Author Topic: THANK YOU, LEIGH WEBB AND THE MASS BAY RRE!  (Read 5774 times)

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
THANK YOU, LEIGH WEBB AND THE MASS BAY RRE!
« on: January 27, 2019, 01:44:42 PM »
On Saturday, January 26, 2019, at approximately 2:24pm, the Massachusetts Bay Railroad Enthusiasts announced our Museum is the recipient of the 2019 H. Albert Webb Memorial Railroad Preservation Award to support the purchase of track materials and labor for our Mountain Extension project!

The announcement was made at the Amherst Railway Society’s Railroad Hobby Show January 26th at the Big E in West Springfield, MA.  The $10,000 grant will greatly aid our push to extend the railway across Trout Brook to Route 218!

The Wiscasset, Waterville & Farmington Railway Museum is ecstatic with the interest that the Mountain Extension has received from the entire heritage railway community, and we thank the Mass Bay RRE, and Leigh Webb in particular, for their support of this project. The continued restoration of the WW&F Railway would not be possible without the enthusiasm and excitement among railroad preservationists. We appreciate the long-time support from the Mass Bay RRE which directly fuels the motivation, interest and progress of our volunteers.

Thank You!

WW&F Railway Museum president Dave Buczkowski (holding a microphone) stands with Mass Bay RRE president David Brown, following the announcement that the WW&F is the recipient of the 2019 H. Albert Webb Memorial Railroad Preservation Award. The $10,000 award will be used for the purchase of track materials and labor for our Mountain Extension. Photo by HWMNBN
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
Re: THANK YOU, LEIGH WEBB AND THE MASS BAY RRE!
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2019, 02:14:00 PM »
That's great news! How many grants has the museum received from Mass Bay RRE?

Jeff S.
Hey Rocky, watch me pull a moose trout out of my hat.

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2019, 03:14:02 PM »
From the Mass Bay RRE, in particular, we have been honored with...
the H. Albert Webb Memorial Award in 2010 for extending the shop building southward. ($10,000)
a Mass Bay Preservation Award in 2018 toward the Trout Brook Bridge. ($1,000)
the H. Albert Webb Memorial Award in 2019 for the Mountain Extension. ($10,000)

Other grants we have received over the last 10 years include those from the Emery Rail Heritage Trust, the Amherst Railway Society, the Narrow Gauge Preservation Foundation, the Tom E Dailey Foundation, the National Railway Historical Society, and the Mystic Valley Railway Society. And of course, the National Society for the Preservation of Covered Bridges.  I may be forgetting a few others.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Gary Kraske

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2019, 04:52:07 PM »
Thanks to Mass Bay and to all WWF'ers who fornished information to them.  Also Ed, thanks for the listing of award sources over the years. It really demonstrates the widespread support for WWF efforts!

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2019, 09:22:01 PM »
Once again, we have been honored.  This is the result of many actions by many folks.  At the core is the grant team and the publicity team who get the word out to the public at large.  More importantly, what I hear most often, even as far away as here in Virginia is that the WW&F consistently does what they say they are going to do.  Our reputation of, without fail, accomplishing our published goals is well known in the preservation and the railroad community.  I met someone just last weekend who, when he found out that I volunteered at the WW&F, knew of our museum, knew what projects we were working on, and wanted to know more.  This reaction happens more than one would think.

A big Well Done! to all involved.
~ B2 ~ Wascally Wabbit & Gofer ~

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2019, 01:59:19 PM »
Ed,

Nice response to the various questions prompted by the announcement in Trains.
~ B2 ~ Wascally Wabbit & Gofer ~

Joe Fox

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2019, 03:45:32 PM »
Wonder why someone would be so vulgar in wanting figures for the extension. If someone such as Anna wants to know, would it be wrong to simply state how much money has gone or will go into the project for just the mountain work alone?

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2019, 03:54:04 PM »
There is no vulgarity in Anna's comment in Trains. That is her standard signature/disclaimer whenever she posts a comment there - about finding a damn lawyer. (And Paul Marynowych always plugs various funding sources; no one knows why he does that.)

That said, I was going to post a figure for the entire Mountain Extension, but didn't because I would have to try too look that all up. And I am supposed to be working. Like now...
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Joe Fox

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2019, 04:59:30 PM »
Thats good at least. I was kind of confused by the comment, then her "signature" at the end made the comment seem vulgar.

As for work, whats that? Lol.

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2019, 06:03:19 PM »
Nice article, Wayne -- thanks!
What–me worry?

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2019, 09:25:21 AM »
An official presentation by the Mass Bay Railroad Enthusiasts of the 2019 H. Albert Webb Memorial Railroad Preservation Award will take place this Saturday, 4/27 at approximately 6pm on the station platform at Sheepscot. Representatives of the Mass Bay RRE, including the donor, Leigh Webb, will be joining us for dinner preceding the award. Following the presentation, an inspection of the line is planned. All are welcome to attend.

Please be sure to thank Mass Bay RRE, and Mr. Webb for their generous support, not only for this award, but for years past - including the 2010 H. Albert Webb Memorial Railroad Preservation Award which funded the southward extension of the then Car Barn, now converted to a machine shop.

The WW&F is only the second organization to have received two H. Albert Webb Memorial Railroad Preservation Awards.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum