Author Topic: B&SR Tank 14 - Official Restoration Thread  (Read 54277 times)

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
Re: B&SR Tank 14 - Official Restoration Thread
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2019, 01:28:08 PM »
Material acquisition (and giving a go-ahead on the project) is under the control/authority of MNG.  There was discussion about it Saturday with Wes, I presume he's got to get OKs from somebody before proceeding.

Paul Uhland

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2019, 05:19:43 PM »
Shouldn't WW&F folks concentrate on their many projects...

*finish Mountain Extension
*finish Trout Brook Bridge details
*finish boxcar 67
*expand car barn for more storage/ display space
*continue loco 10 re-boiler
*finish west parking lot
*plan/build Alna Center Performance Space
*extend main line to Rt 218
*add runaround siding/ station there
*extend phone service to 218 station
Help with other MNG, MM&LW? work when possible.

Piece of cake  ;) ;D
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 06:51:19 PM by Paul Uhland »
Paul Uhland

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2019, 05:43:30 PM »
Hey Paul,

That list covers Friday and Saturday.  What are we supposed to do the rest of the weekend?   8)
Moxie Bootlegger

Paul Uhland

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2019, 06:32:40 PM »
Awwww...you guys are wizards!  ;D

Seriously, the work you all do is top quality. But I get antsy when it seems the project list gets so jammed.
Depending on volunteer help in my experience can be risky, having loads of work with lots of timelines.
At any rate, much good luck heading into the FWW.

Prove me very wrong!  ;)
Paul Uhland

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2019, 07:18:51 PM »
The only timelines we have currently are the Mountain Extension and Car Barn Extension. The first is for us, the second is to help our friends at MNG with their immediate need for a dedicated museum space. We have set a very achievable goals. Our plate may seem full, but a lot of these projects do not have to get done right away. And some of the MNG folks may come up and help restore their cars too. It would be great to work together on that front too. Share the talents of both organizations.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Dana Deering

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2019, 04:36:50 AM »
Isn't the FWW the WW&F fall work weekend?  Now we are going to take resources away from a major track laying goal of 2000 feet (1400 feet was a challenge last fall)  in order to work on a project of lower priority and on someone else's equipment?  A project like that, of course, is much sexier than pounding down spikes up in the woods on the north end, I get it, but it draws away a lot of folks who could be used to help rotate out the spiking crews so we can get accomplish our goal, or take on other tasks at the railhead.  I understand there are people who can't do the track work and there are projects that those folks have that they can work on but I saw this happen in the spring.  There were barely enough people to shovel ballast but there were more than enough hanging around the insta-car project.  I think we should take a serious look at our priorities.  And no, I don't want to convert to pneumatic spikers and make the whole process automatic.  We used to be about the experience and now it seems it's nothing but speed, speed, speed.  If this happens I hope someone in Sheepscot will be on hand to make sure all available and capable people will be helping at the railhead. 

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2019, 12:43:50 PM »
"Insta-car?' I love it.

Dana Deering

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2019, 01:23:00 PM »
I stole that name from someone else's invention that has proven its worth a million times over through the years... :)

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2019, 04:00:40 PM »
Well said, Dana. Let's focus on what we planned for a year ago.

Jeff S.
Hey Rocky, watch me pull a moose trout out of my hat.

Jon Chase

• Museum Member
  • Gandy Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2019, 01:16:07 AM »
I have a somewhat different view.  I was one of those few who worked on the repairs to the Maine Narrow Gauge Museum's flatcar well into the evening on the Friday of the Spring Work Weekend, and most of Saturday, having asked those in charge if help was needed and being welcomed enthusiastically, perhaps with recollection of prior participation in shop activity (I typically try to spend one day there each work weekend, and another on track work). Like some volunteers, I have a certain amount of experience in rolling stock restoration, having accomplished such things elsewhere as completely reconstructing the rotten ends of "broad gauge" heavyweight passenger cars, so the comparatively modest work needed to relocate the draft gear on a wooden flatcar seemed a natural thing to lend a hand with.  Most importantly, this work was promoted as being of critical importance to the weekend trackwork itself, so as to have four flatcars available for ballasting, and with the hard work of a small crew, we got the job done.  Yes, there were a few people "hanging around" from time to time, including a couple of guys in their 80s who didn't seem to me to be withholding much in the way of spike-driving agility, but were certainly willing to hold the end of a tape measure. Others "hanging around" the flatcar job from time to time included members of the Webb family and their fellow RRE members who were not present to drive spikes, but to present a check for thousands of dollars in support of the Mountain Extension....

