Author Topic: COVID-19 (aka "coronavirus") and the WW&F...  (Read 8179 times)

ALAIN DELASSUS

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
Re: COVID-19 (aka "coronavirus") and the WW&F...
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2020, 01:13:55 PM »
Same out here with the Parisians but as long as they comply with the lockdown measures it's OK.

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2020, 05:32:56 PM »
Let's hope they self quarantine for 14 days, if they are doing what Mike suggests.

Jeff S.
Hey Rocky, watch me pull a moose trout out of my hat.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2020, 06:00:49 PM »
We are all supposed to be on the honor system. It is for our own good. I myself think the stay at home order is a bit much, but know it is because there were still those moving about freely doing what they had always done instead of changing what they do and how they do it for the sake of good health..
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Bob Holmes

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2020, 06:52:30 PM »
I'm guessing that if the out of staters are frightened enough to come to Maine, they are probably more willing than not to self-quarantine.

BTW, I'm mostly a Maine resident, but still have PA plates, so there can be legit reasons for my car to be out getting groceries (for example)

Duncan Mackiewicz

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2020, 04:30:14 PM »
I live on the lower end of MA by CT and we have been told by state and local police to stay at home except for absolute necessities. You would be amazed (or not) at what so many folks feel is a necessity. Fortunately MA has implemented guidelines and the local and state police have no qualms about pulling over folks on the highway if the vehicle plates indicate out of state or ignorant behavior. BTW, CT and NH feel the same way and are doing the same thing.

Safety and good health for all is a great plan. Hopefully we can get past this health problem and get back to more normal living sooner rather than later.

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2020, 05:51:23 PM »
Maine has implemented guidelines for our Stay at Home order.

Dana Deering

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2020, 10:19:52 AM »
I hope that somehow we can take this opportunity to get some much needed track work done on the mainline. So to clarify, no one who doesn’t live within walking distance of the museum can be there?  Or are there exceptions? 

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Trainmaster
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2020, 11:02:57 AM »
Yes, mainline maintenance is one (and the major one at that) opportunity that this crisis presents. For details on what is planned, and how this decision was made, please refer to the Operations Comittee report in the 4/11/2020 BOD Meeting:
http://forum.wwfry.org/index.php/topic,3671.msg45769.html#msg45769
IIRC, it was adopted as written, by a 7-1 vote.

As far as who can and can not be at Sheepscot at the present time, that is determined by Maine's stay-at-home order, currently set to expire on May 1st. For details, see:
https://www.maine.gov/governor/mills/news/governor-mills-issues-stay-healthy-home-mandate-2020-03-31
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2020, 11:44:48 AM »
One of the stay-at-home order exceptions is exercise.  I can think of no better exercise than track work by yourself.

Graham Buxton

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2020, 12:40:32 PM »

As far as who can and can not be at Sheepscot at the present time, that is determined by Maine's stay-at-home order, currently set to expire on May 1st. For details, see:
https://www.maine.gov/governor/mills/news/governor-mills-issues-stay-healthy-home-mandate-2020-03-31
Now if the WW&F was using horses (stabled at the WW&F) to do track maintenance, then traveling there by vehicle to care for the horses would be acceptable!   8) ;D

From the Governor's order:
Essential personal activities include the following with relation to an individual, their family, household members, pets, or livestock:
  • Providing care, including transportation, of oneself, a family member, friend, pet or livestock in another household or location for essential health and safety activities and to obtain necessary supplies and services.

Hmmm ... ... steam locomotives are iron horses, no?  :-X

« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 12:44:45 PM by Graham Buxton »
Graham

Dana Deering

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2020, 02:22:05 PM »
What if I ride a horse to the museum?  It’s walking distance (easy for me to say) for the horse...😉

Fred Morse

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2020, 03:16:36 PM »
Just driving over to work on the car barn. You might decide to keep your distance and do track work.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2020, 05:35:01 PM »
And now the Govenor has extended the Emergency Declaration until May 15th. Nothing has changed. No gatherings larger than 10 people, and keep your social distance. Still allowed to work on construction projects, and maintenance and upkeep.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 05:56:39 PM by Ed Lecuyer »
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Trainmaster
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2020, 06:08:04 PM »
While the Emergency Declaration has been extended, the stay-at-home order is still set to expire on April 30th. The extension of the Emergency Declaration gives the Governor the ability to also extend the stay-at-home order, if she deems it necessary.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Trainmaster
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2020, 06:12:49 PM »
[Moderator's note]
A public announcement regarding the COVID-19 Mitigation Plan and the 2020 Operating Season can be found at:
http://forum.wwfry.org/index.php/topic,3674.0.html

WW&F Museum Members can get the backstory at:
http://forum.wwfry.org/index.php/topic,3671.msg45769.html#msg45769

Also, this thread is for volunteer-related discussions. The other thread is for public train operations. (A subtle, but important distinction since volunteer activities will resume much sooner than public train operations.)
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum