Author Topic: March 2019 Work Reports  (Read 36836 times)

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
Re: March 2019 Work Reports
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2019, 08:50:04 AM »
The big thing about organization will be the self discipline needed to return the used item to it's proper location. I don't care how much time (well I do, because I like things neat) how much time is put into organizing, if someone just sets things down when they are done ("I'll finish it later") instead of putting them back at the end of their shift or when they go work on something else, it will be back to looking forever for the tool you need. Self discipline.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2019, 12:08:05 PM »
I have been griping on and off for as long as I've been a member about the folks who just drop tools wherever they last use them. In my dad's shop, the last half hour of the work day was when tools got put away and the bench and floor were swept.  And everyone who worked in the shop was expected to do their part. I would also be in favor of a tool chest for "everyday" use, open to everyone, and other tool chests that are locked and only accessed by those who know how to use and care for the tools. No more using a chisel as a screwdriver! And for heaven's sake, will someone please go through the hand tools and throw out the ones that are bent, broken or otherwise no longer functional!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 03:27:36 PM by Wayne Laepple »

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2019, 03:09:55 PM »
I was going to suggest having white shelves and red shelves with a small dab of paint on items to indicate their appropriate shelf, but then I remembered the red zone / white zone scene from Airplane.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvdNCDVmRPo
Lest people think that I'm being frivolous (heaven forbid), I really mean that we should have a means of identifying what goes where. I once belonged to a railroad club where people marked their tools with colored dots. A fellow whose initials were RED obviously used red dots on his possessions. Yellow dots identified club tools, etc.  Adopting a color code of red for running gear, green for cab stuff, blue for air/vacuum, yellow for electrical, would only be needed for small parts.

Putting like stuff with like stuff is also valuable. For example, in Alice's Room, the first bay on the right of the entrance contains magneto telephone stuff. The bays on the right outside that room contain electrical stuff.

I would be happy to provide printed 4x8 card stock labels and thumbtacks for the shelves if someone would sent me a list of the categories for these labels.

John M

Gordon Cook

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Board Member 2009-2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2019, 06:05:18 PM »
I am a big fan of making it easy to do the right thing. If there's already a spot designated for the tool I'm holding, it's doesn't take much more effort to put it away. If I have to figure out what to do with it, then I'm probably going to mutter "#%#*!" and just set it down somewhere.
John's idea is great, 'cause if a volunteer doesn't know exactly what category thing they are holding, they will still have a good chance at getting it back in the right place.
I am with Wayne in acquiring more tool chests to store tools out of the dust of the shop and keep those that are precision instruments separate from the every day stuff.
And we shouldn't forget to organize all materials.
And, to Mike's point, I'm optimistic that a neat shop will encourage its own discipline. If the shop is a mess, it will tend to stay a mess. If we see a well organized shop, we'll be more inclined to keep it that way, and that will become part of the WW&F culture.

Gawdon

ALAIN DELASSUS

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2019, 06:39:16 PM »
I do agree with your last sentence Gordon .

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2019, 06:50:02 PM »
... shops have always been a clutter, to stay polite, despite the umpteen attempts to make things change.  French people are not reputed to be  orderly and disciplined but I'm sure you'll make it because you guys are use to working miracles ;)
Ah Alain, if it were only so easy.  That doesn’t mean we shouldn’t nor won’t try, but alas, some miracles take longer than others.
~ B2 ~ Wascally Wabbit & Gofer ~

Bob Holmes

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2019, 07:16:14 PM »
When we get the machine shop insulation, sheathing and shelves done, and the machines positioned where we WANT them to be, it will be easier to organize the tools as you all have been suggesting.  Right now, it's hard enough just to physically move around the shop.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2019, 09:34:26 PM »
Gordon, you do make an excellent point. At one time, the machine shop when it was in bay 4 was neat. Everything was put back or close to it. But then it got busy.. Any available flat surface was cluttered. Hard to find stuff. Now there will be more room for proper storage. Hoping for that self discipline to show up again. It would make us more efficient..
Mike

Keith Taylor

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2019, 09:48:28 AM »
Once things are organized,putting tools where they belong should be easy. Just put it back to the spot where you found it. And EVERY person that uses a tool is personally responsible for cleaning up and returning the tool. Nobody is so important that others should have to clean up after them.
And not only replacing tools to their proper spot.....but cleaning up chips and saw dust at the work location. This is not just a matter of being neat....but one of safety.
Keith

Gordon Cook

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Board Member 2009-2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2019, 09:58:15 AM »
Last thought:
We're bigger now: more people, more projects, more machines, more tools, etc.
This issue has become acute because of our growth and facilities improvements. That's a good thing, but, as you all know, bigger means more complication and requires more planning and coordination to keep things moving. We've seen that already in other areas and organizing the shop is another part of all the good things that are happening.
Gawdon

Jason M Lamontagne

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2019, 08:29:46 PM »
Saturday March 9 “freight” movement.

On Saturday we plan to deliver a tube to ML&M by rail.  Our “freight” is a 3” diameter by 24’ long steel tube.  We plan to use one of the flats, a coach and 52.  Departure after lunch, which will hopefully be after that day’s Mountain cutting activities are complete.  Depending on how it goes, we may choose to continue opening the remainder of the line.

Temps above freezing Friday and Saturday.  Based on that and current snow levels in Alna, we’re not even planning on reinstalling the plow. 

This is a non-revenue move, in continuing support of our collaboration with ML&M.  With our permission, the delivery truck was directed to our lot rather than ML&M’s, due to the incomplete yard track restricting access (it’s yet to be flooded with gravel), and the surrounding driveway being shear ice.  We continue to enjoy the use of the ML&M caboose, and have discussed several other exciting possibilities.

Normally this wouldn’t be worth the fanfare of such a post, but it is our first on-line delivery for someone other than us!  (I think...?)

See ya
Jason

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2019, 08:51:10 PM »
After lunch would be a great time for a delivery, then a ride to end of track to look at the cutting that has taken place all winter. It is one thing to see the pictures online, but in person gives you the real feel of "the Mountain".

We should be done cutting by mid morning, with only a handfull of spruce trees to take down, about 400 feet south of the bridge. They are not in the way, but 2 are standing dead (Hazard!!) and a couple of live ones may brush a train car on the way by. The time is right to get them..
Mike

Jason M Lamontagne

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2019, 09:03:22 PM »
Great plan.  Let’s do it.

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2019, 09:33:28 PM »
Well, now we are no longer just a tourist railway, we are now also a freight railroad. Revenue be darned, lookout Maine Central.
~ B2 ~ Wascally Wabbit & Gofer ~

Brian Strait

• Museum Member
  • Flagman
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2019, 10:05:19 PM »
Is there any way we could charge $1 and make our first revenue freight run?