Author Topic: Velocipede  (Read 15915 times)

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
Re: Velocipede
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2019, 09:04:19 PM »
Bill,  we still have several dumps in the weeds off the woods track.  Are you getting the same ideas that I am after looking at Alain's picture?
John,

No, I didn't think of the woods track dumps.  You do have a good idea.  Perhaps only one to go along after the track crew when they are surfacing low joint spots.  Or after the tamper when we are doing track maintenance to back fill the ballast holes after tamping.
~ B2 ~ Wascally Wabbit & Gofer ~

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2019, 10:14:57 PM »
If you are thinking of the dump cars that I think you mean, they have the problem that dumping from them places the dumped ballast way far out.

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2019, 10:28:55 PM »
John,  I was thinking of turning the dump sideways (90 degrees) so it dumped directly on the track.  I think one dump car has already been modified that way.

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2019, 08:25:30 AM »
John & Bill, you are both correct.  I was already thinking along the lines Bill mentioned which is to turn the bucket mounting 90 degrees, and extend or mount on a new frame.  Due to the weight, I would think something motorized (5-10 hp) and geared to no more than 10-12 mph would be suitable.  Drivetrain is a question and also whether or not to have a gearbox for reverse.  This kind of setup would be great for a MOW crew with tools/ballast for low spot repair, tie replacement, kink straightening, etc.  Thoughts anyone?
Moxie Bootlegger

ALAIN DELASSUS

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2019, 08:32:41 AM »
Thank you so much you all for posting the photo and your comments. Good idea to use the dump to carry  and pouring ballast  but  given the steep grades of the main line the both trackcrew members that will use such a  velocipede would be wise to have brawny arms not only to move it forward but as well to hold it back because there is no freewheel and to slow it down efficiently you have to use the engine break namely your arms besides the pedal brake. I'm sure everybody in the trackcrew has such arms if not you would tinker something to secure and ease the use of it.

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2019, 01:47:30 PM »
There are a few issues with using the Koppel tip cars. First, several of them are in pretty bad shape with rusted out sections that would have to be replaced. Secondly, they are designed to dump all at once and are hard to control once they start to tip, so it's often all or nothing. A possible solution might be to make gates near the bottom of the "V" to allow some control over the ballast coming out of the hopper.

Perhaps a safer and more practical solution would be to find a dump box such as those designed to fit the bed of a pickup truck and install that on a Koppel frame. I have seen dump boxes from Model AA Fords, as well as moe modern dump boxes, on standard gauge push car decks.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 02:58:57 PM by Wayne Laepple »

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2019, 04:44:37 PM »
Here's a true story of a velocipede adventure in Australia:

Steve Smith

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2019, 08:11:35 PM »
Perhaps volunteers will enjoy this elegant velocipede on the First-Museum Railway southeast of Bremen, Germany. The photo, taken about six years ago, is from WW&F member Wolf-Jobst Siedler, wearing his conductor’s uniform, and observing as his son, Tobias, greets riders.

Steve Smith

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2019, 08:14:02 PM »
Thanks a bunch, Photobucket. Didn't expect you to plaster your logo, or whatever that is, on top of a nice photo. Oh well.

Graham Buxton

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2019, 08:47:28 PM »
Steve,  I suggest using postimages.org instead of Photobucket.

You can open an account for free, and there are no recurring fees either.  I particularly like their 'thumbnail' feature, but there are a variety of other image posting options as well.

I've had a free PostImages account for about 3 years and am pleased with how it works - with no problems. (I am a former Photobucket user / refugee  :P )

Here is an example 'thumbnail' image from 2019 Fall Work Weekend ...

(click on image to see larger)

Same image fullsize:(PostImages.org calls this style of link "Direct Image".)

Like Photobucket, PostImages.org also handles internally dealing with oversized images from modern cameras. No need to shrink photos when posting large images to forums.

Unlike Photobucket, PostImages.org does not plaster their logo / watermark over your images.  I have not seen any change made by PostImages.org to any photo that I have uploaded there (other than displayed image size changes.)
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 09:00:08 PM by Graham Buxton »
Graham

Steve Smith

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2019, 09:29:03 PM »
Thank you very much, Graham. Sounds much better than Photobucket. 

Carl G. Soderstrom

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Looking for 2' NG knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2019, 09:43:56 PM »
If anyone is interested - last Saturday at a MRR swap meet I saw 2 Velocipede wheels for sale.
$500.00 per pair
Oak Wood spokes, iron tired & hubbed.
About 17 inches in dia. (all I had was a $ bill to measure with)
One inch bore (measured my marks at home)
One was keyed.

Mr Skelton is from Duluth but if there is interest and you think it is a decent price I might see him
at the next meet.
Or he might send a picture? If he still has them.

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2019, 10:39:01 PM »
If the powers to be (read BOD) would like a replica to a velocipede for our museum and if someone is interested in completing the kit started and gathering dust in Alice's attic I would be willing to pony up for some wheels.

First we need to approach the BOD to see if this fits their desires for our Museum.

Thoughts anyone? 

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2019, 10:44:58 AM »
Thank you very much, Graham. Sounds much better than Photobucket.
I made the switch to Postimage last year after a struggle with the bucket. So I have stopped paying for photobucket.
Postimage seems a bit easier once you figure it out..
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 11:42:47 AM by Ed Lecuyer »
Mike
Doing way too much to list...