Author Topic: Fall Work Weekend 2018  (Read 54357 times)

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
Re: Fall Work Weekend 2018
« Reply #75 on: October 05, 2018, 06:37:57 PM »
560 feet of track today.
The Percival porch is well along.
Alan was working a crew in the new machine shop but on what I don't know.

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 05, 2018, 06:41:21 PM »
Disregard my track question -- I see that was discussed outside this Fall Work Weekend thread, in the October 2018 Work Planning thread, plus James just posted a reply here.  From James in the other thread:

"FWW Day 1 (Friday), Track crew report:

"I think we can all agree that the crane system is a success.  There were two cycles of track laying, as the train went back at noon for a reload.  It took about 2.5 hours to put down a train's load of ties and rail.  Sorry, but I can't remember how much that is!  The end of track at the end of the day today was at the former slide location.

"I can't report about the rest of the campus as I had to head straight home once I got back."

Glad the crane system has worked out well!
What–me worry?

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 05, 2018, 06:49:46 PM »
Other work done today included the framing and deck for the back door. Steps and hand rails to go,
Started clearing trees for the parking lot expansion.,
Moving the ceiling braces in bay 3 and fabricating hangers for the bridge crane,
Cooking lots of good food,
Shuttling people and materials to and from EOT (a moving target),
Some work in archives,
And I know some other things that I didn’t see or remember.
~ B2 ~ Wascally Wabbit & Gofer ~

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 05, 2018, 06:55:12 PM »
I must admit that I had some reservations with the gantry system originally but having been on-site and working under the new system I can safely say it was an unqualified success.  What was put together from bridge leftovers was awesome and would have Rube Goldberg beaming with pride.  I can see us doing even better tomorrow.

Track building was not the only thing going on.  There was a crew working the new deck on the Percival house,. A group cleaning up the parking lot,. And  others working in the shops and gift store.  kitchen crew was very busy with meals at Sheepscot and end of track.
Moxie Bootlegger

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 05, 2018, 07:04:22 PM »
Stewart has posted a nice set of photos documenting today's progress on the museum's Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/WWFRailway
What–me worry?

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 05, 2018, 07:55:59 PM »
Wow and double Wow!! Color me impressed with the day's track building.

Mike the Choochoo Nix

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 05, 2018, 08:08:00 PM »
Let's hope everything goes well, if you lay another 560 on saturday that leaves only 120 for sunday if my math is right. Great work!
Mike Nix
Mike Nix

Carl G. Soderstrom

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Looking for 2' NG knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 06, 2018, 12:26:18 AM »
Bob Holmes: ..."Except the chain falls, but Block and Tackle would have worked as well."...

Just looked up Chain Falls - they go back over 100 years.

I have a Chain Fall from the 1920's - maybe not from the time of the original rail lay but not long after.
Mine is a Differential Hoist - it has 1 chain and 2 different sized pulleys on top.

This guy is a little long winded, so be prepared to skip ahead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXzGSB4i1UU 

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 06, 2018, 04:21:11 AM »
Jasons pictures from Friday.

Passing Alna Center

Albees Field

Passing Location 2 (Steve L on the flat)

Looking South from about the same location afterctrain passed.

Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Carl G. Soderstrom

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Looking for 2' NG knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 06, 2018, 03:15:32 PM »
Thanks Jason & Mike

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 06, 2018, 07:45:35 PM »
My pics from today.

Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Brendan Barry

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 06, 2018, 08:38:03 PM »
Clearing for the new parking lot west of the present lot.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 08:43:43 PM by Brendan Barry »
United Timber Bridge Workers, Local 1894, Alna, ME

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 07, 2018, 11:16:54 PM »
I was at our museum Saturday and Sunday and was a member of the work train crew both days.  Here are a few photos I took both days.  For reference, here's the map Ed Lecuyer had posted for the extension.  I hope Mike will correct any incorrect locations I have referenced below.

FWW day 2 - Saturday, October 6th:

At the end of the day Friday (FWW day 1), track had reached just north of location 4 - the slide.  Here's a view of the work train after it had arrived first thing Saturday, a little after 9 a.m.  A crisp, clear morning, with temperature in the 30s.

A view from the south end of the work train, where the spiking crew was getting to work.  The work train consisted of (north to south) yellow work car 1015, rail gantry flat car 126, flat car 118, locomotive 52, caboose 320, and yellow work car 1007.  Work car 1015 had joint bars, bolts, tools and other material for bolting the rail, while 1007 had spikes, tools and other material for the trailing spiking crew.

