Author Topic: Spur(s) to/at ML&M at Sheepscot Mills  (Read 17308 times)

Jason M Lamontagne

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
Re: Spur(s) to/at ML&M at Sheepscot Mills
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2018, 07:51:52 PM »
Honestly, given the development of ML&M (which began well after we built through and planned the east side siding), I believe a siding on the west side makes worlds more sense.  This keeps us at one main line switch, and allows more fluent switching of ML&M.  While the east side has been graded, grading of the west side is a simple matter and Brian would probably be willing to do that for us. 

A second main line switch and second siding, whereby the main must be accessed to switch them both, and we’re toying with another set of yard limits.  A single main line switch cleanly avoids that.

The idea of a west side stub end spur has been occurring to me for some time- but I figured first things first.  I do rather think a siding on the east side would be a wasted opportunity at this point.

See ya
Jason

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2018, 08:17:00 PM »
Thanks Jason.  Not suggesting an east side siding is worthwhile at this point -- just remembering past history.  Glad to see the focus is now on a west side siding for ML&M.
What–me worry?

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2018, 08:35:12 PM »
Well, certainly, if you put it that way. A single switch off the main track, with another switch on the siding to allow for a parallel storage track, as well as access to ML&M, makes better sense. And I still think a single-end siding at this location is better than a double-ended one, for safety reasons.

Dwight Winkley

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2018, 09:45:49 PM »
To Paul and other readers. We are now talking about building more than one track. A south facing spur track on the west side of the ROW that would go to Brain's shop.

Years ago on the east side of the Row, the Row was widened for a passing track. This was never built.

Now we are talking about building a track (not sure if it will be a siding or spur) on the west side of the Row. This west track would start off of the spur into Brain's shop.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 09:48:09 PM by Dwight Winkley »

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2018, 10:15:02 PM »
if the two switches (main line switch and ML&M switch) were separated by at least one car length it would allow Brian the ability (with proper dispatch orders which would include our temporarily relocating any stored rolling stock) to, when necessary, pass thru the derail to the siding (without fowling the main) and use the siding to exercise locomotives that he repairs.

Just a thought.
~ B2 ~ Wascally Wabbit & Gofer ~

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2018, 06:42:54 AM »
The problem with a parallel storage track on the West side is the visibility at the crossing may be reduced by stored cars/equipment. One switch mainline switch may make more sense, but not always. The East location is far enough South from the crossing that visibility would not be a concern.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 06:44:28 AM by Mike Fox »
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2018, 09:04:25 AM »
A spur at ML&M, another Bridgton boxcar on site - you guys are making it tempting to come up for Victorian Christmas.

Jeff S.
Hey Rocky, watch me pull a moose trout out of my hat.

Joe Fox

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2018, 09:38:00 AM »
Preferably the main line stays as original as possible. If we want to store cars, we could always use the Woods Track to store cars on. Especially sinceit is used so infrequently unless we have a car coming in or going out. Switches and track are costly to maintain, and we currently have switches already waiting for attention. Until we get a designated trak crew 1 day a week at minimum I personally am against any additional switches to maintain or track to maintain besides what we already have planned.

Lets fix and maintain what we have first, then talk about adding "spare" tracks that are more of a desire than a need. The ML&M spur is a definate need, and I understand that. A siding at Sheepscot for 4 wheeled cars, and engines would be benificial as well and getting to be a must. Anything beyond that should wait for track maintenance machines.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 09:46:10 AM by Joe Fox »

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2018, 09:52:20 AM »
Preferably the main line stays as original as possible.

In at least one of the WW&F history books, mention is made of a siding somewhere between Alna Center and Sheepscot that was used for lumber operations. I think it was somewhat temporary. I do not know if the location of this siding has ever been ascertained (or confirmed.) I like to think that it was somewhere near Sheepscot Mills.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Joe Fox

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2018, 09:57:28 AM »
The sawmill was off loaded at Alna Center or planned to be off loaded but never transpired if memory serves correctly. (Referring to Two Feet to Tidewater)

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2018, 10:37:52 AM »
It was a "stolen" saw mill. Eventually returned.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2018, 10:43:04 AM »
My understanding is that the "stolen sawmill at Alna Center" is completely separate from the temporary siding used for lumber operations somewhere near Sheepscot Mills.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Dana Deering

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2018, 01:18:10 PM »
Hi Everyone,

Whatever is decided about location and number of sidings at Sheepscot Mills, would someone make sure that when a date is decided upon for the actual work that some advance notice gets out so that I, and others, can plan to be there?  Unless this is another weekday crew project, in which case those of us who still work during the week can't make it.  Sometimes things happen quickly or on the down low and only a few hear about it.  I was on vacation the week the crew went to Portland to get the boxcars ready for transport and could have helped out (and it is only about 14 miles from home) if I had known it was happening.  Thanks!

Dana

And yes, I know, if I had a cell phone... :)

Joe Fox

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2018, 02:37:19 PM »
Some of the work will be a week day project, but some could happen on a weekend. Slightly off topic but is there interest from the Albion goers to do a Sheepscot work day instead? If so I will coordinate, but most likely unable to attend.

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2018, 07:03:50 PM »
Some of the work will be a week day project, but some could happen on a weekend. Slightly off topic but is there interest from the Albion goers to do a Sheepscot work day instead? If so I will coordinate, but most likely unable to attend.
By now all the local folks have received their WW&F Newsletters complete with some beautiful color photos (thanks to Stewart, Brendan, and Mike S). It advertises an "Albion Day" on November 3rd, as printing was already in progress when the cancellation occurred. I'm hoping that "Albion goers" actually go....