Author Topic: National Geographic Film: The Railroader  (Read 6914 times)

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
National Geographic Film: The Railroader
« on: January 26, 2019, 12:53:36 PM »
An excellent video featuring our friend John Bush and the Cumbres and Toltec Scenic Railroad...

https://video.nationalgeographic.com/video/short-film-showcase/00000168-80f8-df6b-ad7d-c0fe1f210000
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 05:07:19 PM by Ed Lecuyer »
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Bob Springs

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
Re: National Geographic Film: The Railroader
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2019, 05:02:29 PM »
Excellent!  Thanks, Ed.  "Preserving by doing."  I love it!

Bob Springs

Jason M Lamontagne

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2019, 05:12:11 PM »
“The Railroader” is a National Geographic short film focusing on the narrow gauge Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad and it’s President, John Bush.

It is a beautiful piece.  It transcends the C&TS (which is truly magnificent); it transcends preservation and railfanism. 

This film strikes at the very essence of what we pass on from generation to generation, and what community means. 

This film is truly a beautiful 10 minute experience.  I encourage everyone to view it. 

Thank you, Mr. Bush, for sharing this part of yourself.

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2019, 05:27:51 PM »
Yes indeed. I have known John Bush for more than 30 years, and they don't come any better than him. He is an inspiration to us all.

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2019, 05:39:04 PM »
I met John years ago in Chama after getting off the train from Antonito.  Got a special tour of the enginehouse and shop.  What a delight he was and his enthusiasm is infectious. 
Moxie Bootlegger

Philip Marshall

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2019, 09:40:50 PM »
Likewise, I got to meet John Bush briefly when I visited the C&TS in 2014. I was staying in Chama, and first thing in the morning I walked down to the depot where I found a group of railfans gathered with coffee in hand watching the crew getting 487 ready for that morning's train. In the middle was John Bush himself, and he greeted me warmly as I walked up. I immediately felt welcome and at home, and that small gesture left a really positive impression on me. He's a great guy.

Kevin Madore

• Museum Member
  • Brakeman
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
    • My Flicker Albums
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2019, 03:54:58 PM »
The great thing about John is that he's not just an Administrator, he's also the place's biggest fan.   His enthusiasm has really done great things for that railroad.   When I first started going out there nearly a dozen years ago, most of the news I heard about the place was downbeat....revenues, ridership, etc.   I remember being there when they had 2 operable locomotives, one of which was limping along with leaking flues etc.   Since John has taken the reins, its the polar opposite.   The infrastructure, the rolling stock, the ridership, and the revenues have all been steadily improving.   Photographers now complain that the track looks too GOOD for re-enactment photos (you know, "through the weeds, not around them." :))   Although I suspect he could retire now, I really hope he sticks around a while longer.   The holy grail will be seeing OY clearing the pass again.   I know that's on his bucket list.

/Kevin Madore 

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Al Michelis

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2019, 10:04:50 AM »
Wow - did I ever enjoy this film.  Brought back some really good memories.  I first rode the C&TS in the early 90's.  I've made 3 trips on this RR and enjoyed every mile of it.  My mother and I rode it in the late 90's and chased it the second day we were there.  My late wife and I rode it from both directions in 2003.

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2019, 03:47:11 PM »
Beautiful and moving beyond belief.
-John