Author Topic: Help Needed Getting Sale Materials From Sheepscot to Amherst Show  (Read 5288 times)

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
Now that the "Springfield Show" is less than a month away, it's time (past time) to think about getting our show materials there.

At one time, Bob Cavanagh / Zack (van) and John Robertson (large station wagon) brought stuff. Neither are going this year. I used to also bring stuff in my large station wagon, but I now have a very compact mini-SUV. Cindy and Stewart are coming, but they are handling her father's exhibit. I expect the Piwowarski family, but their status is unknown. The only people signed up are me, Susan Hackett (CT), Marcel, Duncan Mackiewicz, and Dan Malkowski.

I will be coming up to Sheepscot on either the 12th or the 19th, and staging stuff at my house in Maynard (MA), but my carrying capacity is limited.

Is there anyone out there who can help bring clothes, books, and trinkets from Sheepscot to W. Springfield on January 25-26? The more we bring, the more we sell, and the more money we make for the WW&F. Please post here or PM me.

Thanks!
-John M

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
Re: Help Needed Getting Sale Materials From Sheepscot to Amherst Show
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2019, 05:48:31 PM »
John,

Please check your email.

- Bill
What–me worry?

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2019, 07:48:38 PM »
Might I suggest that this might present an opportunity for a future boxcar restoration.  Would it be possible to restore one of our "donated" boxcars into a "traveling show" car.  By this I mean - the ability to pack in all the materials needed to go to a show like Springfield, roll off on a panel track, and go from there.  In addition, the ability to go to fairs, etc. around Maine; even schools for larger educational events.  But most importantly, travel shows and expositions in New England where we can directly interact with travel companies and bus tour operators.
Moxie Bootlegger

Gary Kraske

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2019, 11:06:15 PM »
John, what would be the transporter for the boxcar and paneltracks.  Would a two wheel drive two capable F-150 six cylinder be enough to haul the envisioned load?  Just thinking of options, I know of a 2014 F-150 with only 3,000 miles on it that might be available.

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2019, 06:40:36 AM »
We took TCDA 65 to the Springfield show years ago.  See http://forum.wwfry.org/index.php/topic,1623.msg19377.html#msg19377 for an on the road picture, and http://forum.wwfry.org/index.php/topic,2128.0.html for in the show.

I know there's more pictures on the road somewhere, will try to find.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 06:43:23 AM by James Patten »

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2019, 07:38:10 AM »
Gary,

I don't think a 1/2 ton would do it.  Now a 3/4 ton can tow up to about 16,000 lbs and a 1 ton about 25,000 lbs provided you have a low geared diesel powered truck.  You would have look at boxcar weight plus all the stuff packed inside plus panel track and trailer.  I think in the big scheme of things, doing shows and events would be so much easier if you can put everything into one package.  Plus the boxcar itself is its own billboard.
Moxie Bootlegger

Gary Kraske

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2019, 12:00:41 PM »
John, thanks for the reply.  'Fraid the truck I had in mind won't do.  Thanks again!

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2019, 12:51:09 PM »
Pretty sure the Springfield run was a one time deal. A lot of work to get the car out there. But, if you built a trailer, like I saw at the Fryeburg Fair this year that resembles a box car, the weight can be significantly reduced, the tow unit becomes almost any 3/4 ton, and could serve the purpose as display and transport..
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2019, 01:10:06 PM »
Mike,  if you have a picture of the Fryburg Fair trailer you mention, please post.  Your idea sounds like just the solution we need.  Brilliant  :)
Moxie Bootlegger

Duncan Mackiewicz

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2019, 04:00:34 PM »
John, check your email. I responded earlier today with a suggestion that might help if no one is available to transport show materials from museum to show.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2019, 04:03:23 PM »
I wish I had taken a picture. Also wish I could remember the name of the company that was selling what ever it was they were selling..
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2019, 04:19:57 PM »
It would be a lot cheaper and less hassle to just rent a trailer from U-Haul for a once a year event. Such a trailer can easily be towed by a Toyota Tacoma pickup, as a friend did just last week during a move from Pennsylvania to Maine.

The difficulties of taking a car and track to Springfield include the need for a larger rig, the expense of tolls, the need for a CDL driver, etc. As for going around to other fairs and events in Maine, the problem is finding people to go along and be present at the events. I'm not even sure we had a presence at the Wiscasset 4th of July parade in 2018.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 04:22:28 PM by Wayne Laepple »