Author Topic: November 2018 Work Report  (Read 11506 times)

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
Re: November 2018 Work Report
« Reply #75 on: November 27, 2018, 12:16:13 PM »
I remember an old picture from the Reading RR.  They had an old tamper that they converted into a propane-fired "flame box " mounted where the vibrator assembly would normally be.  This could still be raised/lowered on the boom like a regular tamper.  It normally was used for weed control on branch lines and yards but was also used in winter to clear crossings.  What a steam cloud it would create but boy could it melt crossings fast!
Moxie Bootlegger

Joe Fox

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 27, 2018, 04:43:29 PM »
#9 can be equiped with a steam nozzle for the flange ways, however it only works when we use #9. We talked about making one that could run off of air as well that could aide in blowing dirt, snow, or chipped ice out of the flange ways.
Track laborer, roadmaster, general laborer, and much more.

Steve Smith

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 02, 2018, 07:59:36 PM »
This discussion just reminded me of an aircraft jet engine that Contrail Conrail rigged to blast ice and snow from track. I saw it in action one winter during the years (1972-2004) my wife and I lived in Richmond MA in a house about 400-500 feet west of, and about 25 feet higher than, Conrail's Boston MA to Selkirk NY line (ex Boston and Albany). It came through after a particularly bad blizzard, and I heard it approaching from a long way off, thinking,"What in tarnation is that?! Boy, did that thing send snow and ice chunks flying! You didn't want to be anywhere near it.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 09:40:20 PM by Ed Lecuyer »

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 02, 2018, 09:22:22 PM »
I don't know about you, but I quickly caught the "double entendre" of Contrail with jet-engine snow blower.  Unintended humor was appreciated......
Moxie Bootlegger

Bill Sample

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 05, 2018, 02:20:55 AM »
To add to what Steve Smith said, those "snow jets" were great at launching ballast stones as well as snow and ice.  I heard stories of car and truck windows being damaged in the Hartford CT yard.