Author Topic: SD Warren Tank Engine  (Read 57882 times)

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
SD Warren Tank Engine
« on: December 21, 2008, 06:32:40 PM »
MODERATORS NOTE:
SD Warren Tank Engine has been converted from the pre-July 2008 WW&F Discussion Forum.
Some formatting may have been removed or modified from the original postings that appear quoted in this topic.
Information contained within this post may be superseded by more recent postings and conversations.

Mike Fox wrote:
I just found a photo in a book of one of the SD Warren Locomotives under steam in the Book "In Quest of Maine Narrow Gauge". The photo was taken in 1939.I had seen the pic before but thought it was worth mentioning. By the looks of it, it is the one under the nice roof they built a few years back.
Mike

Dana Deering replied:
Mike,
I have an SD Warren co. newsletter that has a lengthy article about the mills 2 footers with lots of photos.  It was given to me by the last fireman on the mill RR, Jim Golden.  I used to visit him when he was in a Gorham nursing home where my then girlfriend worked.  He was in his 90s and was sharp as a tack and had a great Irish accent and wit.  If you ever want to see the newsletter just let me know.
Dana

mikechoochoo replied:
Any plans to restore one of these to operation? I don't know of any small 2 foot gauge American built locos in operation. These are a lot smaller than the other surviving Maine loco's that still exist. The European ones of similiar size are nice locomotives but they look European! I have seen them close up and they are mostly complete, the missing parts could be fabricated and Boothbay has the code stamp for a new boiler.
Any opinons?
Mikechoochoo
P.S. Yes I would donate something if a fund for the restoration was set up

MikeW replied:
I've looked these over carefully and photographed them.  In my opinion they are in very poor shape and would require too much work to rebuild.

mikechoochoo replied:
Well they look a lot better than the traction engine that was pulled out of a river in Kansas. It should be under steam this summer. Look at that old Rogers in New Zealand. I know if I could find a frame, wheels, and cylinders from a small loco I would rebuiild it!

steamfan95 replied:
Hi! this is my first post :D I think that the 2 engines would be very worth restoring. Look at the condition combine #14 was when edaville saved it. It was sway-bellied! Rember the condition our own boxcar #309 was in? Rember how much Albion Station was leaning? We thought hurricane bob would blow it over. How will our children feel if these two pieces of history were scrapped? I think we should perswade boothbay to restore one of them to operating condition once there third german tank is restored. If we save these locomotives, one fully and the other cosmeticly, we will change future generations expressions from  :(  to :) .
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Matthew Martin

• Gandy Dancer
    • View Profile
Re: SD Warren Tank Engine
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2008, 07:36:41 PM »
I was steamfan95 on the old forum. What do you think of my idea?

Mike the Choochoo Nix

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2008, 10:17:28 PM »
While I'd like to see one of them restored to operation, the very reason I would like to see that is also the reason that it's unlikely. That reason is that they are small, I believe quite abit smaller than the European locomotives that Boothbay uses. That being the case they would have no real use at the Boothbay Museum. Maybe someone from Boothbay could confirm that they are a lot smaller as I suspect.
An independent group using them as a pattern for a replica would be an option, but most of us have our hands full right now one way or another.

Mike Nix
Mike Nix

Vincent "Lightning" LeRow

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2008, 11:39:42 AM »
If they are small, that would make them great switchers!  Nothing screams historical like a small switching loco building a train for the maineline steamer to pick up.
A spike saved is a spike earned.

Stephen Hussar

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2008, 03:20:11 PM »
There has been "talk" by some of the folks at Boothbay about restoring one of these...someday. I'm certain it's way down on their list of priorities, however.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2008, 05:27:11 PM »
Though I haven't looked them over thoroughly, the one under the shelter looks like it might need a lot of work. But that may just be cosmetic. Who knows what the inside looks like. Maybe one day Boothbay will have one chugging around their loop.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Paul Horky

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2008, 06:12:28 PM »
I'm sure if someone put up the dollars Boothbay Would gladly rebuild one or both engines.Thay have to pay bills too.

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2009, 08:13:29 AM »
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Vincent "Lightning" LeRow

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2009, 09:42:04 AM »
That engine looks hot with the smoke coming out of the stack.  He would have singed his wrist standing like that for too long.
A spike saved is a spike earned.

Tom Casper

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
    • Sandy Ridge & Clear Lake Ry.
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2009, 12:25:25 PM »
Sorry, I disagreee,  he is on the bracket for the light and would find it cool out there versis on the smoke box directly.  No singing is being prerformed in any shots of SD Warren!!! ;D

Tom C.
Later:
tom_srclry_com

Keith Taylor

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2009, 02:47:52 PM »
Phew....S.D. Warren put really ugly cabs on their locomotives! Particularly when you compare them to the beautiful wooden cabs Baldwin used when the locomotives were built. I think this looks like a job for Marcel!
Keith

Keith Taylor

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2009, 03:05:32 PM »
Here is what the S.D. Warren locomotive "could" look like with a proper cab!
Keith

Dana Deering

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2009, 07:30:22 AM »
Keith,

That little loco is a beauty.  Wish I had one in my backyard.  Where is that one located?

I wonder how much info Sappi has about the old SDW 2 footer.  That old newsletter I have wouuld make a good basis for a book.

Keith Taylor

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2009, 11:46:30 AM »
Dana,
The little Baldwin is actually 3' gauge and it lives on a back yard private railroad in the San Francisco area.
The owner trucks the little 0-4-2 saddle tanker to various enthusiast events.
I think this little rascal would look mighty fine in any of our backyards!
Keith

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2009, 11:59:49 AM »
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum