Author Topic: March 2019 Work Reports  (Read 37088 times)

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
March 2019 Work Reports
« on: February 27, 2019, 06:50:39 AM »
Anticipated work for Saturday March 2:

* Mountain Extension: more clearing, this may be it if we get enough people.
* Car shop insulation
* Flatcar 34

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
Re: March 2019 Work Reports
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2019, 05:52:33 AM »
Snow expected for Saturday, with 1 to 3 inches expected. I am still planning on cutting, at least half the day. Much more snow is coming for Sunday into Monday.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2019, 02:29:53 PM »
Snow expected for Saturday, with 1 to 3 inches expected. I am still planning on cutting, at least half the day. Much more snow is coming for Sunday into Monday.

Has this been a snowy winter for Maine?

Jeff S.
Hey Rocky, watch me pull a moose trout out of my hat.

Keith Taylor

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2019, 02:43:55 PM »

Has this been a snowy winter for Maine?

Jeff S.
[/quote]

Depends on where in the state you are. Around the WW&F area not especially snowy, about average.
Keith

Fred Morse

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2019, 05:01:14 PM »
There's probably 10 inches of snow where were cutting. None this week. Northern Maine has had over 10 feet. Way up North.

Bob Holmes

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2019, 07:09:04 PM »
But possibly quite a bit more coming tomorrow (Sat) and Sunday...

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2019, 07:31:47 PM »
This has been a terrible winter for actual snow storms in our area.  Most storms end up with the Low skirting the coast instead of being deep in the Gulf of Maine, which means the coast and a bit inland gets some snow and then rain, while further inland they get snow, then ice, then rain.  Only mountainous areas and The County have gotten all snow.  Caribou has a good shot of breaking their all time snow record of about 200" in a year!  We've had only one good blizzard, back in January that canceled one of the Steam and Sleighs. 

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2019, 09:26:27 PM »
Here inland in Maine we have had 101.5 inches of snow. We have also had some rain, which I don't measure. A little higher than normal for March 1st, but not bad. Our average here is about 8 feet a year. I currently have over 3 feet of snow on the ground. It is going to be a muddy mess when it melts because early snows prevented any frost.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2019, 05:28:28 PM »
Work done on Saturday March 2:

* Mountain Extension: we are mostly done with the cutting.  There's a few trees Mike wants to take on the straightaway south of the bridge (next weekend), and there's several trees at the end of the curve at the end of track that have to come down (move everything via train to a fire location).
* Flatcar 34: All decking boards have been cut to length, Zack put down two of them this afternoon.
* Archives: Linda was busy scanning and cataloging.  She's actually been doing this all winter, I just haven't mentioned it.

There didn't appear to be much progress in insulating over the week, although the wall boards had been put up completely on the south wall of the center bay, and lots of shelving has gone up.

Jason M Lamontagne

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2019, 06:30:18 PM »
The wall sheathing has been extremely tedious, as the wall has required custom shimming to bring the sheathing on the bay 2 “knock out” doors flush with the surrounding area; machines are hopelessly in the way at every step, and custom cutting is required on nearly every board.    Brendan got a good start at it a couple weeks ago;  Jay Barta has patiently been carrying this on.

The shelving is a hugely important step as it allows us to organize the mess which has congregated in the center of the new machine shop area.  Instead of moving the mess, we now have the opportunity to find permanent homes for what the shop needs, save some for upstairs, and throw a lot of stuff away.

Insulating the remaining ceiling and applying the sheetrock ceiling will be no small feat.  I hope to be on to no 10 soon- which means the shop work will likely carry on concurrently.

See ya
Jason

Gordon Cook

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Board Member 2009-2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2019, 10:26:47 PM »
[This is not meant as a criticism, but as a recognition of a side effect of the many tasks being done by many people at the 'Shoppes at Sheepscot", and a suggestion going forward to make our new shop more fun and productive. ]

Jason writes-
"The shelving is a hugely important step as it allows us to organize the mess which has congregated in the center of the new machine shop area.  Instead of moving the mess, we now have the opportunity to find permanent homes for what the shop needs, save some for upstairs, and throw a lot of stuff away."

One of the frustrating things for all of us trying to accomplish a job at Sheepscot is the time wasted looking for something. Many people work in our shop, and have different habits, styles, and ways of doing things. Moving the machine shop shuffled the deck even more than usual.
A place for everything and everything in its place will be a tremendous time and energy saver for everyone. 
I would encourage a thorough and complete plan for the location, storage, and identification of all the 'stuff' in the new shop, including someone responsible for implementing it. That person will need to be someone who can be there often, to keep things under control, with a good sense of organization and understanding of how tasks are done.
I feel we've ignored this for a long time for many good reasons, and I understand that it is not a 'fun' job or one that just anybody can do well.
But now is a great opportunity to make the new shop space much more efficient and fun and really make the most of all the good work already done.
Gawdon

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2019, 11:50:55 PM »
I was going to suggest having white shelves and red shelves with a small dab of paint on items to indicate their appropriate shelf, but then I remembered the red zone / white zone scene from Airplane.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvdNCDVmRPo

ALAIN DELASSUS

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2019, 07:00:09 AM »
You're right Gordon it's worth a try. Same here on the AMTP. The engineshed and shops have always been a clutter, to stay polite, despite the umpteen attempts to make things change.  French people are not reputed to be  orderly and disciplined but I'm sure you'll make it because you guys are use to working miracles ;)

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2019, 08:08:59 AM »
One of the frustrating things for all of us trying to accomplish a job at Sheepscot is the time wasted looking for something.

Gordon's observation applies to operating train items as well as shop items.  At the start of our February Steam & Saws event, several of us had to scrounge for a skate for the work train.  The one that had been on flatcar 118 for the January event had since walked.  Most train crew supplies can be found in Sheepscot station, but things like skates need a home to which they are returned after each use.

Kudos to everyone working on the shop improvements this winter.
What–me worry?

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2019, 08:12:34 AM »
As far as shop tools, I would add to the "tool boss" description;  create a tool log, location index, and tag system where tools are "tagged" out to a person/project to help locate when needed by others along with a tag in when returned.
Moxie Bootlegger