Author Topic: November 2019 Work Reports  (Read 27695 times)

Paul Uhland

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
Re: November 2019 Work Reports
« Reply #60 on: November 20, 2019, 04:01:47 PM »
So, is this turntable track permanent, or just for equipment display?
Paul Uhland

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 20, 2019, 07:05:55 PM »
As I said when I put the original pictures up 2 weeks ago of the track, it is temporary. It will be used to store Bridgton & Saco River Locomotive 8 from the Maine Narrow Gauge. At such time Roundhouse construction starts, Locomotive 8 will be moved and the track torn up to build the round house. Then permanent tracks will be constructed into the roundhouse, after completion of the groundwork.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 23, 2019, 06:07:30 PM »
Work done on Saturday Nov 23:

* Tank car 14: The tank was mostly sandblasted today, while Zack finished up what was required on the flatcar.  Then because of rain tomorrow the flatcar was moved to the ramp track, the tank was moved using the forklift to the flat and temporarily mounted, then brought back to Bay 2 where it will sit until Monday, after which hopefully Brendan and Jason will bring it back out and move back for completion.  See photos under the tank car thread.
* Track work: "2nd James" N and Bryce attempted to tamp - but the tamper wouldn't start, ended up needing a new battery.  They got going after lunch and made good progress, lifting and tamping for most of the length between the two switches, between the tank and the platform, out the outside, then went back for the inside.  Meanwhile Fred hauled all remaining stone in the yard to the tank, dumping it in the tipcar, which was dumped in important places.
* Shop coal: A pallet of coal for the shop was delivered, so the bags were moved into the shop and stacked.

Paul Uhland

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 24, 2019, 12:21:15 AM »
Any plans to set up the second shop stove?
Paul Uhland

Jason M Lamontagne

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 24, 2019, 07:07:51 AM »
The second stove pipe was installed last week.  The second stove will now be a quick hook up.  We still need to make arrangements to seal the doors.

Thanks,
Jason

Paul Uhland

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 25, 2019, 11:12:29 AM »
Good to hear.
Nothing, except rain,  more miserable than working in the CCCCCOLDDDDD!
Great pics.
Thanks.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 12:36:14 PM by Paul Uhland »
Paul Uhland

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 27, 2019, 07:03:42 AM »
Anticipated work for Saturday Nov 30:

* Car barn extension
* Track work: spike the 3rd roundhouse lead, to spike ML&M's siding, and maybe more mainline spiking.  Possibly led by Dana.
* Pavilion: Mike's digging holes to put in the tubes (I think he's also working Friday).
* Tank car 14
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 07:08:03 AM by James Patten »

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 29, 2019, 04:07:40 PM »
Work done on Friday, Nov 29:

* Pavilion: Mike was busy digging holes for the concrete tubes.  When I left he was working on the 5th one.
* Firewood: Fred was busy with the saw cutting up firewood from the trees that came out of the pavilion area.

Also - there is a LOT of stone at Alna Center.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 04:28:37 PM by Ed Lecuyer »

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 29, 2019, 04:42:27 PM »

Good; children will enjoy sliding down it (with or without snow) at Victorian Christmas. The bonfire, the sleigh/wagon rides, and even Santa, have historically been secondary attractions relative to the stone pile.

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 29, 2019, 06:54:00 PM »

Good.  I was wondering about the stone supply for next Spring Work Weekend!
What–me worry?

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 29, 2019, 08:19:57 PM »
Great!  We all know what we will be doing this coming SWW.  Making that great big pile of stone disappear and take up a new life keeping our track down the mountain on the mountain.
~ B2 ~ Wascally Wabbit & Gofer ~

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 30, 2019, 05:23:28 PM »
Work done on Saturday November 30: temps did not get above freezing, and there was a blustery northerly wind.

* Roundhouse track 3: Every other tie was spiked, and we took a 30-foot reject rail and cut it in half so that B&SR loco 8 will fit on it.
* B&SR Tank 14: Zack was sanding two sides of the two large timbers that sit beside the tank, and putting the preservatives to them.
* Firewood: all the firewood that Fred cut up yesterday was hauled (by Fred) to the wood pile at Sheepscot.
* Pavilion: Mike had trouble in the morning with the excavator, but got it working after lunch.  He'll get in about half of the tubes.

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 30, 2019, 10:45:08 PM »
Some photos from today (Saturday, November 30th).  Hunter orange was the color of the day.  First time in four weeks I could get to Sheepscot.  I vaguely remember the weather being warmer...

A balmy end-of-November day at Sheepscot.  The thermometer outside shop bay 4 shortly after noon.

At least it was sunny today.  Snow's predicted late Sunday into early Tuesday.

Work on the west roundhouse lead started around 9 a.m.  Jerry Steinke spikes as Dave Buczkowski lifts the tie and James Patten looks on.

The west lead early on today.

After the spiking of every other tie was finished on the first two rails, the crew went over to help Fred Morse unload a pickup truckload of hardwood from Alna Center at the edge of the Sheepscot parking lot.  Fred immediately understood this was not a generous offer of support--we needed him to run the tractor to pick a rail for the turntable lead!  Pictured are Dave, James, Fred and Jerry.

Fred picks a rail from the reject pile.  The rail was then cut in half to complete the lead.

Leon Weeks and Al Michelis (both left respectively) joined the crew.

Dave spikes, as James and Jerry look on.

The "finished" lead as seen from the turntable in the afternoon.

Looks like the second coal stove is hooked up, at the south end of the shop building between bays 1 & 2.
What–me worry?

Graham Buxton

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 30, 2019, 10:52:48 PM »
I see that the tractor is 'chained up' already.  8)
Fred's doing??  :)
Graham

Fred Morse

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 01, 2019, 07:02:59 AM »
From the forecast were getting, the tractor chains are just in time. Oh, for an old time winter with 20 feet of snow so we can take photos of 30 men digging out the tracks of snow. Of course i'm to old to dig.