Author Topic: B&SR tank car rebuild  (Read 2481 times)

Ted Miles

• Museum Member
  • Brakeman
    • View Profile
Re: B&SR tank car rebuild
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2019, 06:08:51 PM »
Today it appears that you could not save any of the six sills; I hope the iron hardware is reusable. The wood work is pretty straight forward. The iron tank will be hard; as a special certificate for confined spaces will likely be needed. Maybe that can be left for Maine Narrow Gauge; it is their tank car after all.  Ted Miles, WW&F Member

Brendan Barry

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
Re: B&SR tank car rebuild
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2019, 11:02:21 PM »
Today it appears that you could not save any of the six sills; I hope the iron hardware is reusable. The wood work is pretty straight forward. The iron tank will be hard; as a special certificate for confined spaces will likely be needed. Maybe that can be left for Maine Narrow Gauge; it is their tank car after all.  Ted Miles, WW&F Member

The car had one original side sill and the blocks on top of the bolsters the truss rods ride on top of were probably original. The rest of the car was all Edaville construction. The car also had the remains of the attachment points for pipe railings. So at some point the car was in passenger service without a tank mounted.
United Timber Bridge Workers, Local 1894, Alna, ME