Author Topic: Coal/Ash Facility - Official Work Thread  (Read 8980 times)

Paul Uhland

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
Coal/Ash Facility - Official Work Thread
« on: November 11, 2019, 09:45:42 PM »
The poor, old coal bin looks like an orphan child lost in a changing neighborhood. Will it be moved as part of the coming Roundhouse Project?
Paul Uhland

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
Re: Coal/Ash Facility - Official Work Thread
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2019, 11:58:07 PM »
The poor, old coal bin looks like an orphan child lost in a changing neighborhood. Will it be moved as part of the coming Roundhouse Project?

Yes, although the final location/configuration is still being worked out.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2019, 04:24:48 AM »
We are working on a permanent storage for both coal and ash. If we can get them, we have been given some big cement blocks to build the walls out of, and once complete Brendan wants to pour a floor. Getting the blocks involves several donations. Donation of the blocks and 2 cranes (for loading and unloading), and donation of use of a truck to haul them, we just pay fuel.

Then, after the roundhouse is complete, there is talk of having a somewhat period coal pocket just north of the roundhouse on the run through track. This pocket can be filled with a loader. A bucket mounted to a gantry would then be used to load the locomotive.

Lots and lots of thought has gone into trying to plan everything out so it fits. Baby steps is what we take..
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Graham Buxton

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2019, 09:45:09 AM »
Donation of the blocks and 2 cranes (for loading and unloading), and donation of use of a truck to haul them, we just pay fuel.
From what I can tell, typical 'big' concrete blocks weigh between 4000-5000 lbs.  It seems to me that the 'big' WW&F forklift should be able to lift that weight for unloading and block placement at the WW&F end of the move.  Here is a sample block weight:
Large blocks are 2.5 ft x 2.5 ft x5 ft and weigh approximately 4200 lbs.
https://bashawconcrete.com/precast-concrete/concrete-blocks.html

Of course, that still leaves the 'loading' of the blocks and semi to do the hauling.
Graham

Fred Morse

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2019, 09:55:41 AM »
I'm not sure, but I think these were talking about are nearer 10,000 lbs. Big blocks!

Graham Buxton

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2019, 11:22:06 AM »
Perhaps 'paying' for a [smaller] more standard size block, that the seller loads as part of the sale, and that the Museum's forklift can unload would be a better value in the long run. For instance:
https://maine.craigslist.org/grq/d/eliot-concrete-blocks/7012007346.html
Graham

Paul Uhland

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2019, 12:06:04 PM »
Yes, I would say if the mega-sized blocks only were being offered, then that's the deal. But, the smaller (2'x2'x4') ones would obviously work better, shipping and setting-wise, would be similar to the blocks used at the TOM washout's retaining wall.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 12:07:45 PM by Paul Uhland »
Paul Uhland

Fred Morse

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2019, 01:28:54 PM »
I think the blocks are about 10 miles away.

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2019, 01:53:51 PM »
Of course the big blocks take up a lot of area just to make the walls, and space has become critical around the Sheepscot campus as we continue to expand.
~ B2 ~ Wascally Wabbit & Gofer ~

Gary Kraske

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2019, 03:47:40 PM »
Hi, If we are talking about Eliot, ME, that is further than 10 miles away.  It appears to be north of Kittery near the NH border with Maine.  Not sure of where the big blocks are located.  More to come.

Gary Kraske

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2019, 03:58:20 PM »
Where are the big blocks sourced?  Went to the website and they are manufactured in Alberta, Canada. Is there a local supplier?

Graham Buxton

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2019, 05:34:20 PM »
Big concrete blocks are generally made by a local ready mix supplier [aka concrete delivery truck], as the concrete in the blocks was [more or less] ordered and paid for by a delivery customer.  Typically the delivery customer does not want the 'excess' concrete, and it can't stay on the truck for the next customer.   So the ready-mix company unloads it into block molds, and then later sells those blocks.   Since this is essentially 'reject' concrete, its paid for by someone other than the block customer, which is why the blocks are relatively cheap, given their size.
So the trick is to find "local" blocks at a nearby ready-mix location.  My Craigslist example listing was just to show  what can be available.  Odds are there are also blocks available from a closer concrete company.
Graham

Fred Morse

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2019, 05:44:57 PM »
I think the blocks are near Wiscasset. I don't know where came from. I don't know how many.

Bob Holmes

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2019, 07:24:23 PM »
RE Mike's comments about coal pocket, a gantry crane and bucket to load the locomotive would be so cool.  I know that's what they did on the Kennebec Central, and probably other 2 footers as well.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2019, 09:03:17 PM »
We have a local donor. And the blocks are big. Remember, we move at the speed of money, and free is best.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...