Author Topic: Trouble-shooting the WW&F Magneto Phone System  (Read 2315 times)

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
Trouble-shooting the WW&F Magneto Phone System
« on: July 13, 2021, 11:45:35 AM »
As you know, the track-side magneto telephone line is an important part of WW&F operations. For several weeks, line defects between Brook Crossing and Sheepscot Station have disabled communication between these points. I have purchased a very fancy cable tester and have made some tests, but walking problems have limited my ability to pursue the results of these tests. I can use the cable tester to roughly locate the faults, but I need help to visually confirm the damage locations.
Is there someone available to assist some afternoon? Let's arrange something so I can bring a field phone and the magic tester.
Thanks!
John McNamara “Chief Ding-a-ling”
« Last Edit: July 13, 2021, 02:06:11 PM by John McNamara »

Brian Whitney

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
Re: Trouble-shooting the WW&F Magneto Phone System
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2021, 07:03:08 AM »
I can help one day next week. Let me know a good day.
Brian W.

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2021, 12:58:02 PM »
Tuesday, 20 July, or Wednesday, 21 July, would be good. Your preference?
Saturday 24 July will be occupied by Rules Day.
Thanks!
John M

Brian Whitney

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2021, 01:27:25 PM »
I'm there every Tuesday working with Steve Lennox. Maybe he can spare me for the afternoon, if not I can come back on Wednesday.

Russ Nelson

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2021, 12:29:52 AM »
As you know, the track-side magneto telephone line is an important part of WW&F operations. For several weeks, line defects between Brook Crossing and Sheepscot Station have disabled communication between these points. I have purchased a very fancy cable tester and have made some tests, but walking problems have limited my ability to pursue the results of these tests. I can use the cable tester to roughly locate the faults, but I need help to visually confirm the damage locations.
Is there someone available to assist some afternoon? Let's arrange something so I can bring a field phone and the magic tester.
My wife and I will be there August 3-5 looking for work. She'll probably be working on the computers in the office, but I'm up for field work. Plus I'm an official Electrical Engineer!