Author Topic: Hi, there! Long time, no see  (Read 12977 times)

Mairi Dulaney

• Gandy Dancer
    • View Profile
Hi, there! Long time, no see
« on: August 23, 2019, 11:08:08 PM »
Hell, since the last time I came around Alna, I've moved to Seattle, and now I'm a fireman on a 97 year old wood passenger steamship, the Virginia V.  We have a 115 year old triple expansion engine and oil fired boiler.

Steve Smith

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
Re: Hi, there! Long time, no see
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2019, 11:31:12 PM »
A fine looking vessel! Would you have some pictures of the triple expansion engine?

I cherish the memory of seeing a triple-expansion engine churning away in a New York Central ferry boat running from West 42nd Street in Manhattan to the Weehawken NJ terminal of the Central's West Shore River Division. Such magnificent churning of crankshaft, piston rods, crossheads  and valve gear when the FULL ASTERN command came down from the pilothouse!

Leaving Manhattan, my father had decided we should climb down into the engine room to observe. I thought sure we'd get balled out and told to vamoose, but nobody said a word!

Keith Taylor

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2019, 09:51:14 AM »
On family excursions on the Hudson River Day Line boat the Alexander Hamilton.....I spent the entire journey in the engine room. It was the best view to be had on the Hudson River.

Keith

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2019, 07:22:06 PM »
In another week the wife and I will be in Interlaken, Switzerland and one of the items on my to do list is to take at least one hop, if not more, on the steam lakeboats that have been running there for over 100 years.  I will get pictures!
Moxie Bootlegger

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2019, 08:32:06 PM »
In another week the wife and I will be in Interlaken, Switzerland and one of the items on my to do list is to take at least one hop, if not more, on the steam lakeboats that have been running there for over 100 years.  I will get pictures!

In 1995, Michelle and I spent nearly two weeks in Switzerland, including Interlaken.  On the day we traveled from Interlaken to Lucerne, a portion of our trip was on a Brienzersee lake boat to (if I recall correctly) either Brienz West or Brienz.  It was a highlight of our trip -- one of several we enjoyed while in Switzerland.  Sorry I can't provide more details or photos -- they're filed and buried somewhere here at home.  All I can tell you is you both will have a great time.  I'm jealous!  Enjoy!

Hello, since the last time I came around Alna, I've moved to Seattle, and now I'm a fireman on a 97 year old wood passenger steamship, the Virginia V.  We have a 115 year old triple expansion engine and oil fired boiler.

I took a look around online and found the website for the Virginia V. Foundation:  www.virginiav.org.  What a great preservation story.  Seattle is a city Michelle and I would like to visit.  We don't know if that's in our future, but if it is, a visit to the Virginia V. will definitely be a part of our journey.
What–me worry?

Ted Miles

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2019, 07:48:47 PM »
 I too have visited the Virginia V; the last of the Mosquito Fleet. And I have post cards of her in my collection. I do not know which is better her engine or the wood hull, which surrounds it!

Ted Miles, retired maritime curator.

Carl G. Soderstrom

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Looking for 2' NG knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2019, 03:48:51 PM »
If you like Steam Boats check out the Minnehaha, a Trolley Boat on Lake Minnetonla

https://www.steamboatminnehaha.org/

Of course she is like George Washington's hatchet that cut down the cherry tree - I believe there
are some planks and ribs that are original.

Dad & I took a ride some years back and all we did was watch the engine and engineer.

Dag Bonnedal

• Switchman
  • Working with 2 ft steam in Mariefred, Sweden
    • View Profile
    • Östra Södermanlands Järnväg
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2019, 04:02:22 PM »
Lovely with these old steam ships.
I have the deepest respect for all the effort to keep them afloat and steaming.
Huge costs and lots of rules and regulations to follow.

Our little railway has a close connection to the the coal fired s/s Mariefred. She has run the very same route between Stockholm and Mariefred every year since she was built in 1903! Probably rather unique.
She was close to being scrapped when the old owner finally gave up in the beginning of the 1960-ties, after being unprofitable for years. But she was taken over by a foundation with a support society and has kept running in spite of two devastating fires (both starting at night) and change of boiler.
Pictures: (the link does not quite work, click on the suggestion)
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Mariefred_(ship,_1903)

Every day during the summer we run our train through the town down to the harbour to meet "Maja" (as she is affectionately called) when she arrives from Stockholm.
Most days she then runs a short tour across the bay to Taxinge Näsby, a beautiful mansion open to the public with park and family friendly beach. This is also the end station for our railway. Thus we sell tickets for a combined train and boat round trip. This is very successful and as it works in both directions both trains and boat are often packed. See map:
https://www.oslj.nu/en-GB

The current captain has run the ship successfully for 40 years, but at an age of 75 he is now training younger to take over.

Stockholm has a large fleet of steam ships, two of them are even running in regular service as part of the Stockholm local transit system. And it is a along standing tradition that you are always welcome to visit the engine room.
Most of the steam ships also have good dining on board, having steak and fried potatoes is a traditional favourite.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 04:39:10 PM by Dag Bonnedal »

Steve Smith

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2019, 08:16:33 PM »
Thank you, Dag! The Stockholm area appears to be a steamboat fan's paradise.

John Scott

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2019, 09:07:17 PM »
Yes, thanks, Dag. A steam train meeting a steam boat is about as good as it gets.

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2019, 06:16:59 AM »
I see that ÖSlJ has a double slip switch.  That's something that the WW&F is missing.  ;D

Graham Buxton

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2019, 07:46:34 AM »
I think the WW&F version should be a "stub" double slip switch!  8)

Some examples of such in this thread: http://ngdiscussion.net/phorum/read.php?1,152330,240077

« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 07:52:44 AM by Graham Buxton »
Graham

Dag Bonnedal

• Switchman
  • Working with 2 ft steam in Mariefred, Sweden
    • View Profile
    • Östra Södermanlands Järnväg
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2019, 04:06:12 PM »
We have actually three double slip switches. This is because the yard in Mariefred is too short and too (17 tracks) wide.
https://www.google.se/maps/@59.2588313,17.2174994,242m/data=!3m1!1e3
Incoming line to the left and harbour branch lower right.

First we had double slip switches converted from 3 ft, but they were in bad shape and very difficult to maintain.
We bought two new ones and made the third out of the best old parts. Theoretically they don't work for 2 ft, the axles are not correctly guided through the centre, and could in principle turn the wrong way. Usually the wheels go the right way, but we have had a few shunting mishaps at low speed.
The biggest trouble is that new brakesmen and -women often have great problems to read them, what two tracks are connected?

In Swedish the are just called "Englishmen", I don't know if that is because they are so complicated or (as someone suggested) look like the British flag Union Jack with lines/rails criss crossing all over the place.

Double stub was a new one for me, looks way much simpler...
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 04:17:54 PM by Dag Bonnedal »

Rick Knight

• Museum Member
  • Gandy Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2019, 11:48:40 PM »
Hi John, I have not been to Switzerland but I have ridden in the engine room of the Virginia 5. Bill Pettitjean and I had a very nice time on the Virginia 5. Glad to see she is still percolating. Rick.