Author Topic: October 2018 Work reports  (Read 67811 times)

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
Re: October 2018 Work reports
« Reply #120 on: October 24, 2018, 05:01:38 PM »
The plan was to have 9 to cover the passenger trains so the 52 was free to move the flat car down the Mountain. Without the ability to move the flat, or to have a car for workers to ride in, it is just easier to cancel. I really want the help picking up the wood as we chip the brush.

Plus there is talk of a storm, probably in the afternoon Saturday.

Working on a new date. Tentatively November 10th. I am planning on not being around next Saturday (3rd), but if someone wanted to run down the mountain with a flat car and pick up some, that would be greatly appreciated. As long as the flat was emptied before the 10th.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Carl G. Soderstrom

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Looking for 2' NG knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 24, 2018, 10:32:43 PM »
Beware Ticks! Use repellent.

A Museum member is down with tick-borne  ehrlichiosis, which is being treated with antibiotics. 

His sister described it as Lyme's Disease on steroids.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 10:50:07 PM by Carl Soderstrom »

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 25, 2018, 04:57:47 PM »
I am planning on not being around next Saturday (3rd), but if someone wanted to run down the mountain with a flat car and pick up some, that would be greatly appreciated. As long as the flat was emptied before the 10th.

Hi Mike,

What needs to be picked up, versus that that will be chipped?  The silt fencing that's still in place?  Otherwise, the gantry train picked up a lot on the Sunday of work weekend, and I understand Dana's crew cleaned up a lot that Monday.

I expect to be in Sheepscot on the 3rd, so I can join a clean up train crew, if we have an engineer that day.
What–me worry?

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 25, 2018, 05:13:33 PM »
I may get the silt fence this weekend, but I am mainly talking about the wood. I am not sure how much could get done before train time. A lot is mixed with the brush, and figured we could pick up and chip at the same time to prevent handling the brush for a 3rd and 4th time.

We will not be cutting trees and leaving the brush piled this winter. The brush will be taken care of the same day it is cut. I had to move lots of the brush myself to get the work done this summer.

So, we are now planning November 10th. We will be starting part way down the mountain, cleaning up trees that blew over a year ago. Chip the brush and pick up the wood back to the tree line. Then skip over the Fossel Access road, because we will pile and burn that, then continue picking and chipping. Hoping we can make location 9 in one day. If not, we may do another day late November or early December, depending on crew and equipment.

Mike

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 25, 2018, 05:54:10 PM »
In terms of cut wood, I don't remember what's present that's hardwood.  I assume it's the hardwood we want to bring back for firing #9 and we'd leave any softwood in stacked piles along the right-of-way.

Thanks Mike.
What–me worry?

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 25, 2018, 06:01:21 PM »
Actually bringing it all back. Fred has a drop point for the soft wood. The only wood left will be the pine logs on the west side, south of the slide. I call it the Bobby C. pile. He can point that out while he is conductor and tell guests that "those are from the trees that were growing where the track is now.." You know you can hear him saying that. But I would like everything else picked up. Clean and neat is how I think it should look..
Mike

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 25, 2018, 06:16:52 PM »
Of course.  I forgot that Fred has his ways.  Yes, clean and neat is absolutely how it should look.
What–me worry?

Mike the Choochoo Nix

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 25, 2018, 07:48:53 PM »
Just curious what do you call soft wood and what hard wood, some consider anything that loses it's leaves hard, but some only count oak,elm,walnut and such as hard. I like some of the softer hard wood  like poplars, basswood and birch for heating because they give up their heat quicker.
Mike Nix
Mike Nix

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 26, 2018, 05:46:21 AM »
Well we also have soft hardwood and a hard softwood in Maine.

Hardwood around here is the .maple, oak, beech, birch and ash. The soft hardwood is poplar.

Softwood would be the pine, hemlock, spruce and fir. The hard softwood, which I haven't seen in the Alna area, is the Norway Pine, or Red Pine. The wood is harder than your average softwood. I have a few around my house.
Mike

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 27, 2018, 02:41:02 PM »
Work done on Saturday Oct 27:

* Parking lot clean up: Fred put the chain saw to use cutting up junk wood to load the truck and send it up the street.  He got in 2 loads.  It made a medium sized dent in the pile.
* Landscaping: Mike was moving dirt around by the Woods track/storage box, setting up the pad to be able to remove the gantry crane and place it.
* Last runs of the season: Two trains went out, the 10:30 and noon.  Rain had started by the noon one.  Good number of people for a cold day.  We put the coach away at the end of the noon run and hoped that nobody showed up for the 1:30 (nobody did).
* Pavilion materials: A bunch of braces and edging from the pavilion were in Fred's truck this morning.  They are now in the storage container.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 27, 2018, 03:07:38 PM »
Fred and Al doing the screw sorting for the Pavillion. Perfect rainy day project

Shortly after the picture Fred had to stop and look up. His eves were going screwy..could not focus
« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 03:09:46 PM by Mike Fox »
Mike

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 27, 2018, 06:57:47 PM »
I did not recognize Fred with the glasses. He looks studious.

Jeff S.
Hey Rocky, watch me pull a moose trout out of my hat.

Fred Morse

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 28, 2018, 02:02:08 PM »
Slowly cleaning up the parking lot of old ties and junk wood from building bridge. Only doing it on Sat.  right now, but it will be done before Christmas trains and new ties and benches put where they belong. Hope we can get some gravel on our newly cleared parking lot so we can use it this year.

Marcel Levesque

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 29, 2018, 02:23:38 PM »
Hmmmmm.......looks like a bucket brigade to me.

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 29, 2018, 02:31:58 PM »
Is it the Bucket Brigade or just a couple of guys working their Bucket List?  We wait with baited moose-breath!   :o
Moxie Bootlegger