Author Topic: COVID-19 (aka "coronavirus") and the WW&F...  (Read 10106 times)

Paul Crabb

• Museum Member
  • Brakeman
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
Re: COVID-19 (aka "coronavirus") and the WW&F...
« Reply #120 on: July 03, 2020, 10:09:33 AM »
One of the Providence RI TV news stations questioned in their new report why RI isn't on Maine's "allowed list" and said they have inquired as to why. I haven't seen or heard the response to the inquiry yet. Maybe our Governor should also inquire.

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Trainmaster
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #121 on: July 03, 2020, 10:09:51 AM »
Masks will be available to all visitors. WW&F-branded masks are for sale and disposable masks will be available.

At this time, any enforcement will be by the train's Conductor - who will seat groups away from each other. This is subject to change based on whatever requirements the state mandates.

[Moderator's note]
We're starting to tip our toes into a non-railroad debate. Anyone with concerns about the policy published and enforcement should probably correspond directly with one of the museum's officers.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Trainmaster
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #122 on: July 03, 2020, 10:13:38 AM »
For those who did not see this post yesterday on Facebook, here is the public statement on the WW&F's plan to keep passengers and volunteers safe:

WW&F COVID-19 Pandemic Safety Plan

Preface:
In light of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, the WW&F has adopted the following plan to safeguard those visiting and working at the Railway. When visiting, we request our guests extend us the same consideration by following these precautions and plans.

Our goal is to ensure visitors & personnel remain safe & healthy during their interactions at the Railway.

As such, visitors can expect the following actions from the Railway to ensure their safety.
The WW&F shall:

Minimize visitor-personnel contact by utilizing online sales & contactless transactions whenever possible.

Limit  access to the Railway to fewer than 50 visitors at any given time and in any given space, including passenger trains.
-and-
Limit public access to select buildings, while closing select hands-on displays, railroad cars & small structures.

Sanitize & clean public spaces (including trains, platforms, and restrooms) between each departure.

Utilize open-air cars on most public trains. Any closed-format cars will have windows & doors open to promote the free flow of air within the car.

Install signage to reinforce recommended cleanliness & social distancing practices throughout the Railway.

Monitor on-site personnel for symptoms & check volunteers for elevated temperature. Require all public-facing staff to wear masks during their interactions with visitors.

Abide by all relevant state or federal CDC guidelines & adjust this Safety Plan as appropriate to meet their guidelines.

Provide a wide-range of activities and events that can be enjoyed safely by all visitors.

The WW&F expects visitors to commit to the following actions out of consideration for our personnel and fellow guests.
Visitors to the WW&F shall:

Reserve and purchase tickets for trains and related events online, in advance.

Contact the museum as soon as possible for a cancellation and full refund upon the display of symptoms and/or elevated temperature.

Wear a mask (or suitable face covering) when in enclosed railway cars, enclosed spaces, and other locations where social distancing is not possible.

Evaluate their risk for contracting COVID-19 and the level of public interaction that is appropriate in their personal situation.

Expect to be transported back to a simpler time, and become engaged in rebuilding Maine history.

Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 03, 2020, 10:24:23 AM »
The Strasburg Rail Road makes the point very succinctly at the very top of their web page:

We’re doing our part to keep you safe, but we can’t do it alone. The success of our Reopen Plan requires the cooperation of all our Guests. Guests of The Strasburg Rail Road are invitees to private property and, as such, are required to follow all of our policies. In accordance with our current policies, our Guests help us ensure the health and safety of all by agreeing to the following:

Kevin Madore

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
    • My Flicker Albums
« Reply #124 on: July 03, 2020, 04:06:21 PM »
Most out-of-state visitors are completely ignoring state guidelines.  They are treating Maine as a vacation playground where the rules don't apply to them.

It will be interesting to see, when the museum finally opens up, if the type of crowd we attract shares much in common with the folks described in the above post.    I've visited a ton of tourist railroads and museums, literally all over the US in the last decade, and the demographic that elects to spend their time and money at railroad museums tends to fall into one of two categories:
  • Serious rail enthusiasts, a significant majority of whom seem to be older adults, from a generation that "gets it" with respect to staying safe
  • Young families with kids
The good thing about this is that the crowds that are noticeably absent are the younger, rebellious "me generation", and the good 'ole boy types that I personally believe are largely responsible kind of behavior that Bob mentions in his post.   Also notable absent is alcohol, which is a key ingredient in bad behavior.  For the most part, it's been my experience that folks who patronize steam railroads are pretty respectful of others, and that's the real key to getting through this mess.    It ain't about you or me, it's about US.

I hope the rules will allow me to make it up there when the time comes.  I haven't taken a picture since the rotary operation at Chama.   I hope I haven't forgotten how.   :'(   

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 03, 2020, 07:21:54 PM »
It is not easy to comply with the 14-day in-state quarantine or the pre-testing requirement (doctor referrals and/or limited locations, and/or multi-day waits for results). However, it is easy to get a mask and to wear it. Maybe we should supply some that say, "I am not a jerk."

Bob Holmes

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 03, 2020, 07:50:41 PM »
Well, as I read about 1) increasing levels of infection in opening states, and 2) the increasing shift of national consensus re masks:  I firmly believe we should take the stance that noone comes onto the trains without masks.  If they refuse, they should be asked to leave, and their reservations will be refunded.

This is a public health issue, not a political issue, and as an informal (not official) medical advisor to the BOD (with training in epidemiology), I think this is the best and safest course to follow as we reopen.

Bob

Stephen Piwowarski

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 03, 2020, 10:34:22 PM »
With the latest executive order we will likely wind up requiring mask use on trains, as it is unlikely with a train, even at half-capacity, for people to maintain social distancing at all times. Therefore, based on the rule, masks would be required on all trains (even open cars).

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 04, 2020, 11:05:24 AM »
The Strasburg Rail Road makes the point very succinctly at the very top of their web page:

We’re doing our part to keep you safe, but we can’t do it alone. The success of our Reopen Plan requires the cooperation of all our Guests. Guests of The Strasburg Rail Road are invitees to private property and, as such, are required to follow all of our policies. In accordance with our current policies, our Guests help us ensure the health and safety of all by agreeing to the following:

I think signs with the above underlined statement, changing Strasburg to WW&F, should be posted in prominent locations around the museum.

Jeff S.
Hey Rocky, watch me pull a moose trout out of my hat.

Bob Holmes

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 04, 2020, 08:00:29 PM »
Jeff, totally agree!!!

I do think that our usual guests who know us well will cooperate fully.  I worry about other who are new to the railroad and may not appreciate our concerns about safety.