effects.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 12:00:27 AM by Rick Rowlands »
Rick Rowlands
Chief Engineer
Jones & Laughlin Narrow Gauge Railway
Youngstown, OH

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2020, 06:20:35 AM »
I don't think we have been able to lock in on any uphill or downhill here in Maine. The new cases per day remain fluctuating, and the death rate is steady at about 2 per day. The effects from this will be felt a very long time. I am considered essential so I am still working, but this is going to effect next years income because the money usually spent on infrastructure repair will be less due to the loss of revenue in gas tax. But, not much I can do except keep working..
Mike

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2020, 06:57:50 AM »
I think there's been plenty of examples of how to deal with the pandemic across the world.  New Zealand and Sweden are two extreme examples.  Before the next time comes, I hope the various analysts will have crunched the numbers and come up with a good solution for the next time.

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Trainmaster
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2020, 09:42:36 AM »
Equally important to us are her Stage 2 and Stage 3 relaxation guidelines.  Please study them and let's discuss the implications.

The operations committee has studied the stage 2 & 3 guidelines and is formulating a service plan (still starting on August 8) that will meet those guidelines, as well as "scale up" as they are relaxed. Details are still being worked out.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 07:05:25 PM by Ed Lecuyer »
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Al Michelis

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2020, 09:50:14 AM »
Just in case you missed it, face coverings, a.k.a. masks are required in public starting May 1.

Roger Cole

• Museum Member
  • Brakeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2020, 11:31:34 AM »

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Trainmaster
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2020, 01:56:17 PM »
face coverings, a.k.a. masks are required in public starting May 1.

Face masks are only required in situations where "social distancing" is not possible. (Ie: within 6ft of someone in a confined space.)
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Bob Holmes

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2020, 03:11:12 PM »
Further guidelines specify wearing face masks in such places as grocery stores, retail stores, pharmacies and health care facilities.  Also outdoor spaces such as playgrounds, congested parking lots, lines for take-out, bus stops and waiting areas and all forms of public transportation.

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2020, 04:46:59 PM »
Today at the museum a number of people were working at many locations. Stewart was painting on the car barn, Llnda was doing archives, Phil was has been working on car wheel bearings. the Rest were doing track work at Mikes culvert repair lead by Jason. Seems like old times. We are all keeping our distance from One another.

Fred,  I really appreciate your update.  Hearing about the limited projects being carefully worked on makes me long to be up there helping..... Perhaps later in the summer....
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 10:01:05 PM by Ed Lecuyer »
~ B2 ~ Wascally Wabbit & Gofer ~

Fred Morse

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2020, 06:23:52 PM »
I wish you were here. You would fit in great!