Author Topic: November 2018 Work Report  (Read 14308 times)

James Patten

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
Re: November 2018 Work Report
« Reply #60 on: November 21, 2018, 12:04:41 PM »
Anticipated work for Saturday Nov 24:

* Track: We need to retrieve the two flatcars from Sheepscot Mills and bring them back to Sheepscot Station, and prep 118 for stone (stakes, boards, etc). Perhaps we can even get stone from Alna Center, if someone is willing to drive the tractor up there.  If we can get stone, then we should unload it over the new switch, and over the lifted track south of Sutter's Crossing so that the speed restriction can get lifted.  Load up the flatcar with our reject rail and old frogs from Davis grade and deliver.
* Machine shop

Not sure what else there is.  At some point it will be time to start cutting trees, but maybe not until after Christmas.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 05:09:04 PM by James Patten »

Jason M Lamontagne

• Operating Volunteers
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 21, 2018, 03:08:43 PM »
It may be too tough on the tractor clutch to load our own (maybe frozen) stone.  Brian has offered to load our car with his contractor’s excavator next week, so don’t push too hard on that front.

But: there’s a pile of reject rail we are gifting to ML&M that can be loaded onto flat 118 and delivered, along with 2 junk frogs at Davis which also go to ML&M.

Flat can be left in the same position you find it.

Thanks,
Jason

Paul Uhland

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 21, 2018, 05:07:53 PM »
How's insulating/heating the shop coming?

Happy Thanksgiving.
Paul Uhland

Paul Uhland

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 21, 2018, 08:45:24 PM »
Unless youz guys have set a shorter timeline, I'd say take a holiday timeout til Monday.
You've done a mountain of work.
Again, Happy Thanksgiving, Champs!!
Paul Uhland

James Patten

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 24, 2018, 11:07:39 PM »
Work done Saturday Nov 24:

* Switching: In the morning we traveled to Sheepscot Mills, cleaning out the crossings as we went.  We retrieved the two flats and brought them back to the North Yard.  In the afternoon we traveled the length of the line, cleaning crossings also.  When we got back, we brought 67 over to the car shop, which required switching pretty much everything outside around.
* Fred: sharpened chain saws.

To report on the shop heat: Jason acquired 2 coal stoves over the weekend, and the piping for exhaust has been acquired.  I think stoves and piping will be installed this week.

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 25, 2018, 04:37:14 AM »
As James noted, a crew of five (Ken Berlo, Dave Buczkowski, Al Michelis, James Patten and I) spent a good portion of the day clearing the line and picking up the two flats at Sheepscot Mills.  A few photos...

Locomotive #52's brake shoes were frozen early on, so it took a bit of time to get out on the line.  At 9.57 a.m., we see Ken, Dave, James (engineer) and Al after Jayne's Way crossing had been cleaned and #52 had passed over.

Dave, James and Ken clean Brook Crossing, 10.03 a.m.

Al, James, Ken and Dave clean Sutter's Crossing, 10.19 a.m.  We were lifting, leveling and tamping the track just south of this crossing three weeks ago, a bit hard to believe now.

Dave, James, Al and Ken clean the Sheepscot Mills crossing, 10.28 a.m.  Not very clear in this photo is the grading work for the Maine Locomotive and Machine Works siding that was actively underway today in the background.  The immediate goal this morning was to pick up the two flatcars for return to Sheepscot, so they can be loaded with track material for the siding.

The two flatcars were returned to Sheepscot just before lunch.

Immediately after lunch, we spent time clearing the rest of the crossings to Top of the Mountain.  A private charter (railroad retirement party) is booked for next Saturday.  Here's the view of cleaning Trask's Crossing at 12.21 p.m.

A two-for-one sale!  Here we enjoyed cleaning two tracks for Averill Road Crossing at Alna Center station.

Cleaning the logging crossing just north of Albee's field at 12.50 p.m.

Cleaning Rosewood Crossing, 12.55 p.m.

We then ran the rest of the line to Top of the Mountain, before returning south.  At Sheepscot Mills, we stopped to take photos of the grading work for the siding completed today.  1.08 p.m. view.  James has a better photo here.

Close-up view of the grading work today near the switch.  The ground hasn't frozen yet.

After returning to Sheepscot we spent 1-1/2 to 2 hours switching cars around in Sheepscot, perhaps most notably to get B&SR boxcar #67 into shop bay 2 for more completion work.  #52 was put away for the day around 3.30 p.m.
What–me worry?

Jason M Lamontagne

• Operating Volunteers
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 25, 2018, 11:03:36 AM »
Thanks for putting in a long, tough day, guys!

Fred Morse

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 25, 2018, 02:12:36 PM »
I put a new chain on one saw and a very good chain on the other, Should be ready for cutting and burning at the North end before the snow gets to deep!

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 25, 2018, 02:59:17 PM »
Nice photos, Bill. It looked like there was more pondering going on at Alna Center than cleaning. ::)

Jeff S.
Hey Rocky, watch me pull a moose trout out of my hat.

Dave Buczkowski

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 25, 2018, 06:20:47 PM »
Jeff;
Just admiring our hard work and the nice day.
Dave

James Patten

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 25, 2018, 07:58:54 PM »
Alna Center crossings were blessed with getting packed down by snow mobilers.  I'm standing there trying to remember why I do this every winter.

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 26, 2018, 02:48:25 PM »
Dave and James - Great comebacks. Gave me a long chuckle. :)

Jeff S.

Jason M Lamontagne

• Operating Volunteers
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 26, 2018, 09:47:22 PM »
Tuesday prep and shop work.  Wednesday help Brian build his track using our crane system.

Bad headache now so I’m brief...

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 26, 2018, 10:37:09 PM »
Looking forward to seeing the results of Wednesday's work.

Jeff S.

Steve Smith

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 27, 2018, 05:04:02 AM »
I'm trying to remember whether there was ever discussion re blasting flangeway ice out with steam. Anybody recall such?