Author Topic: April 2018 work planning  (Read 10250 times)

Kevin Madore

• Baggageman
    • View Profile
Re: April 2018 work planning
« Reply #75 on: April 22, 2018, 11:29:05 AM »
In the photo, what in the world is Jason doing  ??? ??

Jeff S.

If I recall correctly, Jason was talking with the photographers.  Our group was working with Jason to coordinate photo positions.   We felt that if we could all move as a group from spot to spot, everyone would have better opportunities to get photos without other photographers in their frames.   That worked great.   

/Kevin Madore

Gordon Cook

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
  • Board Member 2009-2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 22, 2018, 01:03:18 PM »

Jeff S.

Jason was the photographer director, and they are off camera to the left (west) in that picture. I assume he was either directing or otherwise talking to the  photographers.
Gawdon

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 22, 2018, 03:40:29 PM »

Jeff S.
I suspect that he is directing the photographers somehow.
-John M

Paul Uhland

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 22, 2018, 03:44:57 PM »
Big Time does as BT is!!
Congrats, Cecil B DeMille Jason.  8)
Paul Uhland

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 22, 2018, 07:24:19 PM »
Sunday Funday.. With limited time to Get R Done, it was decided that Sunday morning was the only available time to get the grading done for the Spring work weekend.

Started off the morning moving the rest of the rail and pulling ties. Took me almost 2 hours to do that. Then set to work removing a cross culvert to lower it to improve drainage. I was supposed to ditch if I could, but did not have time. That can be done later.

Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Bob Holmes

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 22, 2018, 10:33:21 PM »
WOW! Compare Mike's pic to Joe's on the previous day.  Amazing.

Trust Mike to get the ditching done to prevent the problem in the future...

Joe Fox

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 23, 2018, 12:41:02 AM »
Someone asked on facebook if video was grabbed, but I dont know if any video was captured, so hear is how the sequence would be as follows. The ok to move the car ahead was given by the track boss, then the horse team and brakeman moved it ahead until the track boss said "thats good."  Next a crew of claw bars pulled spikes, a crew unbolted bolts as needed, a guy would beat the joint bars to knock them loose. Once all of that was completed, the track boss told the crew which rail to go for, everyone grabbed hold. Then the boss said "everybody ready, 1, 2, 3, lift. South." Once the rail was on the car the crew slid it into place, and went after the next rail for the same process. Then its all rinse and repeat. The crew did a fantastic job, and from start to finish we loaded all 16 rails in 75 minutes, or an average of 9.4 minutes between moving the car.

Each rail weighed in at around 500-540lbs. Plus joint bars, spikes, etc the final combined weight of the car was close to 6 tons.

Prior to all of this, some prep work was done to speed things up a bit more. My favorite line of the hole day was when Dave B said "My Joe you sound an awefull lot like Dana" in between shoving the rail on the flat car to which I replied in correct sequence as we moved our hands to slide the rail again, "Dana says North, I say... South" That gave everyone a good chuckle as we slid the rail south once more. A HUGE thank you to our dedicated crew, as I know track work is by no means an easy one.

In other news, I will be at the railroad 7:00a.m. Tuesday and Wednesday to do prep work for the work weekend. I am planning on a 10 to 10 & a 1/2 hour day Tuesday, and most Wednesday will hopefully be shorter, but I am doubtfull. There is much to do, and my railroad time during my vacation week is limited to 4 days.
Track laborer, roadmaster, general laborer, and much more.

Al Michelis

• Museum Member
  • Flagman
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 23, 2018, 01:21:29 PM »
Here is some video Eric Schade posted on YouTube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Og4clArzr5A

Jason M Lamontagne

• Operating Volunteers
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 23, 2018, 06:01:56 PM »
Week of April 23, 2018.  It will be a full one.

Bridge.  Install ice and water shield.  Install cross diagaonals (with Tim).  Host a videographer on Wednesday for a documentary. 

Mountain survey.  Rick will lay out a proposed series of curves through the Pinch Point on the Mountain. 

Prepare rail and joint bars for relaying on Davis grade (Joe, Tuesday).

Dig in a small french drain on rebuild area.

Pre-drill ties if time (Tuesday).

Lay out ties (Wednesday).

Prep tooling for tie changing (possibly digger, or tie removal "ladders").

Friday will be track laying day.

Dave Buczkowski

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 23, 2018, 06:21:20 PM »
"Pre-drill ties if time (Tuesday)."

As my friend Alain would say "Sacre bieu!. Mais non!" Say it ain't so Jason!
Dave
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 12:53:13 AM by Dave Buczkowski »

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 23, 2018, 06:51:28 PM »
For the uneducated on this forum, what is a tie removal "ladder"?

Jeff S.
Hey Rocky, watch me pull a moose trout out of my hat.

Joe Fox

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 23, 2018, 06:56:27 PM »
A tie ladder is something our friends at the Bucksghada & western 2' gauge railroad use in PA. It sits over the rail to allow better leverage fpr using a bar to remove a tie. Theres a series of runs to allow the bar to be loved as the tie progresses.
Track laborer, roadmaster, general laborer, and much more.

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 23, 2018, 07:49:45 PM »
I have used what Joe refers to as a "tie ladder," and it works quite well. The absolute most important thing, however, is that the lining bar used to move the tie have a sharp tip that really digs into the tie. Otherwise, the person using the bar must be very careful not to fall down!

It's also very helpful to "wake the tie up" by using a pick to loosen the ballast along both sides of the tie.

Alan Downey

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 23, 2018, 09:21:50 PM »
All,

Big changes are coming to the car shop this weekend! As James alluded to in the work update for last weekend, Kyle Irving-Moroz was helping develop a "final" layout for the new machine shop. Last fall the board approved a proposal to relocate the machine shop from the home it's occupied since Bay 4's construction, to Car Shop Extension. In place of the machine shop, all of the woodworking equipment will be pulled from the scattered and awkward locations throughout the building, and consolidated into Bay 4. We had a number of significant reasons for deciding to make this change, but to briefly summarize- this will put us in a far better position to perform the restoration and construction efforts of our wooden rail equipment, while also allowing the machine shop to B R E A T H E, and perform the work that we have already been doing more safely and efficiently. This move was going to happen in fits and starts, but as things often happen here- opportunity knocked- and then flooded in when we opened the door.

In order for Josh Recave to get the new machine shop wired up the weekend following the work weekend, we are going to move everything this weekend. All machine shop equipment will be taken off-line and moved to the south extension. This includes the small lathe, and the big drill press. Thus- please do not expect any of the said equipment to be usable for the duration of the work weekend through at least the following weekend. This will be a major effort and cause a bit of short term pain- but should pay dividends when the dust settles.

I am working on some other major enhancements to the car shop which aren't quite ready for public notice yet, but I hope that we will continue to have exciting developments with respect to improving of the utility of the car shop in 2018.

Thank you for everyone's cooperation!
Fair-weather Flanger

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 23, 2018, 10:15:32 PM »
Please, please , please remember that the items being moved are big and heavy, and if an accident happens it could be life changing. If everyone works slowly and together, the move will go just fine. Don't try to rush.. Think the moves out and discuss each move before each move...
Mike
Doing way too much to list...