Author Topic: Michigan's Huckleberry Railroad >>>Photos<<<  (Read 7975 times)

Kevin Madore

• Museum Member
  • Brakeman
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
    • My Flicker Albums
Michigan's Huckleberry Railroad >>>Photos<<<
« on: February 11, 2019, 11:13:39 PM »
Folks,

On January 14, 2019, Lerro Productions ran a photo charter on Michigan's Huckleberry Railroad, featuring Locomotive's US 152 and DRGW 464, along with a number of historic wooden coaches. The Huckleberry Railroad is a roughly 4-mile, 36" gauge tourist railroad, operating on former Pere Marquette right-of-way, just outside Flint, Michigan, in the township of Genesee. The line's passenger depot is located in the Crossroads Village attraction, which I believe is run by the Genesee County Parks & Recreation Commission. Like most tourist railroads, it doesn't typically operate in January, but an exception was made for this private charter. Although we had all been hoping for some snow, we were fortunate to have a nice, sunny, cold Michigan day, which provided dense, steamy exhaust plumes and great light for photography. Pete Lerro did a great job organizing the event, and the crews at the Huckleberry did the rest, putting on a great show with their beautifully maintained and very photogenic trains. I think that a number of more well-known narrow gauge lines would be most envious of the great string of historic wooden coaches these folks have. Narrow gauge equipment like that might have been very available on the market when this line was built in the 1970s, but certainly not today. The line is unique among tourist railroads in that it has balloon loops on both ends for turning. Laid out a bit like a great, big model railroad, the power is always facing forward, which makes the place even more fun to photograph.

I've put together a small Flickr album of images taken during this trip, as well as a few shots that I took during my last visit in 2009. It had definitely been too long between visits, but well worth the wait to see both of their steamers in action in great light. If you've never been there, take a look and see what you have been missing.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/112261457@N06/albums/72157706738134454

If you're considering places to vacation this summer, consider the Detroit area. There are a number of steam railroads in the region besides the Huckleberry that you can also visit. Among them, the Steam Railroading Institute in Owosso, Greenfield Village in Dearborn, and the Little River Railroad in Coldwater.

/Kevin Madore

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
Re: Michigan's Huckleberry Railroad >>>Photos<<<
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2019, 05:42:56 AM »
Kevin,

Great pix.   Thanks for sharing
~ B2 ~ Wascally Wabbit & Gofer ~

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2019, 08:20:44 AM »
Yes, great pictures.

Jeff S.
Hey Rocky, watch me pull a moose trout out of my hat.

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2019, 10:29:54 AM »
And, if anyone is looking for a summer job, there are a number of openings at the Huckleberry RR. See below.

http://www.gc4me.com/hrhome/public_job_vacancies.php

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2019, 12:15:49 PM »
Wowie, Dowie, one could take the experience they gain at the WW&F Museum and qualify for a lot of jobs at the Michigan Huckleberry Railroad.  And, even get paid...

Ah, but one would have to give up the Maine two foot experience and all the wonderful comradeship of our WW&F. 

But then I forget, we are paid in all the cookies we can eat during the Work Weekends.

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2019, 01:07:43 PM »
But then I forget, we are paid in all the cookies we can eat during the Work Weekends.
So that's where all the cookies went. ::)

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2019, 04:41:30 PM »
John,

You have figured it out, I am the closet cookie monster.  Of course, even when I am there and know when I have raided the cookie jar, or cabinet as it were, I am still amazed at how fast the stash is depleted.

My hat's off to Cindy who replenishes the stash and all the ladies who bake cookies for us who crave a sugar fix during the work weekends.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 04:45:22 PM by Bill Baskerville »

Mike the Choochoo Nix

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2019, 09:16:06 AM »
It's good to know that homemade cookies like workers are always welcome at the railroad. I'll have to remember that.
Mike Nix
Mike Nix