Author Topic: World War I event at Moseley Railway Trust  (Read 493 times)

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
World War I event at Moseley Railway Trust
« on: August 18, 2018, 12:29:11 PM »
Here's a small album of photos of a recent World War I event at the Moseley Railway Trust. The all-black 4-6-0 that appears in a couple of photos is a Baldwin 4-6-0T, and the motor car in the first view looks an awfully lot like a Fairmont.

http://www.avlr.org.uk/2018/07/tracks-to-the-trenches-retrospective.html

John L Dobson

• Museum Member
  • Brakeman
    • View Profile
Re: World War I event at Moseley Railway Trust
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2018, 02:27:46 PM »
The 'motor cars' in the first view are all ex-WW1 US Army 'speeders' made by Fairbanks-Morse. I think one of them (the one on the right) is the Ffestiniog Railway's 'Busta', which had a long and somewhat disreputable history before being restored to its original state. At one point it was rebuilt with an engine liberated from a saw bench, and married to a gearbox from a motorcycle, it was lethally fast (reputed capable of crossing the ¾-mile Cob in less than a minute from a push-start) and had no brakes to speak of… Stopping was achieved by switching off the engine – and bailing out if it was about to hit something! The black engine in the final frame is an ex-WW1 Hunslet 4-6-0T, the British equivalent of the Baldwin. Hunslet made 75 of them but were a smallish firm not geared up for production-line assembly, hence the Baldwin order when the War Department Light Railways people wanted to expand their battlefield network in short order.  The grey engine is, I believe, a German 'Brigadelok' 0-8-0T. The green loco in the second frame is a McEwan-Pratt petrol-mechanical 0-4-0, also ex-WW1 but superseded in service by the much more reliable 20hp Simplex petrol 'tractor' (see middle left in frame 4).
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 02:43:23 PM by John L Dobson »
John L Dobson
Editor, FR Magazine

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2018, 03:03:18 PM »
Thank you for the corrections and updates, John. That clip was passed along to me with no identifications, so I used my "best guess" feature, which apparently wasn't good enough.

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2018, 03:18:35 PM »
In my defense, there appear to be two nearly identical 4-6-0T's in the photos. I say nearly identical, because if one compares the domes, it will be noted that one loco has typical "europen domes, while the other has very obviously Baldwin-style domes. Also, No. 303 has a European single dog smokebox door, while the other loco features multiple dogs, a more American arrangement. The fifth photo in this group shows the two engines side by side.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 03:21:55 PM by Wayne Laepple »