Author Topic: Water tanks on the WW&F  (Read 5913 times)

Bob Holmes

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
Water tanks on the WW&F
« on: May 23, 2019, 02:05:28 AM »
So how many, and where, water tanks were there on the WW&F?

Thanks.

Bob

Joe Fox

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
Re: Water tanks on the WW&F
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2019, 08:56:15 AM »
I can directly think of 3 water tanks. Bailey, Head Tide, and one at one of the "Mills". Then you had the stand pipes in Wiscasset, Albion and most likely Winslow.

As for coal consumption it really depends on the train and terrain. Monson appears somewhat flat, but I would suspect Sandy River may have under estimated their coal consumption as they ran the large engines a lot near the end.

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2019, 10:38:59 AM »
North Vassalboro on the Winslow branch near the American Woolen Company Mill spur had a tank.  North Vassalboro was not quite 11 miles from Weeks Mills.
What–me worry?

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2019, 02:15:57 PM »
I can directly think of 3 water tanks. Bailey, Head Tide, and one at one of the "Mills". Then you had the stand pipes in Wiscasset, Albion and most likely Winslow.

Weeks Mills and Coopers Mills. Also South Albion.

Jeff S.
Hey Rocky, watch me pull a moose trout out of my hat.

Bob Holmes

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2019, 11:41:42 PM »
Is there a map that shows ALL of the tank/standpipe locations?

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2019, 12:21:40 PM »
Is there a map that shows ALL of the tank/standpipe locations?

I believe in Two Feet to Tidewater there is a map sketch done by Linwood Moody. It shows the locations of the tanks.

Jeff S.
Hey Rocky, watch me pull a moose trout out of my hat.

Philip Marshall

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2019, 04:20:41 PM »
North Vassalboro on the Winslow branch near the American Woolen Company Mill spur had a tank.  North Vassalboro was not quite 11 miles from Weeks Mills.

For those who are interested, our archivist Linda Zollers has some recently acquired (within the last year) high quality photos of the North Vassalboro tank that are far superior to the single grainy picture shown in Narrow Gauge in the Sheepscot Valley. They're part of an album of photos taken during the construction of the Winslow Branch.

Steve Smith

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2019, 02:46:57 AM »
There was a discussion in the Forum, I believe on 5/24/2019, of water tank locations on the WW&F, which I tried to find tonight without success. In it, Jeff Schumacher thought he might have seen a map in the book Two Feet to Tidewater showing tank locations. I suspect what Jeff recalled was the track diagrams by Linwood Moody on pages 255-258. From those diagrams and photos elsewhere in the book I came up with the following list of water tanks shown on Moody’s diagrams, in which miles figures mean miles from Wiscasset. I took mileage figures from the timetable, and those presumably referred to the station locations, so the exact mileage to the tanks would be slightly different. I hope I didn’t miss many tanks.
1. By the Wiscasset shop
2. Mile 1
3. Head Tide 9.1
4. Between North Whitefield and Coopers Mills 20.4
5. Weeks Mills 28.2
6. Newell’s 31
7. Crosby Tank 43 (about ½ mile south of Albion station)

On Weeks Mills to Winslow Branch
8. South China 31.5
9. North Vassalboro 39.1

I would think that in addition to those 9, there would have been one at Winslow, but Moody’s diagram for Winslow didn’t show a tank. It did, however show a LOT of water in the Kennebec—many wavy lines!

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2019, 07:12:14 PM »
There was a discussion in the Forum, I believe on 5/24/2019, of water tank locations on the WW&F
[Moderator's Note]
These discussions have been combined into this new topic.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

James Patten

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2019, 09:39:06 PM »
The "Head Tide" water tank wasn't actually in Head Tide, it was actually in Whitefield, between Head Tide and King's Mills/Whitefield.  I think across the river it was still Alna, so maybe that's how it got the name.

For those of you driving 218 between the two locations, "Nilson's Lane" is the approximate location of the tank.  It's just north of the second time the powerlines cross 218, by the auto repair shop.

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2019, 10:35:00 PM »
Regardless of township, one day we shall have the opportunity to rebuild the tank in its original position when the tracks reach that point.   :D
Moxie Bootlegger

James Patten

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2019, 11:34:32 PM »
A point of note: in Maine, a "township" is generally an unorganized territory.  Maine actually has quite a bit of unorganized territory, it seems to be approximately half of the State.  See this image, it's the results of one of the elections.  Gray has nobody reporting:

If it's organized, it's either a Town or a City.  I don't believe that the WW&F ever traversed any townships; I'm quite sure that the SR&RL did.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 11:36:06 PM by James Patten »

John Stone

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2019, 01:38:03 AM »
Am I right in assuming that all these water tanks had to have some sort of heat for the winter? And as far as filling these tanks, did any of them have to have a pump? I remember a fellow I worked with, many years ago, who's father was pump tender at Milford on the RF&P. I think he said they used a gasoline engine to power the pump.

Gary Kraske

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2019, 06:12:15 AM »
John, It occurred to me, what did they use before internal combustion engines?  Did the. RRsof the 1850s use steam from a locomotive take-off to drive a steam piston pump?

John Stone

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2019, 01:15:45 PM »
Gary, this was to fill the wayside water tank. The era I was talking about would have been the 30's-40's (RF&P, not WW&F). I think a stationary steam engine may have been used to power the pump during earlier times. I was wondering if the WW&F had to use similar arrangements or if they located the tanks where gravity
could do the job.