Author Topic: March 2018 Work Planning  (Read 5070 times)

James Patten

• Global Moderator
  • Trainmaster
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
Re: March 2018 Work Planning
« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2018, 10:20:39 PM »
Work done on Saturday March 31:

* Ties: Fred cut 200 ties during the week, and he wanted more ties available for him to cut, so he had Mike start up the forklift and move some other ties piles around, including getting some frozen tie piles broken up some.
* Easter: The place was mobbed, although generally more controlled than in past years thanks to the reservations.  675 reservations were taken, some additional walk-up sales were made.  Things slowed down toward the end of the day.
* Presentation prep: Ed's employer MyTopo (plug plug) printed out some maps for us that Ed had drawn up (they looked great), so I went to Staples and found something to mount them on and spray adhesive to make them stick.  When I got back to Sheepscot I grabbed a new volunteer who was looking for something to do and had him help me mount them.  I printed out a few more of the applications, and found our tripods.

Incidentally (or not, I'm not really sure) B&SR #7 was in steam at Maine Locomotive & Machine.  I think it was a post FRA inspection steam up, for testing.  They used their whistle a few times, which sounds very different (deeper and more chords) than #9's.  I heard a few of them back at Sheepscot, and without realizing what was going on I didn't know what to make of it.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 02:18:21 AM by Ed Lecuyer »

Jason M Lamontagne

• Operating Volunteers
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2018, 11:12:51 PM »
Ridership 1050, plus or minus.  We were at capacity, given our present resources.

It was a good day.

Jason

Bob Holmes

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2018, 11:35:21 PM »
Great day!  The kids and families really enjoyed and appreciated the Easter egg gathering (not really a hunt).  The Golden Egg was found by all sorts of different searchers.  Success!

#7 was rolled out of its cocoon and steamed (apparently for the first time).  There was a large crowd there as well celebrating!  It's whistle could be heard up and down the Sheepscot Valley, and it's totally different from both No. 9 and No. 3

Dave Buczkowski

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 01, 2018, 01:57:03 AM »
The great WW&F volunteers outdid themselves (as usual) today!! As relay brakeman on the diesel crew I was able to observe both ends of the operation. It all worked seamlessly. Every person, adult and child, had a smile on their faces. Most thanked us and/or wished us a Happy Easter. A very big thank you to all who helped make this a success. There is a very big reason people visit us and leave smiling - it’s the WW&F Volunteers! You are the secret ingredient to the magic happening at Sheepscot.
Dave

ALAIN DELASSUS

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 01, 2018, 05:16:22 AM »
It's a real WOW !

Fred Morse

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 01, 2018, 03:12:42 PM »
I may have cut the tie ends off but the Tues. and Wed. crew did the stacking of them. I'm sure that was the hardest job. At least they will start drying out.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 01, 2018, 11:17:29 PM »
The next project for ROWMOW MFG departed Sheepscot yesterday..

Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 01, 2018, 11:23:34 PM »
The next project for ROWMOW MFG departed Sheepscot yesterday..

The wheels and angle iron make sense, but the snow shovel handle has me confused. What will it be :o???

Jeff S.
Hey Rocky, watch me pull a moose trout out of my hat.

James Patten

• Global Moderator
  • Trainmaster
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 01, 2018, 11:40:36 PM »
Must be regauging Peppersass.

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 02, 2018, 12:19:59 AM »
Oh this is easy.  Your watching Mike get set up for the next episode of Backyard Flanger on the DIY network!

Bill Piche

• Museum Member
  • Brakeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 02, 2018, 02:40:44 AM »
Incidentally (or not, I'm not really sure) B&SR #7 was in steam at Maine Locomotive & Machine.  I think it was a post FRA inspection steam up, for testing.  They used their whistle a few times, which sounds very different (deeper and more chords) than #9's.  I heard a few of them back at Sheepscot, and without realizing what was going on I didn't know what to make of it.

It wasn't originally planned to have B&SR 7 in steam while the Easter trains were happening, it just sort of worked out that way. We wanted to do the steam test 2 weeks ago but we weren't 100% ready with everything that we were wanting to test (for various reasons). As it was we were enjoying seeing the trains full of people going by while we were out there working. Helped to break up the more mundane parts of the day to take a break, see the train go by, and periodically answer back as the train was going through the crossing.
Engineer/Fireman, MNGRR
"Any day with steam is a good day." - me

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 02, 2018, 03:03:35 AM »
It was a very pleasant surprise to see #7 steamed up on the first trip northbound Saturday morning.  I was one of the brakemen on the steam train, and after that first trip northbound, I made a point to let passengers on open car #103 know to look out for #7, Brian Fanslau's ongoing restoration works in his shop there for Maine Narrow Gauge and other 2-foot operations, and that #7's appearance meant that she should soon be under steam in Portland at Maine Narrow Gauge.  Our passengers really enjoyed the sight and sound of her under steam.

Fred Morse

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 02, 2018, 02:35:40 PM »
It was an added treat for everyone. Good going!