Author Topic: May 2018 Work Planning  (Read 3664 times)

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
Re: May 2018 Work Planning
« Reply #45 on: May 27, 2018, 02:27:38 AM »
A crew made up of Mark C, Steve L, Steve Z, HWMNBN and myself traveled all the way to Puddledock to assist the Alna Historical Society by removing shutters and moving large stage (not staging) pieces at the Puddledock School. It was all part of the WW&F Ry giving back to the community efforts. We were rewarded with still warm apple brownies which were shared with the Sheepscot crew at lunch.
Dave

A few photos from Puddledock, plus other photos of work done in Sheepscot today.  Sorry Alan -- I didn't get any photos of your work rearranging equipment in the shops.

I did some work in Sheepscot with signs and posters before arriving late at the 1874 Village School building in Puddledock.  I managed to catch a handful of end-of-work photos.

The removed shutters were placed in the shed behind the school building.  Steve Lennox is leaving the shed after the last of the shutters had been stored.  Note the shadow of a shutter on the school building.

Steve Zuppa looking from the shed.

The Alna Village School building in Puddledock.

At Sheepscot, Zack Wyllie built a concrete form for the landing of the second floor stairway on the Percival House.  Mike Fox excavated the hole to receive the form.  In this photo Mike is leveling the form as Zack looks on.

Fred used the tractor to bring in backfill for the form.

Zack and Dave Buczkowski backfill the form.

Meanwhile, Marcel Levesque worked on the window frames for caboose 320 in bay 3 of the shop building.

A damp, muggy day today, but not a washout.  Looked like there were passengers for each of the steam trains today.  Three of us who went to Alna Center on the 10.30 train to do some cleanup work there were very impressed with engineer Dana Deering.  Not a single wheel slip when he departed the station north on the grade there!

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 27, 2018, 03:02:22 AM »
A few photos from Puddledock...

I swear, you Mainers are in competition with the Brits for the cutest names of places.  Come my summer visit I am just going to have to visit Puddledock, just to say I have been there.

This makes me question, why would you need a dock for a puddle, much less a school? 

Maybe it is a Moxie thing.....
Wascally Wabbit

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 27, 2018, 01:13:39 PM »
The Alna school would make an interesting model. Looks like I may pay a visit when I come out in July.

Jeff S.
Hey Rocky, watch me pull a moose trout out of my hat.

James Patten

• Global Moderator
  • Trainmaster
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 27, 2018, 06:38:28 PM »
Any work planned for Monday 5/28 (Memorial Day)?

It sounds like nobody there on Saturday was planning to be there on Monday.

Paul Uhland

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 27, 2018, 09:21:59 PM »
Go ahead and take Monday off, youz guys...I think you all oined it.  ;) ;D
Paul Uhland

Paul Uhland

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 28, 2018, 04:27:56 PM »
And get somebody to paint the inside of the Puddledock school shed door. Looks awful while the building looks great.
Paul Uhland

Joe Fox

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 29, 2018, 12:28:22 AM »
Sometime this week I have high hopes of arriving extra early to go up the line to stake out a few dips that need ballast in order to be lifted, and or deciding on other areas that need stone on Davis Grade and remove some of the excess stone down by the rail pile. My overall plan this year for track work is to improve some dips that provide some serious rocking on the train, finish up ballasting and tamping on Davis Grade, and line track as time permits. If we can get all of these things done this year, next year we will actually be able to focus our attention on replacing ties.

Joe