Turning 180 degrees and looking up the west side of the work train, we see the north end past the slide.

An east rail being placed.  The progression northward was placement of 14 ties (rail length was 28 feet), placement of the west rail, placement of the east rail, repeat.  On Saturday, Jason Lamontagne handled the joint bars with James Patten, while Rick Sisson watched for kinks.

The spiking crew soon reached location 4 -- the slide.

Now the pinch point -- location 6, looking north.  Others have commented how well the rail gantry has worked, and here is an example of how it has improved safety.  No rail handling now needed by a dozen+ volunteers lifting and carrying a rail northward along a narrow right-of-way.  In this view, a bundle of 14 ties has just been put down north of the train.

The 14 ties laid out, waiting for rail.  A volunteer has a piece of insta-track ready to hold the rail gauge, before the spiking crew can secure the rail.  Three insta-tracks were used to hold the gauge per 28-foot rail section.

A west rail being put into place.

The 10.30 a.m. passenger train brought lunch for the track crew.  Here it is arriving around 11.20 a.m.  Locomotive #9 backed open car 103 and coach 8 down the grade.  This is the first time #9 has reached the slide.

A view of the end of track at lunchtime Saturday.  I'm standing at location 8, looking southward.

After lunch, the work train returned to Sheepscot to pick up more rails and ties.  Two 10-rail layers were loaded on flat car 118, while enough ties for the 280-feet of track were loaded on the rail gantry car 126.  This is two-thirds capacity for both cars.

Upon return, the south end of the work train was at the pinch point.

Are we having fun yet?  The work train crew enjoyed a bit of hurry up and wait as the day progressed.  Jonathan St. Mary was Saturday's engineer; Bill Baskerville was Sunday's engineer.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

FWW Day 3 - Sunday, October 7th:

Over the past 17 years I been fortunate enough to volunteer at the museum, I seen many striking scenes.  This one is among the tops:  the south view from the work train as we approached the end of track first thing Sunday morning.

Dana Deering and Joe Fox discuss the day's plans with the spiking crew.

Turning 180 degrees to the north, a photo of the work train on the curve at location 8 to location 9.  This is a sharp curve, though I am told not quite as sharp as the north end of cock-eye curve.

This view looking north toward the spikers and the work train train gives a bit better perspective of the curve.

Ties being lowered at location 9 -- the second 48" culvert site.

The last rail being placed for this fall's mountain track extension.  This was around 10.35 a.m.

#9's 10.30 train again delivered lunch.

Volunteers watch as #9 and her train prepare to leave for the southbound journey back to Sheepscot.

Volunteers enjoy a well-deserved lunch break in the Maine woods.

After lunch, our work train was in the way of spikers, so we proceeded south, cleaning up the right-of-way as we progressed of rejected ties, no longer needed silt fencing, unused culvert and other material.  We also dropped a few replacement ties.  Here our train has stopped at the construction road entrance, near the former end of track.

We spent a good bit of time putting road fabric down underneath the first 150 feet of track that had been laid the past week as a proof-of-concept for the rail gantry.  Once that was done, our train picked up a lot of material left behind from the location 1 washout repair, before proceeding up the Top of the Mountain.

Here are a few late Sunday scenes at Sheepscot.
First, not necessarily work done this weekend, but while the flat cars were in work train service, the removable benches were cleaned up and stained.

Progress on the parking lot expansion.

Progress on the Percival House front deck and future stairs.

The conduits has been placed and backfilled between the shop building, Percival House, and planned electrical distribution building.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I hope the above gives some sense of the accomplishments so far this weekend.  A couple of items worth noting:
--  We had over 100 volunteers sign in on Saturday.  I believe that's a first time for our museum.
--  1420 feet of track was built this weekend.

I know I enjoyed seeing many old and new friends this weekend, including a member of the Sandy River & Rangeley Lakes museum I hadn't seen in nearly 30 years.  All in all an amazing weekend.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 11:23:40 PM by Bill Reidy »
What–me worry?

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 08, 2018, 06:22:57 AM »
Thanks for that very complete and comprehensive report on the FWW activities, Bill. It's greatly appreciated by those of us who could not participate.

Joe Fox

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 08, 2018, 06:43:55 AM »
Very impressive work, and a job well done to everyone.

Thank you to all who helped make this a great weekend. Talk about a year for the history books.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 06:50:01 AM by Joe Fox »