Author Topic: 2018 Operating Schedule  (Read 735 times)

Stephen Piwowarski

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
2018 Operating Schedule
« on: July 08, 2018, 08:25:15 PM »
Visitor count today was 56 with 6 on pass, so 50 paying passengers. When combined with yesterday that makes for over 200 for the weekend- a good weekend. Amazing Ice Cream Social- the games were great and people were having fun.

Steve

Joe Fox

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
Re: 2018 Operating Schedule
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2018, 09:33:04 PM »
We had dozens of first time visitors yesterday, with many newbies from Portland, Winthrop, and Augusta. The Portlanders were surprised to hear about our operational Portland Company equipment. I continue to urge the importance of our history of our Railway as well as the equipment to tell our visitors, almost everyone is happy to listen. Also another thing I may suggest, is finding ways to promote family fun on any operating day to help attract more families.
Track laborer, roadmaster, general laborer, and much more.

Stephen Piwowarski

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2018, 02:14:04 AM »
Likewise today- I'd say that about 30-40% were first time visitors. I think encouraging folks to bring picnics, hike, etc. will be key to further developing the regular operating days. Have to have enough to do at a station to justify them staying for an entire timetable cycle. On days with 1st class trains only that is approximately 1.5 hours. A bit long for a picnic or a short hike. We might need longer hikes and the mills at ToM along with the proposed trail at Alna Center to make it possible, or shorter headways between trains.

Steve

Joe Fox

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2018, 10:42:24 AM »
Could always go back to a different version of the schedule. 10, 11, 12:30, 1:30, 2:30, & 3.
Track laborer, roadmaster, general laborer, and much more.

Jason M Lamontagne

• Operating Volunteers
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2018, 12:57:01 PM »
There were a myriad of development ideas behind the current 4 train schedule.  To un-do it, I feel it would be regression to optimizing our train ride to best entertain visitors.

I strongly support the development of our regularly offered lineside destinations, along with the branding and marketing of same, and that we continue developing the overall message that we are restoring a period rail transportation service to the Sheepscot Valley.

We’ve also substantially lessened the burden on our volunteers, and nearly halved the use of our equipment, reducing wear, track burden, consumable use (coal), etc.  Our 4 train schedule still don’t involve crowded trains.

See ya
Jason
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 12:59:30 PM by Jason M Lamontagne »

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2018, 01:20:08 PM »
I totally support the present train schedule. I think operating a realistic train schedule is important. At the same time, I think it is equally imperative to further develop opportunities for passengers at Alna Center and Top of the Mountain. The Town of Alna's proposed walking trail to the meeting house comes to mind. Until we get the shingle mill/sawmill complex going at Top of the Mountain, we have to depend on our circular trail. I'm sure it could stand some clearing and improvements. Other ideas to occupy travelers up there are welcome.

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2018, 02:18:47 PM »
Actually, let's not forget that the current schedule also allows for trains at 10:55, 12:25, and 1:55. These are almost always annulled due to either lack of riders, or (usually) lack of crew. Over time, we can (and should) solve both of these issues, which make for a far more interesting railroad to visit, with frequent service to AC, TOM, and (eventually) Trout Brook Preserve.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Alex Harvilchuck

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2018, 04:02:15 PM »
I support Jason/Wayne/Ed's comments. Until we get to a point where the trains are full, stick to the current plan. Having the option to dispatch RC4 out after is a good overflow.
No sense beating up equipment when there are no riders.

Bob Holmes

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2018, 09:50:36 PM »
I'm totally with Jason about the current schedule and the challenge to develop fun reasons for folks to lay over to the next train back.  Sitting on a coach back and forth is ok enough, but it could be so much more special, especially with families with kids.

Remember also, they will be our future volunteers!