Author Topic: April 2018 work planning  (Read 41347 times)

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
Re: April 2018 work planning
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2018, 08:15:28 PM »
My recollection is that there is (or was) a compromise joint in that area someplace....
-John M

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2018, 09:14:52 PM »
It appears to me that you have shifted the outside rail to allow for staggered joints in the curve, which would help avoid kinks. Am I correct?

Jason M Lamontagne

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2018, 09:26:49 PM »
Both of you are correct.  Our work today began at the comp joint, which was significantly stiffened during a repair a few years ago, without any further work on the comp joint itself today.  From there, the next rail was cut and leap frogged up 5 lengths.  We’re going to keep a  10 MPH speed restriction through there at least for now, maybe permanently.

See ya
Jason

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2018, 09:50:19 PM »
 Jay, sounds like a good idea on the speed restriction for cockeyed curve. That along with staggered joint bars should help keep the kinks from coming back in the curve.
~ B2 ~ Wascally Wabbit & Gofer ~

Joe Fox

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2018, 10:47:04 PM »
Yes. The kinks were fixed probably 5-6 years ago. 3 years ago these three spots were noticable, 2 years ago warranted a restriction, then last year we decided this repair was needed. And a look at it last Saturday was a decission to repair it now. In short, between what we did today, and the work we want to do to finish it up, the curve should not kink up again for quite awhile if at all. When we went back through there with the train at the end of the day, the result was incredible.

There are some other areas that could use the come-along treatment, and we may do that later this summer with a 2-3 man crew, and may even do the same thing seen here on Davis curve, at least from the crossing north where we religned that stretch 5-6 years ago. Once we get the tie machine functional I have the hope of having a crew of 4-5 changing ties once or twice a month.

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2018, 08:49:57 AM »
Is the tie machine not running properly?

Jeff S.
Hey Rocky, watch me pull a moose trout out of my hat.

Gordon Cook

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Board Member 2009-2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2018, 11:55:51 AM »
Thank you! Thank you!
One of the reasons I prefer to run 9 and 10 facing north was that those kinks were less of a problem with the engine pulling up the grade and curve. Heading south the tank truck does its thing nicely, leading the engine around the curve without the jolts.
When the Forney's are facing south, the weight of the train tends to push the engine into the kinks when drifting downgrade into the curve, which resulted in the engine harshly diving into the joints and making the kinks worse, not to mention causing a slight heart palpitation! I usually try to open the throttle a little there which reduces the shock.
As Joe mentioned, there's a couple more to fix.
Gawdon

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2018, 01:01:10 PM »
The front axle on the railcar thanks you.

Joe Fox

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2018, 07:08:49 PM »
Those who see it first hand, wait till you see it. It looks so much better. I can't wait to use our new method of lining more, either the way we did it Wednesday or with a new method that is in the works. I hope to fix the second half of the curve next month.

The tie changer is still in need of modification, however there is a simple idea to help make tie extraction or inserting easier by use of a ladder type design, courtesy of the Bucksgahda & Western. Instead of using just a lining bar, this design allows you to use a ladder hooked off a rail to move a tie in or out.

Paul Uhland

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2018, 10:25:13 AM »
I totally applaud all the WW&F improvements listed and underway, but  hope the scope of work does not discourage enough follow-through.
My health is declining, else I would join in.
Bravo to all the 'gandy dancer heroes' who contribute their time, labor, talent and travel dollars. Their efforts I'm sure are supremely appreciated! 
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 10:28:15 AM by Paul Uhland »
Paul Uhland

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2018, 07:16:24 PM »
Work done on Saturday April 14, 2018:

* Leave it to Beaver: Mike breached not one but 3 dams off the right of way south of Cross Rd, with one more dam out there that's a little hard to reach.
* Digging for Treasure: Mike also dug holes and placed the support columns for the new stairs outside of the house, which will be built at SWW.
* Blest Be the Ties That Bind: Fred did some more tie cutting and stacking, and Mike moved the pile with the forklift to near the North Yard.
* Tamper: Jay worked on the tamper, hooking up the hoses and getting the hydro pump hooked up too.
* Photos Galore: The first spring photo charter was today.
* Board meeting was this afternoon.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2018, 08:05:28 PM »
The worst of the dam damage.. Steve Z is looking at the dam pictured in the second photo.

Jason called and covered the bases with the Maine Warden Service, eventually talking with a biologist I believe. We were given instructions on how to encourage the beavers to move on. He was told to just remove a little of the dam early in the morning so the water drops gradually. This will need to be repeated all summer when needed, until trapping season this fall or winter, when ever it is, when a trapper can come remove them. Jason was told that a big removal of a large part of the dam would result in a quick drop in the water, and the beavers would think the dam was weak and build it twice as strong the next time.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2018, 08:30:44 PM »
Photos from the Percival house exterior stairways' preparation for spring work weekend have been posted in the April 2018 Work Weekend prep and work thread.

As usual, Mike had a busy day at our museum!
What–me worry?

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2018, 08:33:26 PM »
I have to say - those beavers worked awfully hard.  The northern-most dam was above the firepond but in the same depression as the pond.  The dam goes across the entire section, diagonally.  A fairly neat looking dam.  I can see the trees where they worked, too bad we can't train them to take down certain trees.  I wonder if there's something you can rub on a tree to attract them to gnaw it down?

Fred Morse

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2018, 07:21:06 AM »
400 ties have been cut and stacked so far this spring, there's about 200 left to do.