A couple of people asked me about my seemingly-awkward efforts to work wearing one glove. By way of reluctant admission, several months prior to the Spring Work Weekend, I had the misfortune to lose the tip of an index finger following a painful crush accident, and remained under medical orders to avoid certain types of work involving repetitive shock, such as hammering (believe me, for a long time it hurt to even try to do such things).  So for this reason as well, it was hardly a case of seeking out "sexy" work on the flatcar rather than driving some spikes, but instead being glad to be able to help productively with something that was within my particular skill-set and experience, and my then-current limitation.  I could, on the other hand, have simply stayed home.

At the prior Fall Work Weekend, I was recruited to be one of the chainfall operators on Elmer the gantry crane and the amount of progress it facilitated was self-evident.  I'm glad to say that if asked to do so again, I'm now back to the point of being able to handle such work, but if asked to assist in some other way, that will be fine also.

I believe Dana raises fair points, and I certainly respect them.  I take no position on whether the B&SR tank car should be worked on during this coming FWW or not, but I also respect the decisions of the Board of Trustees to help ensure its preservation, and the mechanical leaders' ability to make that happen using whatever resources, human and otherwise, as may be at their disposal.  And if part of the evolving Work Weekend management process is now going to include people in charge of making sure help is properly directed to where it can best be utilized, I'm OK with that too.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 07:37:34 PM by Ed Lecuyer »

Dana Deering

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2019, 08:06:47 AM »
You raise good points Jon, and I tried to be clear that I understand that there are folks who can't help with the track work due to limitations. Or, if they are on the mechanical crew and have important shop projects going on, etc.   And, I am not questioning the restoration of the car.  Only the timing.  I support the restoration of any piece of historic Maine 2 foot equipment, especially the B&SR since my great-great grandfather worked on the B&SR as a section foreman.  I have  familial and sentimental reasons to see it all restored.  The perennial challenge we have on the work weekends is delegating labor to the projects and we have a big goal to reach this fall as far as track laying is concerned.  It is less of a temptation for people to drift to the lower priority projects if they are not on the list for the work weekends.  I also understand that we are all volunteers and no one can be forced to do anything and I want it that way.  It's just easier to steer folks to the priority projects if there aren't too many other projects going on.

You also hit upon the difference between the flat car last spring and the tank car.  The flat car was intended to be used for the spring work weekend and didn't arrive on time to be worked on prior, hence the focus on trying to get it going so we could use it for a part of the time on the weekend.  The tank car is not needed this fall. It makes me think that it is a result of what I heard after the SWW, basically "we really got that done fast, we could turn out a car every work weekend".  That leads me to the question why would we do that?  Just for speed?  I hope not.  I would want to see a restoration undertaken deliberately and with a focus on historical accuracy and not for the sake of haste.  Flatcar 205 was not intended for a historic restoration and was put back together hurriedly and competently so it could be pressed into immediate service.  I hope we don't make turning out a car a feature of every work weekend going forward unless it is a definite priority.  This is just my opinion, for what it is worth.

It is also just my opinion that on the work weekends we focus on WW&F projects and goals.  We have plenty.  Again, just my opinion, take it for what it's worth.

I appreciate your point of view and it provides good food for thought.  Thank you.

Dana

Dana Deering

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2019, 10:08:54 AM »
Having beaten this dead horse sufficiently I think the discussion can return to our regularly scheduled program, the specifics about the tank car restoration, already in progress... :)

[Moderator's Note - See the Fall Work Weekend thread for details.]
« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 07:37:09 PM by Ed Lecuyer »

Brendan Barry

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2019, 04:51:19 PM »
In cooperation with Maine Narrow Gauge the B&SR tank car is getting rebuilt.

The tank being removed last Sunday. Stewart Rhine's photos.

Fred took the lead on removing the decking, stake pockets, and grab irons.

The tank moved over by the wood's track.

The flatcar body picked up off the trucks and moved downed to the roundhouse lead to be loaded on flatcar 205. The carbody was moved into the shop on car 205 and lifted off with the overhead hoists.

The car was set down on blocks to be disassembled.

United Timber Bridge Workers, Local 1894, Alna, ME

Harold Downey

• Museum Member
  • Brakeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2019, 05:59:12 PM »
Wow.  It looks like the tank was holding the flat car together. 

How are the sills?  I see some already have scarf repairs.   There is a spec in the 1895 Car Builder's Dictionary on how to do these scarfs, and also the acceptable location.  They don't recommend repairing the center (draft) sills).   Since railroads interchanged cars, any RR could do repairs, but had to meet specs.   It is interesting that they also had a valuation method for charging back to the owning RR. 

Richard "Steam" Symmes

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2019, 09:39:08 PM »
I remember seeing that at Edaville many years ago.  It sure went to rack and ruin didn't it?