Author Topic: February 2020 Work Reports  (Read 20987 times)

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
Re: February 2020 Work Reports
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2020, 09:30:25 PM »
118 suffered a slight injury on Friday. We were picking the trusses off and the south end shifted and got the staff. It is bent is a way that can be fixed easily by a tallented someone, but my time between Friday afternoon when it was bent and early Saturday when the Station house move was made was very limited. I am sure someone will straighten it this week. The bend did not keep the brakes from functioning, so we kept it in service.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Paul Uhland

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2020, 04:03:57 PM »
John...wouldn't simply passing the phone lines between the ties and under the rails saved connector work?
I know youz guys had already installed a TOM phone "station".
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 04:09:37 PM by Paul Uhland »
Paul Uhland

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2020, 05:27:34 PM »
John...wouldn't simply passing the phone lines between the ties and under the rails saved connector work?
I know youz guys had already installed a TOM phone "station".
There is only enough space between the ballast and the rail for the wire, not enough for the connectors normally used. Therefore, given the choice between removing the connectors and reconnecting them after fishing the wire under the rails, my choice was to install very small connectors ("Fast-On" tabs) in the section that would pass under the rails. This was (and will be until Spring) a very temporary "proof of concept" installation. I'll put in something more permanent around the time of Spring Work Weekend.

Paul Crabb

• Museum Member
  • Brakeman
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2020, 11:16:26 PM »
Will the station remain named Prebles or renamed Top of the Mountain?

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2020, 06:43:02 AM »
Anticipated work for the weekend of Feb 8:

* Grand Reunion photo event, running Friday through Sunday. 
* Machine shop - squeeze riveter repair.

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2020, 06:17:46 PM »
Saturday Feb 8 report:

I can report on what I did - conducting Extra 7 for the photo day.  I have no report for anything else.

Bill Sample

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2020, 10:51:16 PM »
Saturday Sue worked in the gift shop assisting Cindy, unpacking from the recent Amherst Ry Society train show in W Springfield MA; later they worked in  Percival house kitchen - made Shepherd's Pie (actually "Cottage Pie" as it was beef not lamb [got that info from an Englishman] - it was delicious!) and a delicious chicken/corn chowder.  I ran a few errands in and for the shop, spread a lot of grit over the icy walkways all over the campus then reported to the kitchen for KP duty to assist Cindy and Sue.  It was nice hearing the whistles of our #9, Monson #3 and last but not least Bridgton & Saco River #7.  Best of all it was so good to see people from the WW&F, Maine Narrow Gauge Railroad & Museum and the Maine Locomotive and Machine Works all working together to make this Grand Reunion event happen.  As Carly Simon sang: "These Are the Good Old Days."

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2020, 06:57:36 AM »
Anticipated work for weekend of Feb 15:

* Steam and Sleighs both days.
* Steam and Saws on Saturday - cutting trees at ToM, bringing up cut and stacked tree trash from further down the hill (of course now everything's under a layer of ice and snow, so that may not work), and burning it in a big bonfire.
* Shop work
* Whitefield Lions Club train and doll house show in Augusta on Saturday.  Roger and I will be attending it.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2020, 09:47:06 AM »
Actual cutting will be on the mountain to start off. We will move to TOM if we run out of cutting or if the load and haul doesn't work.
Mike

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2020, 07:03:59 PM »
Today dawned bitter cold. It was the coldest morning of the year. I had -18 when I left home at 5:30am, and was -10 when I arrived at the museum at 7.

So, cold issues arose. The fuel was gelling in 52 as it ran. Fred went and got some 911, and in the mean time I had Bill P hold a small propane torch on the first fuel filter to help keep the fuel flowing so we could pull out #9. After that we left it idling and put the 911 in it. It helped with the idle, but I did not use enough of it, as it still gelled some on the ride north to TOM. But Dan and I made it.

The first train is shown arriving with Bill and Bob (Linda Verneys horses) waiting for the guests behind Don Lyons trailer.

A couple shots of the 1:30 train arriving, dropping passengers and picking up the 12:00 trains passengers.

This is a new team to us. Friends of Linda Verney, but I did not get the owners name. The daughter told me they were from Sindey, with Bell closest to the tracks and Captain on the wood side.

And here is Bill and Bob, Linda Verney's horses.

Lots of happy folks today, with many hanging around the fire with us expressing their thanks and appreciation for us putting together the event. And several had never been to the museum before, so got a brief history lesson on what we are doing and why. I think several of those will be back for a ride in the summer.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 07:05:54 PM by Mike Fox »
Mike

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2020, 07:27:47 PM »
Great photos--Thanks, Mike.
What–me worry?

Roger Cole

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2020, 08:24:38 PM »
What's to keep the water in the tender from freezing?  Is there a steam line running through it?

Jeremy Jordan

• Museum Member
  • Engine Wiper
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2020, 08:28:58 PM »
Sunshine on a cold day is better than no sunshine on a cold day! Great photos!

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2020, 08:34:18 PM »
Just the sloshing of the water in the tender keeps it from freezing during the day..the tank is not heated.
Mike

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2020, 09:37:43 PM »
Good work, everyone. Well done!