Author Topic: June 2019 Work Reports  (Read 41565 times)

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
June 2019 Work Reports
« on: May 29, 2019, 06:05:27 AM »
Anticipated work for weekend of June 1:

* Ties: Fred has been cutting ties, may want to cut more
* Boxcar 67
* Track work
* Machine shop work
* Car shop extension and drainage

Fred Morse

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
Re: June 2019 Work Reports
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2019, 04:44:35 PM »
Had a good group of helpers this morning, cut and stacked a little over a 100 ties. We'll be using some of them soon on the new siding.

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2019, 06:15:21 PM »
I was on the steam engine today, so I didn't see a lot of what went on.  There weren't a lot of people around to make much happen.

* Ties: as Fred reported above, ties were cut.
* Boxcar 67: I think the second door got brought down, but it's not on yet
* Earthmoving: Brendan was moving earth around, but I didn't observe what he was doing exactly.

We had several groups of kids from Freeport schools come to pretend to be boxcar hobos, as part of a class project.  And Mystic Valley Rwy Society had a bus tour which included us.

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2019, 08:31:06 PM »
Three photos from today...

See, Fred, we do take photos of you at work!  Dwight and Josh look on as Fred cuts a former New Hampshire guard rail post down to five feet -- the length needed for two-foot gauge ties.  Fred kept a small crew busy in the morning as he cut 100 or so ties needed for the Mountain Extension in October and planned Sheepscot side track and railway tie replacements over the course of this year.  About 1000 ties will be needed for the fall Mountain Extension work.

Some of the 400 or so ties Fred has cut this spring.

A retaining wall has been built for the planned ramp track between the garage (left) and restroom building (right).  The face of the wall is set wide so the track can be adjusted left or right to meet the trailer delivering or picking up railway equipment.  The grate for the recently installed parking lot catch basin can be seen in the foreground.

After the Mystic Valley Railway Society toured our Sheepscot yard and rode the train, Dave B. rode their tour bus up Route 218 to our right of way near Trout Brook and led the group on a 1000-foot or so walk down to the Trout Brook bridge.  In May 2018, the MVRS and Russ Rylko family announced our Museum was the recipient of a $6,100 2018 W. Russell Rylko Memorial Award to aid in our reconstruction of the bridge and Mountain Extension.  Dave's tour showing the bridge now in place was our way of saying thank you to the MVRS and the Rylko family for their support in our railway restoration work.
What–me worry?

Joe Fox

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2019, 06:53:22 AM »
I hope to use ties at ToM for tie replacements. We have a few hubdred ties up there that really need to be used up or relocated to where they will get used.

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2019, 07:39:08 AM »
Thanks for the photos, Bill. Are you sure that the photo of Fred wasn't staged? ;D

Jeff S.
Hey Rocky, watch me pull a moose trout out of my hat.

Fred Morse

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2019, 07:45:51 AM »
Joe, we're going to use all we have and will, probably need more. Jason and I were talking about it Weds. Ties and money disappear at about the same pace!

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2019, 09:38:43 AM »
Ties and money disappear at about the same pace!
Fred, 
You are too wise.
B2
~ B2 ~ Wascally Wabbit & Gofer ~

Jason M Lamontagne

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2019, 01:10:32 PM »
Wait, do they go to the same place?  A hole in the ground??

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2019, 04:31:57 PM »
Wait, wait, wait... I noticed in the last picture that there is a stair with a hand rail going to the up-side-down yellow trailer.  Does this mean that it has been under refurbishment for so long that it is now a recognized tour stop for our visitors as they look around our campus?  The stair is so they can get up on the underside of the deck to check out the work (or non work) being accomplished?

Seriously though, I do understand there are a ton of projects that tug at our volunteers, but just couldn't resist the observation.
~ B2 ~ Wascally Wabbit & Gofer ~

Fred Morse

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2019, 05:23:46 PM »
I find the second step is a good place to sit down on so I can rest before I get to the garage, or to watch others work.

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2019, 07:52:54 PM »
I dropped by for a few minutes this afternoon to drop off a 1000 ft cable, and Brendan was building some sort of step thing “for Fred.”

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2019, 05:43:12 AM »
Anticipated work for weekend of June 8:

* Saturday is Alna Day, various Alna entities will be open and some will set up shop in our shop.
* Mountain Extension: tamping, if the tamper is ready and crew is present.  Fred will probably be cutting ties.
* Car barn extension/landscaping.
* Boxcar 67
* Track maint: ballasting?
* Board meeting Saturday evening starting at 4:00.

Paul Uhland

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2019, 11:45:49 AM »
Is part of the Sheepscot drainage plan to put a drop inlet near the front of the shop building's, almost constant, right-in-the-way puddles, set to drain under the station?
Hope so.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 11:56:30 AM by Paul Uhland »
Paul Uhland

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2019, 02:16:00 PM »
The puddles have been addressed for this year, but yes. There is a plan. A catch basin will be located near the north east corner of the shop, with a pipe draining it to the station side. There will also be a perimiter french drain with a filter wrapped pipe in the bottom of it to take run off water from the roof and ground, directing it into the catch basin. The remaining area will then be regraded to gently slope toward the new drainage system, eliminating the puddles.

There are also other basins planned, but not as high a priority. I will have a discussion at a future board meeting about the planned improvements, and more importantly, we can decide how to fund them. Getting the drainage underground will help tremendously, but is also pricey. So a little improvement every year. This year was an expensive start to an expandable system.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...