Author Topic: Car Barn Extension - Official Work Thread  (Read 30986 times)

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
Re: Car Barn Extension - Official Work Thread
« Reply #210 on: April 25, 2020, 03:23:55 PM »
Brendan,  Thanks for the continued picture updates.  Now that I have seen what a good job Fred has been doing keeping all you minions straight, and apart from each other, it is good to see him taking a well deserved rest in the shade of our new car barn extension.

Keep 'em straight Fred....  I now feel like my SWW from far away is complete.... well sort of.....
~ B2 ~ Wascally Wabbit & Gofer ~

Paul Uhland

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: April 25, 2020, 03:33:16 PM »
What is the next bulding project after the car barn extension and Alna performance space completion?
Is the Wiscasset parking lot expansion officially open?
Paul Uhland

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: April 25, 2020, 06:46:53 PM »
Even the president does the sweeping

Of course under direct supervision

Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: April 25, 2020, 06:59:51 PM »
There are several projects to be completed before any more start, I hope. Mountain Extension ballasting and surfacing, Trout Brook runaround, Trout Brook turntable, coach 9, etc., etc.

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: April 25, 2020, 07:04:13 PM »
The rest of the car barn needs improvements, too, before we do any new projects: better drainage on the east side, eventually the bump out will be extended, build up the surface inside so that it is level with the concrete.  And then people on here are talking electricity and fire suppression.

Bob Holmes

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: April 25, 2020, 07:31:48 PM »
With all that we and MNG have invested in this project to project invaluable Maine 2-foot equipment, it seems to me that fire suppression should be at the top of our list.  That probably also requires electricity, so how do we get there?

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: April 25, 2020, 07:34:41 PM »
I think in the longer term that the carbarn will transition into museum space and storage.  I would not be surprised in the future the need to have more finished flooring in concrete.
Moxie Bootlegger

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: April 25, 2020, 10:06:34 PM »
John,

I think the plan is to floor the original car barn with some sort of reclaimed asphalt or rubber material from old tires that will bring it up to the level of the concrete floor.  Perhaps one of our more educated members can refresh our memories of what that material is.

John Scott

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: April 29, 2020, 06:12:44 AM »
The Car Barn has become an impressive example of timber building construction. Congratulations to all those responsible.

Graham Buxton

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: April 29, 2020, 09:56:08 AM »
! think the plan is to floor the original car barn with some sort of reclaimed asphalt or rubber material from old tires that will bring it up to the level of the concrete floor.  Perhaps one of our more educated members can refresh our memories of what that material is.

I can't speak to Ed's education, ;D but he generally  seems to be 'plugged in' ...  8)

The Car Barn/Exhibit Space project has several phases.

The current Phase (build out, initial displays) is fully funded (or nearly so.)

The next phase is a reclaimed asphalt floor to be added in the 'old' part of the structure. This is going to cost roughly $4100 in materials. We have a grant application submitted to cover this expense. We should be hearing about the results of that request in the 90 days or so.

Other phases include electrical installation, extension of the 'bump out', and a few other improvements.

I think its fair to say that $4100 is just a fraction of what a 'poured concrete' floor would cost.
Graham

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Trainmaster
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #220 on: April 29, 2020, 11:37:18 AM »
Since you asked:
B.S. Computer Science, 1992, University of Lowell (aka UMass, Lowell)
Minor in Sound Recording Technology; Directed Study in Music Theory and Composition

Emphasis on the BS.

I forgot I posted previously about the reclaimed asphalt floor and the grant. I can now report that we did NOT receive the grant- so the floor project is awaiting funding.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 11:39:28 AM by Ed Lecuyer »
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: April 29, 2020, 04:01:43 PM »
Regarding the exhibit hall and the rest of the building, there are two temporary options. First, depending on which artifacts are to be displayed on rail, it might work to have a passenger car at the south end of track 3, coupled to a second car that extends into the carbarn. Or perhaps Monson No. 4 coupled to the B&SR caboose on track 3. Have a single artifact on Track 2, leaving a space at the south end for people to enter comfortably. "Rangeley" on Track 1, also with walking space around the south end. Use caution tape at the north end of the walkway between Track 3 and Track 2 and between Track 2 and Track 1 to discourage visitors from entering the original carbarn.

The second option would be to make a ramp from the concrete floor of the exhibit hall to ground level between Track 1 and Track 2 in the carbarn so visitors could safely move into the carbarn. Equipment could be displayed on Tracks 1 and 2 in the carbarn, while Track 3 would be "off limits" with stored rolling stock. A sign at the north end would direct visitors out the man door at the north end or out the main door of the Track 1.

Brendan Barry

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: April 29, 2020, 04:27:34 PM »
The front wall is all done except for the battens over the double doors. We have to put the doors in and trim around the doors before the battens can go up.

Battens going on the back wall of the bumpout.

United Timber Bridge Workers, Local 1894, Alna, ME

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: April 29, 2020, 04:30:14 PM »
I know we now must be careful of protecting our visitors.  Usually when engaged by a visitor most of us are willing to show them around.  Some visitors, while waiting for a train take their own tour.  I also know that we have, in the past, invited visitors to wander around and look at the artifacts.  Somewhere between the traditional 'don't touch' and 'stand back ropes' and our traditional free to wander approach is the proper path.  I would hate to see us become a 'don't touch' museum.

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: April 29, 2020, 04:45:10 PM »
I wonder if we should have no wall, a waist-height wall, a half-height wall, or a full height wall between the cement floor portion and the reclaimed asphalt floor portion.