Author Topic: Spring Work Weekend 2019  (Read 30503 times)

Russ Nelson

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
Spring Work Weekend 2019
« on: December 13, 2018, 10:31:49 AM »
Has a date been set for the Spring Work Weekend 2019?

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
Re: Spring Work Weekend 2019
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2018, 10:50:19 AM »
Should be the last weekend in April. 26, 27, 28 April, 2019.

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2019, 11:42:59 AM »
List of projects for SWW, near as I can recall from the board meeting.

* Mountain Extension ballasting (but of course!).  The plan is that there will be two trains of two flatcars, both steam hauled.  Loading at AC, crossing at ToM.  And jacking and tamping too.  This project is the highest priority project.
* Alna Center might have a crew to help clear out trees in preparation for the pavilion (depending on the number of people).
* Sheepscot ditching for conduit and drainage between the garage and restroom.
* Sheepscot prepping for concrete forms for the utility drop building.
* Car shop boarding up the remaining walls that have been insulated.
* Car shop machine shop area organizing and clean up.
* Networking upgrade throughout the campus.
* Rules Review Saturday night.
* And lastly but certainly not the least - feeding the troops!
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 04:33:26 PM by James Patten »

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2019, 02:29:04 PM »
James,

What about rules review?

Jeff S.
Hey Rocky, watch me pull a moose trout out of my hat.

Jason M Lamontagne

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2019, 02:56:46 PM »
Rules review during Saturday evening dinner.

Presentation of special award right after dinner, followed by evening train for crew.

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2019, 03:01:06 PM »
Other SWW events:
- A crew will be upgrading the Wifi and network around the Sheepscot campus. While overall throughput can not be improved (due to the non-availabilty of high-speed Internet on Cross Road (or 218)), overall reliabilty should be much better and with coverage throughout the campus.

- A special presentation will be given by the Mass Bay Railroad Enthusiasts and Mr. Leigh Webb - as we are the reciepiant of the 2019 Webb Memorial Preservation Award - for our work on the Mountain Extension. This will occur Saturday Night, immediately following the rules review and dinner. An "Inspection Train" will then be run. 
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2019, 03:30:35 PM »
Some of you may be wondering what and why I am doing what I am attempting to do.  When spreading ballast from the flat car to the space between the rail and the end of the ties, one usually doesn't have to bend over.  When spreading ballast from the flat car to between the rails one has to bend over and fling the ballast to between the rails.  Bending over is hard on backs for us old guys and gals.  Hence the brain storm, or other gaseous release, of how to make spreading ballast between the rails easier and faster. 

As many of you now know, the result is the ballast chutes, a picture of the final painted version is attached.  Like most projects, the result is a compromise between conflicting goals and limitations.  I have added a rear brace so the operator can place an adjustable foot under the handle end of the chute to reduce operator fatigue.  The limiting factors are the space between the rail head and the truss rods which limits the amount of slide angle.  I hope I have it correct.  I also had to guess as to the angle between the rails and the truss rods and hope that the flanges of the rail wheels aren't going to slip off if the chute is raised to high.  I also had to guess at a compromise location of the wheel barrow wheel so it wouldn't drag when rolling from side to side on the rail head and having to bend down to low (can't seem to get away from bending) to relocate the chute when the flat car moves.

Finally, the rear brace makes some assumptions as to the fall of the drainage ditches off to the edge of the road bed. 

All of this is to humbly say, this is my brain storm (see above mention of gaseous emissions) and I hope it works.  If, when put to use in a week and a few days it works, I will be happy.  If it doesn't work, or is a pain to use, feel free to put it on the Christmas Santa pyre.  If it could use some improvements, I would love to hear the ideas and will rework it when I am up there this summer.

B2
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 03:33:19 PM by Bill Baskerville »
~ B2 ~ Wascally Wabbit & Gofer ~

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2019, 03:58:26 PM »
Bill, I (and my back) applaud your effort.  I look forward to trying out your "invention" during SWW.
Moxie Bootlegger

Paul Uhland

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2019, 08:31:58 PM »
Good job, Bill. The guys who won't need to shovel ballast "into the gauge" (between the rails) I'm sure will thank you.
A+++for effort!!!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 03:46:33 PM by Paul Uhland »
Paul Uhland

Paul Uhland

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2019, 03:55:43 PM »
Sounds like the TOM siding is in the perfect place for Mtn Extension supply trains to pass and keep the  trackwork moving!
Will there be drones keeping track of SWW'19 lotsa work?

Nine days and counting!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 04:04:26 PM by Paul Uhland »
Paul Uhland

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2019, 04:27:46 PM »
Sounds like the TOM siding is in the perfect place for Mtn Extension supply trains to pass and keep the  trackwork moving!
Will there be drones keeping track of SWW'19 lotsa work?

Nine days and counting!

Paul, 

I have reviewed the Ops Plans put out by Ed and it is very well thought out.  Things should run smoothly from Alna Center to TOM to EOT with the ferry train bringing up late comers, food, supplies in case of breakdowns, etc.  I also am looking forward to the upcoming SWW activities.  It should be fun for all and a memorable event, just like the previous FWW.

B2

Joe Fox

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2019, 11:44:46 PM »
Everyone is excited for SWW however please lets keep SAFETY in our minds at all times. I know we always do, and we have a great safety record, but lets not be too carefull. Lots of ballast to shovel, and with the improved shuttle service will hopefully allow it all to be ballasted. Each morning we will go over the basics, including being carefull on the west (downhill) side of the tracks. Some areas it could be a long way to the bottom of the hill.

As such, measures are being taken to avoid crews on the ground on the west side near tight spots when possible.

Look forward to seeing everyone in just over a week. :)

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2019, 06:45:11 AM »
Wise comments Joe.

ALAIN DELASSUS

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2019, 06:58:39 AM »
Hello Bill, your ballast chutes look great and I'm sure they are going to operate very well and spare the track crew quite a lot of aches and pains. I was an AMTP track crew member for decades and when I was getting on 50, the critical age, I really appreciate the just retired new AMTP trackcrew manager that made a wheelbarrow to carry the ties from the flatcar or the pile to  their very place and a portative  crane set on the flatcar to load and unload the heavy gas engine powered  machine used to screw or unscrew the coachscrews used to fix the rail onto the ties.  His motto was" No use toiling when you can do otherwise". I'm sure that every trackcrew member will thank you a lot for sparing their back at the end of the SWW. Have a nice Easter weekend.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2019, 06:10:40 AM »

Most of the shovels that we have, ready to be put to use this weekend.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...