Author Topic: July 2018 Work Planning  (Read 35744 times)

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
Re: July 2018 Work Planning
« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2018, 05:08:33 PM »
Dave,

Was that you and HWMNBN on that crew?

Jeff S.

It was Dave, Rich, Bob and me on that crew.  I am embarrassed to say I did not get Rich and Bob's last name.  Rich has volunteered in the past, and I believe this was Bob's first visit.  They both did a great job and I hope they have the opportunity to visit us more often.  We had some good laughs yesterday at Trask's -- great guys!

Not to mention clearing vegetation around a crossing goes a lot faster when you have four people working each quadrant!
What–me worry?

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2018, 05:58:11 PM »
Rich Curry, involved at MNG (at least he was in the past).

Joe Fox

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2018, 07:04:05 PM »
Rich is a very great guy, and lots of experience in the railroad field. He has been involved with Conway Scenic, MNG, and many other operations and is full of knowledge. And what makes all that knowledge all the better is he will not say anything he knows unless asked. He as been a volunteer with us since 2006-2007 and hopes to be able to come join us more often. Rich was one of the guys at Conway that took me under his wing and showed me some things. We have been in contact, and we both hope to see him become a regular part of our core group of guys.

Dave Buczkowski

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 15, 2018, 10:00:51 PM »
I second HWMNBN and Joe’s comments. Rich and Bob dove right in with big smiles on their faces. I look forward to seeing them again soon.
Dave

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 18, 2018, 05:58:44 AM »
Anticipated work for weekend of July 21 - 22, 2018

* Bridge - assuming more preservative, more stain needed.  Plus there may need to be work at the bridge site.  And still more work on the temp bridge?
* Mountain Extension - stuff that Mike does, he may need help.
* Weed trimming
* Public operations - train, gift shop, tours
* Machine shop
* Track work
* Board meeting Saturday evening at 4:00 (postponed from last weekend).

Joe Fox

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 18, 2018, 06:12:36 AM »
Due to the extremely short track work window, track work (if any) will be tamping and jacking on Davis Grade. Tamper will be leaving between 6:30-7, and return to Sheepscot by 10:10. After if there are any extra hands we can do some brush and grass cutting along the ROW.

Track work and grass cutting will depend soley on how much help is on hand to fill the top priority projects.

Joe Fox

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 18, 2018, 04:55:46 PM »
Change of plans. If I tamp Saturday it will be after the last train. I will now arrive around 8 to get tools and brush cutters ready to reassemble track on the Mountain, and brush cut the mountain area. Depending on crew spirits, I would like to brush cut some other areas as well later in the day. The Mountain track work needs to be done Saturday, and we will need 4-5 guys to make it happen. Ideally I want someone to bring us up there before the first train.

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 18, 2018, 08:47:18 PM »
 Joe, et.al.,

My sweet wife saw that I was pining around the house looking for forelorn so she gave me a day early reprieve to head toward Maine.  I made it as far as NY state tonight. I will arrive early afternoon tomorrow, Thursday, if any late help is needed.

I stopped at the Pennsylvania Railroad Museum to pick up the four break pot castings and the number 10 Smokebox shim casting that Wayne and Bernie have fabricated.  I also have the shim mold and a couple of other parts for Jason.

My early arrived will also give me all day Friday to help with whatever is being done around the campus. If I know what time your planning on starting Saturday I can be there to give you run up
to the top of the mountain as long as I can return to be conductor on the first train.

Bill
~ B2 ~ Wascally Wabbit & Gofer ~

Jason M Lamontagne

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 19, 2018, 05:30:59 AM »
Hi Bill,

I’ve sent you a PM about this Saturday’s train.  Plz check it out before locking in too many plans Saturday morning.  You should have time to run Joe up anyway.

It’ll be great to have you early, and for the month!

See ya
Jason
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 05:48:37 AM by Jason M Lamontagne »

Joe Fox

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 21, 2018, 05:24:34 PM »
Thank you everyone for todays ROW efforts. Crew started out decent sized with 5 guys as we bolted the last 60' of track together, spike a few ties, and then brush cut the current built portion of the Mountain. After lunch, three of us went back out and cut the ROW from south of Humason to Trask crossing.

Didn't have much time to hang around the shop, but work continued uo north on the RoW repair, work on the temporary bridge spans, caboose cupola repair, and much more.

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 21, 2018, 06:26:26 PM »
I was there essentially only for the board meeting, but saw:

* Bridge: Zack is slightly over half done on putting ties over the timbers inside the bridge.  I saw that one of the large/long timbers had been dropped along with its outrigger post.
* Temporary bridge: Alan finished welding the last one today.  The first was finished earlier in the week and is sitting outside.
* Caboose: Marcel was working on the windows.  He'd hoped to try to figure out corner rods but didn't have the right drill bit with him.

Mass Bay RRE had a large group of guests visit the Railway today.

Fred Morse

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 22, 2018, 06:18:16 AM »
The 20 timbers in the yard finally received their 4th coat of preservative, and some was put on the outriggers that were taken off the bridge. Mike also placed another culvert.

Fred Morse

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 24, 2018, 02:36:45 PM »
Al. and I got One load of soft wood today,below EOT. Then got to hot.

Joe Fox

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 24, 2018, 07:30:01 PM »
John Stone and I went out and did more tamping on Davis Grade today. Track will hopefully be lined and dress ballasted next week or the week after if all goes well. I also hope to finish the section on Davis Grade by next week. Work continued at the shop on bridge prep, and crib work.

The more I see some of the behind the scenes planning, surveying, and thought process the more it is very apparent how fortunate we are to have such a wide range of talented individuals, and guys willing to be taught labor skills. Each week progress is made, and each week we are slightly closer to making our goal of reaching 218 a reality.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 24, 2018, 07:53:29 PM »

Joes pic
Mike
Doing way too much to list...