Author Topic: New Zealand: Model T Ford railcar offers museum visitors a glimpse into the past  (Read 462 times)

James Patten

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
This link was forwarded to us by the president of the Pleasant Point Museum & Railway on the South Island of New Zealand.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/timaru-herald/news/109991693/model-t-ford-railcar-offers-museum-visitors-a-glimpse-into-the-past?cid=app-iPad

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
We need to send him a video of our railcar in action...

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
Really interesting.  Their Railway is 3'6" gauge.  Wikipedia references - "one other replica of a Model T Ford railcar exists in the United States but it was built to different specifications."  The Pleasant Point Museum and Railway has 1.6 miles of track upon which to run.
Wascally Wabbit & Gofer

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
Let's see: there are four in Maine, I think. Plus at least one in Colorado and one in Oregon. I'll bet there are others that I've missed. Maybe it's the only one in the Southern Hemisphere?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 11:28:18 AM by Wayne Laepple »

Keith Taylor

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
Let's see: there are four in Maine, I think. Plus at least one in Colorado and one in Oregon. I'll bet there are others that I've missed. Maybe it's the only one in the Southern Hemisphere?
Four in Maine? I know of the one at the WW&F, one in the Owl’s Head collection and that’s it for Model T rail cars. The two Sandy River rail busses were based on REO trucks and are currently powered with Model A Ford power plants.

Philip Marshall

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
The SR&RL Vose inspection car at MNG is a Model T, plus there is the new replica of SR&RL railbus No. 3 in Phillips. That makes four.

(SR&RL railbuses Nos. 4 and 5 were REOs, but No. 3 was a Ford.)

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
Any photos of the replica SR&RL #3?

Jeff S.
Hey Rocky, watch me pull a moose trout out of my hat.

Keith Taylor

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
Philip
Thanks....I had forgotten about the Vose car.
Was SR&RL 3 a track car or a rail bus?
Keith

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
SR&RL #3 was originally a railbus. I believe it became maintenance equipment, with the arrival of #4 and #5.

Jeff S.
Hey Rocky, watch me pull a moose trout out of my hat.

Philip Marshall

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
There used to be a whole page about the railcar No. 3 project on the old SR&RL website, but it appears to be gone now. I think it was a private project and not officially part of their roster.

John L Dobson

• Museum Member
  • Brakeman
    • View Profile
There's a replica of an SR&RL Model T railcar on the two-foot gauge Beeches Light Railway in Oxfordshire. It has an original model T engine, but I don't know its origin.

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beeches_Light_Railway
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 02:22:27 PM by John L Dobson »
John L Dobson
Editor, FR Magazine