Author Topic: De Winton locomotive returns to Caernarfon  (Read 1025 times)

John L Dobson

  • Museum Member
  • Brakeman
  • ***
  • Posts: 191
    • View Profile
De Winton locomotive returns to Caernarfon
« on: April 03, 2019, 02:13:19 PM »
The De Winton vertical-boilered locomotive Watkin has returned to Caernarfon as an exhibit in the WHR's new station building, having previously been preserved in the small railway museum at Penrhyn Castle near Bangor. Watkin is three-foot gauge and was built in 1893 in the De Winton works, located just across the road from the new WHR station. It worked all its active life moving wagon-loads of rock on a wharf owned by the Penmaenmawr granite quarry on the coast of the Menai Strait, opposite Anglesey.

Part of the De Winton works still exists – the red brick building in the background in photo No.3. See:  http://insidemotion.co.uk  You may have to scroll down the site as information about F&WHR activities is being added fairly reqularly.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 02:46:25 PM by John L Dobson »
John L Dobson
Editor, FR Magazine