Author Topic: Car Barn Extension - Official Work Thread  (Read 89200 times)

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
Re: Car Barn Extension - Official Work Thread
« Reply #180 on: April 20, 2020, 08:19:42 PM »
I think there's just enough money to finish the shell with doors and windows, nothing beyond that.  As to becoming an extension of the National Nail and Screw Museum, this area is supposed to be a display area highlighting the Rangeley and probably the 1880s B&SR coach, so it shouldn't happen.

Steve Smith

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: April 21, 2020, 12:43:34 AM »
National Nail and Screw Museum.....I love it! ;D Thanks, James.

Graham Buxton

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: April 21, 2020, 06:30:48 AM »
As the Extension area is intended to be a "display" area, and occasional meeting area, the odds are pretty good that electric lighting & wall plugs etc will get installed in the future.   But electrical wiring needs to be installed before interior wall cladding (wood boards or drywall etc).
Graham

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: April 21, 2020, 07:31:16 AM »
It seems to me that the lower eight feet of the interior walls could be covered in four-foot increments, as funds become available, by placing 4 x 8 sheets of plywood or other suitable material. Start at a corner and work around the walls. Be sure the wall material is strong enough for photo displays, posters, etc. to be hung. As progress is made around the walls, electrical outlets, etc. could be located piecemeal.

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: April 21, 2020, 09:17:27 AM »
I agree - we should (incrementally) finish the interior walls.  I actually would recommend batt insulation and then pegboard (painted surface) in keeping with the open space / exhibit concept.  It would then make it very easy to hang displays and artifacts as well as make it very easy to change/revise displays over time.
Moxie Bootlegger

Paul Uhland

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: April 21, 2020, 11:29:23 AM »
Makes the most sense.
Paul Uhland

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: April 21, 2020, 12:01:31 PM »
I like the pegboard idea, but I think the west wall should probably all plywood plywood, since the clearance between the wall and the rolling stock is pretty limited. Not enough space really to step back to view a photo or a poster. And how about  pegboard between the windows, with solid plywood above and below the windows on the south and east sides?.

Brendan Barry

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: April 21, 2020, 12:18:25 PM »
We put some of the windows in this morning.

United Timber Bridge Workers, Local 1894, Alna, ME

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: April 21, 2020, 05:45:42 PM »
I would recommend moisture-resistant green board for the west wall, spackle and paint -  a lot cheaper/sheet than plywood.  Also agree with Wayne's suggestion of Ply. or green-board above and below windows.
Moxie Bootlegger

Carl G. Soderstrom

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Looking for 2' NG knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: April 21, 2020, 10:55:08 PM »
Was going to recommend Slatwall - but that cost 4 (on sale) to 5 X that of plywood -
at the place of the Orange Vests.

If the building is not going to be heated then single sheathing would be OK where
there are no displays. If flat area syndrome rears its head, some 1/8th inch slant boards
would curb that and make it easier to dust.

Graham Buxton

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: April 21, 2020, 11:38:52 PM »
Its possible to 'make your own' slatwall from a standard panel, or from individual boards - with an appropriate router bit.  Here is one example:
https://www.orangealuminum.com/slatwall-inserts-and-systems/router-bits.html

That vendor also offers "inserts" for the slats, to match the slot cut by their router bits:

https://www.orangealuminum.com/slatwall-inserts-and-systems/slatwall-inserts.html

Inserts are not required, but offer better durability to the slot, and perhaps a more finished appearance.
Graham

Bob Holmes

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: April 22, 2020, 07:24:00 AM »
Consider sheathing with board such as we did in the shop??

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: April 22, 2020, 05:49:57 PM »
I like John's idea of green board on the west wall, especially if it's finished and then painted satin-finish white to reflect light. When the dark-colored passenger equipment is in there, it will absorb a lot of the ambient light coming in the windows.

The Slatwall stuff looks very professional, but also looks very expensive! And the fittings to support stuff will cost a bunch as well, I would bet.

I don't know if there is a "Collaborative Interior Display Committee," but such a group should have some say how the interior is finished and lit, if electricity eventually is to be installed.

Bob Holmes

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: April 22, 2020, 06:50:07 PM »
I think we can assume that electricity will be installed.  Once we get a feed over there, that's relatively modest investment to get the building fully wired.

Vincent "Lightning" LeRow

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: April 23, 2020, 09:34:48 AM »
Considering Electricity will be installed, and the increased activity in the building in general, it appears to be time to reconsider fire suppression.
A spike saved is a spike earned.