Author Topic: Flanging snow on the D&S  (Read 8675 times)

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
Flanging snow on the D&S
« on: February 16, 2019, 07:59:03 AM »
Here is a really nice pacing video of engine No. 476 and a flanger on the Durango & Silverton just the other day. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSoYxGlx8k8&t=16s

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
Re: Flanging snow on the D&S
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2019, 08:53:40 PM »
Very nice!
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Keith Taylor

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2019, 06:20:47 AM »
We always ran the flanger / spreader “ahead” of the locomotive.
The flanger won’t keep the locomotive from derailing if it is behind the engine.

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2019, 08:21:55 AM »
From the position of the target on the flanger/spreader and the fact that they went over several crossings it looked like they were only spreading, not flanging.  I guess the guy standing on the caboose platform was there to lower the flanger if needed. 
~ B2 ~ Wascally Wabbit & Gofer ~

Tom Casper

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
    • Sandy Ridge & Clear Lake Ry.
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2019, 08:49:54 AM »
the flanger controls are located in the caboose so the guy on the platform was enjoying his ride.

Tom C.
Later:
tom_srclry_com

Tom Casper

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
    • Sandy Ridge & Clear Lake Ry.
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2019, 09:03:04 AM »
A post from someone who knows about OF on another board I read.

"I should point out that while the OF is a flanger the D&S doesn't actually flange with it. They use the movable wings for spreading. At least that was the policy when I was there. After the rebuild we did make sure that the flanger blade will still move up and down. In the video the blade is in the raised position.

Jeff Taylor"
Later:
tom_srclry_com

Kevin Madore

• Museum Member
  • Brakeman
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
    • My Flicker Albums
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2019, 10:14:57 AM »
I think Jeff Taylor's post is correct.   I watched the video closely and nothing changed when the train passed through several grade crossings.   There are signs on the line that would indicate to the crew when to raise and lower the flanger blades, and I have personally ridden in the cupola of that caboose, so I know the controls are there.....but it appears that what we are really seeing these days are plow/spreader trains vs. flanger trains, at least on the D&S.    Back in 2016, I participated in a photo charter operated by the Friends of the C&TS on the eastern side of that railroad, in which Flanger OJ was operated.   On that trip, I believe we were actually flanging and the spreaders on OJ were also in use.   There, the blades were raised and lowered with controls on the locomotive.

Here's a shot looking down on OJ, from an open gondola immediately behind it:   http://www.railpictures.net/photo/571380/

The Friends attempted to run a similar trip this spring, which would have included both the flanger and the Jordan Spreader, but alas, with all of the charters and Last Spike anniversary events happening this spring, they just didn't get enough people to sign up.

/Kevin Madore

Bob Holmes

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2019, 11:09:06 PM »
Wonderful Picture!